The Student Room Group

OCR English Lit (A-Level) answering the question!!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting a question on here so hopefully I am doing it right!

I am doing OCR English Literature A-Level and have been consistently getting A*s throughout both year 12 and 13. In my most recent mocks, on the other hand…I got a C which has been really difficult to come to terms with. I am doing the dystopia module and have real trouble with ‘answering the question’, i.e. sticking to the wording and structuring my essay accordingly.

If anyone has any tips on a foolproof way (as I am the fool 😂) to structure paper 2 essays then this would be SO appreciated.

I am doing the dystopian module comparing ‘1984’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ if this helps at all.

Any advice to do with the Unseen extract would also be immensely useful as I did equally poorly on that in the mock (by completing misinterpreting the meaning of the passage).

Thank you 🙏🏼
advice on how u consistently got an A*?
Reply 2
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
advice on how u consistently got an A*?
I think having a good and coherent writing style is really valuable. Also wider reading (such as academic articles and novels) which can back up your points can be very impressive if done neatly and succinctly. Obviously learning quotes and facts but having super detailed knowledge (even if it is just a few points) also looks very impressive. I struggle with question focus, but this is a big part of any mark scheme so constantly referring to the key terms in the question is extremely important. Hope this helped somewhat!
Reply 3
Board-set exam questions are always very carefully designed to try to elicit a focused response from the candidate. If that's your starting-point, it sounds to me like you need to spend some time figuring out exactly what the question-setters are putting in the spotlight. Once that's established, then it's planning that'll be key. I'm pretty sure you'll be sick of hearing that, but it's so important. Can you provide an example of an essay title you've been given, regarding the dystopian texts, and I'll maybe be able to be more specific about what I mean. One other point - also similarly obvious - is make sure you're familiar with the Assessment Objectives, and what their weighting is on the task you've been given. Let me know either here, or by a message?
Reply 4
Original post by Wilf G
Board-set exam questions are always very carefully designed to try to elicit a focused response from the candidate. If that's your starting-point, it sounds to me like you need to spend some time figuring out exactly what the question-setters are putting in the spotlight. Once that's established, then it's planning that'll be key. I'm pretty sure you'll be sick of hearing that, but it's so important. Can you provide an example of an essay title you've been given, regarding the dystopian texts, and I'll maybe be able to be more specific about what I mean. One other point - also similarly obvious - is make sure you're familiar with the Assessment Objectives, and what their weighting is on the task you've been given. Let me know either here, or by a message?

Thank you for your response! The one that I answered in the mocks was something along the lines of “in dystopian literature, figures of authority often inspire love and fear. HFDYA?” My teacher thinks I didn’t address the ‘authority’ element sufficiently. We also recently did one about ‘isolation’ but again I dropped marks from not fully defining what ‘isolation’ means at the beginning of the essay. It’s hard for me because I always assume it’s a given that everyone knows what isolation means! 😂
Reply 5
Hi Katka 101.
Just picked this up. Sorry for the delay. Will respond properly asap. 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by Wilf G
Hi Katka 101.
Just picked this up. Sorry for the delay. Will respond properly asap. 🙂

No problem, whatsoever - no rush 😊
Reply 7
Hi again Katka 101.

Before I say anything, have you gone back to your teacher and asked for specifics about where you’re dropping marks? That should always be your first line of action.

Anyway, taking the ‘authority’ title, start by pulling it apart.

‘In Dystopian literature, figures of authority often inspire love and fear.’ How far do you agree?’

For your own sense of clarity, pick out and highlight (literally, with a pen!) the key words. Go on to analyse their meanings and connotations. These key words are those which will give you the substance of your essay. In this case, I’d do something like this :

· Dystopian. A recognised genre of literature, implying the opposite of Utopian. If Utopian is reflective of what’s perceived as ideal, then Dystopian is that which is arguably hell.
· Figures of authority. People/beings perceived as having power over others, usually. How has that authority been gained, or given? Fairly and rightly? Is it exercised with others’ consent? Are those exercising it able to do so through respect? Fear? Are the two mutually exclusive? In other words, can someone command both at the same time?
· Inspire. Usually has positive connotations, and its etymology lies in 'breathing in'. In this quotation, it’s as if the figures of authority are the breath of those they have authority over. Can that kind of control be positive? Can people even enjoy being inferior (to be defined later on) to others? If so, why? If not, why?
· Love. Obvious. But is it two-way? Does it have to be? If it’s not a two-way thing, then what are the consequent results in the one who loves? And in the one who is loved?
· Fear. Also obvious. First reaction is that fear is a one-way thing, but is it? Perhaps those who instil fear in others do so because they themselves are afraid. A standard explanation for bullying; self-protection.
· Love and fear (together). On first reading, not really a natural pairing. Can the two co-exist?

At this stage, you’re probably automatically applying these lines of thinking to the two texts. I hope so.

If you are, get yourself an A3 sheet of paper, and write down the key words as the basis of a mind map/bubble plan. Use coloured pens, highlighters; make it look attractive. Add little images; visual learners will retain valuable information if they can ‘see’ the picture on their planning sheet. You’ll feel like you’ve achieved something, for a start (which you have), but it also organises your thinking so that you can go back later and edit it; add to it - further thoughts, quotations, references etc.

Then, incorporate your version of what I’ve done above. Add evidence, quotations to support your thoughts. After that, you should be able to start tackling what the essay is asking you to do a classic HFDYA structure.

If this gets you thinking, great. This is Step 1. If you want to aim for Step 2, you could DM me, if you like. But first, have a go at what I’ve been suggesting here, which should help you address the comments your teacher(s) are making.

Needless to say, I hope this helps.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilf G
Hi again Katka 101.
Before I say anything, have you gone back to your teacher and asked for specifics about where you’re dropping marks? That should always be your first line of action.
Anyway, taking the ‘authority’ title, start by pulling it apart.
‘In Dystopian literature, figures of authority often inspire love and fear.’ How far do you agree?’

For your own sense of clarity, pick out and highlight (literally, with a pen!) the key words. Go on to analyse their meanings and connotations. These key words are those which will give you the substance of your essay. In this case, I’d do something like this :
· Dystopian. A recognised genre of literature, implying the opposite of Utopian. If Utopian is reflective of what’s perceived as ideal, then Dystopian is that which is arguably hell.
· Figures of authority. People/beings perceived as having power over others, usually. How has that authority been gained, or given? Fairly and rightly? Is it exercised with others’ consent? Are those exercising it able to do so through respect? Fear? Are the two mutually exclusive? In other words, can someone command both at the same time?
· Inspire. Usually has positive connotations, and its etymology lies in 'breathing in'. In this quotation, it’s as if the figures of authority are the breath of those they have authority over. Can that kind of control be positive? Can people even enjoy being inferior (to be defined later on) to others? If so, why? If not, why?
· Love. Obvious. But is it two-way? Does it have to be? If it’s not a two-way thing, then what are the consequent results in the one who loves? And in the one who is loved?
· Fear. Also obvious. First reaction is that fear is a one-way thing, but is it? Perhaps those who instil fear in others do so because they themselves are afraid. A standard explanation for bullying; self-protection.
· Love and fear (together). On first reading, not really a natural pairing. Can the two co-exist?
At this stage, you’re probably automatically applying these lines of thinking to the two texts. I hope so.
If you are, get yourself an A3 sheet of paper, and write down the key words as the basis of a mind map/bubble plan. Use coloured pens, highlighters; make it look attractive. Add little images; visual learners will retain valuable information if they can ‘see’ the picture on their planning sheet. You’ll feel like you’ve achieved something, for a start (which you have), but it also organises your thinking so that you can go back later and edit it; add to it - further thoughts, quotations, references etc.
Then, incorporate your version of what I’ve done above. Add evidence, quotations to support your thoughts. After that, you should be able to start tackling what the essay is asking you to do a classic HFDYA structure.
If this gets you thinking, great. This is Step 1. If you want to aim for Step 2, you could DM me, if you like. But first, have a go at what I’ve been suggesting here, which should help you address the comments your teacher(s) are making.
Needless to say, I hope this helps.

Ahh brilliant - this is immensely helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out - I shall start revising/planning essays in this way immediately. 🙏🏼

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending