The Student Room Group

I feel stuck in my degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Ah yes, I find myself self teaching stuff when I have to miss stuff because of coursework deadlines :tongue: good on you, that is a good skill to have, especially for maths.

Don't let me talk you out of studying maths though, I'd recommend Bath as a place to study (though who knows, they may let you study it at the uni that you don't want to be named :tongue:), it's just that for some areas of maths you need to work hard and engage with throughout the semester, it's abstract enough that you can't just pick it up at the end of the semester and sit the exams :tongue:

Was your maths work more computational or did it have theory and test you on proving theorems, stuff like that?

The assignments had a few proofs but the majority of the work was computational. Lol and why do you think I don't want to name my uni? What uni do you go to? I'll come there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by y0_3mma
In my university you can submit a request for a 'bespoke project' if what is on the projects lists is not interesting to you.. and you could do simulations.. all my friends who did simulations finished their projects long ago and it's much easier than having to do practical/hardware stuff which might not even work, then trying to fix it, problems, errors etc.

you can even talk to someone in your faculty/tutor, tell them which parts you like and they can suggest what kind of project might suit you.

The thing about starting projects in the summer is that I have no idea the amount of depth/breadth required to have a good project. I have no idea how to go about a simulation project and if I have to use a simulation it'll be MATLAB and I'm ok at best with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
The assignments had a few proofs but the majority of the work was computational. Lol and why do you think I don't want to name my uni? What uni do you go to? I'll come there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. The maths here, the computational bits are the 'accesible marks' (there for people to pass the unit, not easy but not difficult) and then the other half is theory, and I guess it's a mixture of understanding some things and remembering others, so it'll be quite similar to what you've seen already.

I don't know, I think someone said which uni you go to (a really good one :tongue:) and you asked them to delete it? :s-smilie: Or am I confusing you for someone else? :tongue:

I study MathSci at Bath :colondollar:

Something else you could think about is Accounting and Finance - some maths in there (not as much as a maths degree) but more essay writing and coursework and that kind of thing, sounds interesting in some places :tongue: like it has law, economics, finance, accounting, the odd maths/computing bits.
Original post by SeanFM
I see. The maths here, the computational bits are the 'accesible marks' (there for people to pass the unit, not easy but not difficult) and then the other half is theory, and I guess it's a mixture of understanding some things and remembering others, so it'll be quite similar to what you've seen already.

I don't know, I think someone said which uni you go to (a really good one :tongue:) and you asked them to delete it? :s-smilie: Or am I confusing you for someone else? :tongue:

I study MathSci at Bath :colondollar:

Something else you could think about is Accounting and Finance - some maths in there (not as much as a maths degree) but more essay writing and coursework and that kind of thing, sounds interesting in some places :tongue: like it has law, economics, finance, accounting, the odd maths/computing bits.

Hahaha so you saw that eh lol. Yeah I don't want any stalkers or people from my course discovering me.
The theory is usually harder from my experience (and very confusing) so it's easier to just watch an example and figure out how the computations work. I knew all this when I was picking out degrees (I was sort of obsessed with maths) so I felt like that way of maths would really frustrate me and that I wouldn't be able to cope especially considering after I looked at the STEP 1 paper and was dumbfounded and I couldn't answer 1 question on it. Also the rejection from Cambridge didn't help either.
Hahaha so you saw that eh lol. Yeah I don't want any stalkers or people from my course discovering me.
The theory is usually harder from my experience (and very confusing) so it's easier to just watch an example and figure out how the computations work. I knew all this when I was picking out degrees (I was sort of obsessed with maths) so I felt like that way of maths would really frustrate me and that I wouldn't be able to cope especially considering after I looked at the STEP 1 paper and was dumbfounded and I couldn't answer 1 question on it. Also the rejection from Cambridge didn't help either.

I see. :mmm:

it's okay, STEP papers are difficult and it takes practice to be able to answer those kinds of questions. I wouldn't say that uni exams (for this uni anyway, for places like Cambridge I'm sure it's a lot harder) are as difficult in relation to the content that you need to know, compared to STEP and A-level Maths/Further Maths if you see what I'm saying. Yes, that kind of intuitive thinking is required at uni but only to get those top, top marks. So Maths is quite difficult in some places but not as much as STEP makes it out to be when you first look at a paper, and people can/do well in those exams anyway after some practice.

I feel like I'll keep rambling so I'll just say, if you do think about Maths, have a look at some introductory Algebra/Analysis stuff and see if it's to your taste/the kind of thing you'd be okay at.
@Smack and @SeanFM I value your opinions.

I dunno. Try to balance out what feels right now with what's best for your future. The right answer is probably a function of both. Or this might just be late night rambling.
I'm midway (2/3) into a mechanical engineering degree and I don't really like it that much. I wish I had decided between either Law or Maths but especially Maths because I still like it a lot....
I like Law a lot too but I have no academic background in it either.

I didn't actually choose to do the maths degree out of fear for it being too hard and I feel like I've made the wrong decision.

What do I do now?

Thought i'd give you advice from the other side of things. I'm a former chemistry student and dropped out last year, towards the end of third year of a 4 year degree (Scottish degree). Since second year I realised it wasn't for me and started hating labs and most of my modules bar one. I stuck with it for another year and still my dislike for it got worse. After 5 months of deliberation I dropped out. Spent last summer thinking of other options and thought of Social Work which I applied to with no prior knowledge of the subject (similar to your situation with Law). I've just found out i got accepted and due to start in September.

All i'll tell you is that I have zero regrets about dropping out. The prospect of starting a new course is scary and I've had to save up to fund the first two years of this degree but I wouldn't have it any other way. People thought I was crazy and also told me to just stick with it for another year (I was that done with the course that I didn't even bother sitting my two resit exams to obtain a BSc - I just received a diploma instead) but if you feel that you really can't stay, don't let people put pressure on you to. Good luck with your decision. I'm happy to advise more if needed :smile:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Thought i'd give you advice from the other side of things. I'm a former chemistry student and dropped out last year, towards the end of third year of a 4 year degree (Scottish degree). Since second year I realised it wasn't for me and started hating labs and most of my modules bar one. I stuck with it for another year and still my dislike for it got worse. After 5 months of deliberation I dropped out. Spent last summer thinking of other options and thought of Social Work which I applied to with no prior knowledge of the subject (similar to your situation with Law). I've just found out i got accepted and due to start in September.

All i'll tell you is that I have zero regrets about dropping out. The prospect of starting a new course is scary and I've had to save up to fund the first two years of this degree but I wouldn't have it any other way. People thought I was crazy and also told me to just stick with it for another year (I was that done with the course that I didn't even bother sitting my two resit exams to obtain a BSc - I just received a diploma instead) but if you feel that you really can't stay, don't let people put pressure on you to. Good luck with your decision. I'm happy to advise more if needed :smile:

Thanks for your input but I think I'll stick with the degree. At the time I was really frustrated and I was feeling like everyone here is a lot smarter than I am and they get really good grades and that I've been studying a fair amount with not much progress. Maybe I'm just not cut out for uni. I'll try my very best to get at least a 2:1 (still aiming for a 1st though).

I don't think I can take the added stress of starting a new degree.
Turn down the heat
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Turn down the heat

Huh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending