The Student Room Group

History of Art Applicants 2015/16!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hi I'm doing the Cert HE at Oxford University. It is a part time course mostly online and requires no formal qualifications to enter. This is a great course for people who like me have already done a degree (architecture) and would like to bolster their knowledge in another discipline. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the course. I'm in the first year of what is a two to four year course and really enjoying it. There are generous bursaries and reductions for people on benefits.
Sounds interesting :smile: is it the same as a degree? Sorry- I've got no idea about certificates of higher education
Thank you for telling the answer to the email! It means I don't have to do it :smile: and same.. Also means I can't choose my firm and insurance choices either!!
Reply 243
Original post by FranScan97
Sounds interesting :smile: is it the same as a degree? Sorry- I've got no idea about certificates of higher education

The Cert HE is the first year of a degree. The second year is a diploma and the third year well they don't do a third year so you have to do it at another university like the Open University for instance.
Ah OK :smile: thanks for explaining
I've heard back from all 5 unis now, and I'm freaking out over possibly picking the wrong university for me. Got offers from Warwick, UCL and Exeter, and right now I feel like Warwick's the place for me.

University has been stressing me so much recently, little things such as not being able to write great essays as an international student to not knowing how to use the oven... Anyone else?
Me too. I've got mental health issues and I'm v worried about how I'm going to cope :L
Reply 247
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968961 My Blog I also have mental ill health read it if you like.
Thanks for sharing that - what an interesting story you have! It gives me a little hope that everything will turn out OK :smile:
Hi all! I've been following this thread for a while but I keep forgetting to post here haha! I've got offers from The Courtauld, Warwick, Birmingham, York, and Kent.
Is anyone else torn between Warwick and The Courtauld? My mind seems to be changing every day! Warwick appeals to me because it's an opportunity to live away from home and get that 'uni experience' (And a term in Venice!), and as I live fairly near central London I'd probably be getting the train in to The Courtauld. I've heard that a lot of the 'student life' at the Courtauld is centered around the accommodation in Duchy House (not sure if that's necessarily the case though) - Duchy is THE DREAM ACCOMMODATION but it's very expensive :c
To those hoping to go to the Courtauld - what are you guys thinking about the accommodation? It seems like a stressful process already :confused:
Duchy house looks amazing on the outside and the location is great, but looking at the virtual tour, I'm a little disappointed about the interior. I mean, I know it's student accommodation so my hopes shouldn't be that high, but the common room and kitchen look so small and everything looks like a hospital waiting room. I haven't really looked at the accommodation for other uni's, but does this tend to be the case?
Original post by hyacinthius
Duchy house looks amazing on the outside and the location is great, but looking at the virtual tour, I'm a little disappointed about the interior. I mean, I know it's student accommodation so my hopes shouldn't be that high, but the common room and kitchen look so small and everything looks like a hospital waiting room. I haven't really looked at the accommodation for other uni's, but does this tend to be the case?

Yeah you're right actually, the common room does look tiny and it looks as if a number of people cooking in the kitchen at one time could get hectic! Most other uni's I've been looked at have had accommodation with nicer interiors at lower prices. But then again, it is literally on the doorstop of the Courtauld, there's no better location! I've been looking at other accommodation around London and they're pretty similar in price with lots more room/facilities, but they're all around 30/40 mins away on the bus.
Original post by roselestrange
Yeah you're right actually, the common room does look tiny and it looks as if a number of people cooking in the kitchen at one time could get hectic! Most other uni's I've been looked at have had accommodation with nicer interiors at lower prices. But then again, it is literally on the doorstop of the Courtauld, there's no better location! I've been looking at other accommodation around London and they're pretty similar in price with lots more room/facilities, but they're all around 30/40 mins away on the bus.

Yeah ! As someone with an abject hate of waking up in the morning, how close to it is is defiantly, defiantly what's most attractive to me. all I'd need to do is get a job at the pret a manger and my life will be 100% easier :tongue:
Hey guys, I literally just firmed Warwick for History of Art! Anyone else going to Warwick in September?
I've insured Warwick and firmed Exeter, so maybe see you there in September!
So happy to see that there's a thread for us! Kind of gutted that at least on this page everyone is going to the unis that I applied to but decided not to accept/firm... I'm an EU student too so the criteria was not realistic enough for Finnish students (Courtauld wanted me to have 2 L's (= 7) and only 5% of tens of thousands of graduates can get that grade so it's nearly impossible!)

I applied to York, Kent, Birmingham UAL and Nottingham. I withdrew my applications from UAL (didn't have time to do the written assignments with a +40 hours per week office job) and University of Kent (they took too long to make a decision so I got fed up with them.) I got unconditionals from University of York and University of Nottingham and a conditional from Birmingham.

I firmed/accepted Nottingham. I would've gone for York but the courses were not for me since I'm more into baroque, rococo and the different movements of modernism (is that how you say it? English isn't first nor my second language so I'm terribly sorry if I make any mistakes.) I hope I made the right decision... I think just like with politics the university you go to is very important when it comes to your future. 😩 I don't really know which universities are looked up to in this field in England. I suppose Courtauld is one of them but it would've been nearly impossible for me to get in so I just saved myself the heartache of getting declined by them haha!

Anyway, are there any others who are going to Nottingham? I'm gonna read rest of the thread now or at least attempt to. Staring at a computer at work and then at home is not the most ideal thing but that's life to you sometimes!

EDIT: Gosh, I just realised that "+40h/wk office job" makes me sound like some thirty-year-old! I'm a 1996 baby so I'm 20 now. Still have that office job but I'm the youngest there haha 😁
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm still trying to pick between Warwick and The Courtauld! I've only got about a week left to decide :s-smilie::eek:
Original post by Emilyxoxo
Hey guys, I literally just firmed Warwick for History of Art! Anyone else going to Warwick in September?

I will most likely firm Warwick! :smile:

Also acquadigioia great to see another Finnish student here!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Just firmed Warwick! c: Might see some of you guys there in September! (Or is it October? Can't remember :smile:)
Warwick is a great choice. I'm so happy for you all ahhh 😁🎉

Moi at repecca! It really is nice to see someone from tiny (but not old) Finland on here ✌🏻️ (Now I can't decide whether or not to write in Finnish to you though hahahaha)

How did everyone find out that they wanted to study history of art? I'm lame so I only found out about this kind of a subject during my first yr in high school/upper secondary 😅 Wasn't too late though and I still would have done the subjects that I did in finals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending