The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Got offered completely wrong offer

I applied for CHSS in November to do history and politics, only got my offer back today (which already is ridiculous, puts me at a disadvantage for accommodation) and the offer was Visual art and Film. ?????? Couldn’t be the furthest thing away, I can’t do any art to save my life, if I for whatever reason decided to accept what would I do? I’d be completely useless! Sorry for the rant, does anyone know if this can be changed through an email of phone call or anything?
Reply 1
Hi unfortunately they have rejected you for CHSS but felt you were a good applicant so offered you an alternative course. Have you read the course details for the course offered? It is not an art course but an Art History, visual culture and film course - it looks to be a great course but obviously that depends if it’s your thing. If it’s your thing accept it but they state explicitly that applicants with alternative offers will not be able to switch course. If it’s not your thing then reject it and go for one of your other Uni offers.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I’ve just looked ok the offer spreadsheet and can see someone was offered VA and film - if this is you I can see you’re doing A level drama so this would be why they thought you may be interested in the alternative offer as they were unable to offer CHSS.
Reply 3
This is not me, last time I did drama was year 8 and I got a 2
Either decline the offer or see if there is another alternative course they might be willing to swap you to.
Original post by Jbbasher
I applied for CHSS in November to do history and politics, only got my offer back today (which already is ridiculous, puts me at a disadvantage for accommodation) and the offer was Visual art and Film. ?????? Couldn’t be the furthest thing away, I can’t do any art to save my life, if I for whatever reason decided to accept what would I do? I’d be completely useless! Sorry for the rant, does anyone know if this can be changed through an email of phone call or anything?

Hiya

This is a referral offer. According to the website, this is done when your application might not be as strong as those of other applicants, but they still think that you demonstrate the merit and potential to succeed at Durham. They won't be able to reconsider you for your original course, but I think it's worth ringing up admissions and asking whether they can check your eligibility for some other course.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest