The Student Room Group

Family member writing a reference

Ok, I understand you aren't allowed family members or friends to write your reference. But I have no choice, and how do they find out if it is a family member writing it if you had different last names? My uncle owns a business and i would rather have a reference than no reference. My old college tutor won't do me one and I have nobody else to ask. I've contacted the universities and all of them need a reference please help!! (Never mind I have managed to get one from my previous employer so this post isn't needed)
(edited 7 years ago)
If there's no way of them knowing he's your uncle then it'll be fine. Just make sure you've
both got your stories straight in the unlikely event that he's actually contacted by them.
Just make out as if you do not know him/her. If the names are the same. Change the second name.
Reply 3
People still use references?!

If an organisation is foolish enough to rely on references for any part of an application process then they deserve to be mislead.
You want to use a relative as an academic reference or is it a character one?

Original post by Girl1235
Ok, I understand you aren't allowed family members or friends to write your reference. But I have no choice, and how do they find out if it is a family member writing it if you had different last names? My uncle owns a business and i would rather have a reference than no reference. My old college tutor won't do me one and I have nobody else to ask. I've contacted the universities and all of them need a reference please help!!
Original post by Reue

If an organisation is foolish enough to rely on references for any part of an application process then they deserve to be mislead.

All of the jobs I have had have requested references. This is in the UCAS forum, though, but references are still asked for by universities. I'm not sure how much weight they place on them, but if the OP gets one from a family member when such a person is forbidden from providing one then it could get OP into trouble.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
You want to use a relative as an academic reference or is it a character one?

As a character one: I used to work there.. So it would all be truthful
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
All of the jobs I have had have requested references. This is in the UCAS forum, though, but references are still asked for by universities. I'm not sure how much weight they place on them, but if the OP gets one from a family member when such a person is forbidden from providing one then it could get OP into trouble.

Hi I understand that and it's only if I have no choice what so ever. I'm going to keep on nagging my previous tutor (although I feel bad) as it's unfair that I won't get into university without one and I thought I was a fairly good student
Hi I understand that and it's only if I have no choice what so ever. I'm going to keep on nagging my previous tutor (although I feel bad) as it's unfair that I won't get into university without one and I thought I was a fairly good student

I should point out that I am not intimately familiar with the rules for a UCAS reference as it is getting close to a decade ago that I went through the process. From what I recall a member of teaching staff provided the required reference, and I don't recall there being much hassle surrounding it. Why won't your form tutor provide you with a reference?
Original post by Reue

I'd be very surprised if anyone checks them for most jobs, unless it's for something like MI5.

You and your referee could make anything up and they'd be none the wiser.
Original post by JamesN88
I'd be very surprised if anyone checks them for most jobs, unless it's for something like MI5.

You and your referee could make anything up and they'd be none the wiser.

It depends. In certain industries then references can carry weight, especially if its from someone known by the interviewer.

OP its very odd your tutor wont provide one, you should have asked why and i would have complained to the college.

No idea what the reference is on UCAS if its personal or academic. Just be careful and if there is a style, then make sure he follows it. I doubt for UCAS it will carry much weight as they dont really know the referee.
Reply 11

A UCAS reference is not a character reference. It's an academic reference and really should come from your most recent academic tutor or similar.

Have a look at the guidelines:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/how-get-reference

For example "If possible, they should be someone who knows you academically and can talk about your work ethic, interaction with other students and your suitability for higher education or a future career."

If your college tutor refuses you should ask your head of year or principal.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending