The Student Room Group

German word order help please

I have my GCSE German speaking exam on Monday. But although I know how German word order works and I am able to do it fine in writing, in speaking I get word order all mixed up and I don't know what to do. I just blurt things out and the moment I say something I know it is all wrong but in the exam we don't have the time to stop and think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm...
- Weil, dass, obwohl etc all send the verb to the end of the sentence
- If you say "wenn ich Tennis spiele" (for example) then remember "verb comma verb", so the next part of your sentence after the comma should start with a verb e.g: wenn ich Tennis spiele, fühle ich mich glücklich
- Times and dates also change word order, eg you wouldn't say "Normalerweise ich spiele Tennis", you'd say "Normalerweise spiele ich Tennis"
- "time, manner, place" e.g "Samstags (time) spiele ich mit meiner Schwester ("manner") im Park (place) Tennis"

It's hard to think of specific rules haha! But those are the ones I know best, other than that I think you just pick it up the more you speak, but I guess that's not very helpful for you now :s-smilie:

Good luck though, and don't freak out! Just chill and be confident and you'll ace it :smile:
Original post by Kugelmugel
Hmm...
- Weil, dass, obwohl etc all send the verb to the end of the sentence
- If you say "wenn ich Tennis spiele" (for example) then remember "verb comma verb", so the next part of your sentence after the comma should start with a verb e.g: wenn ich Tennis spiele, fühle ich mich glücklich
- Times and dates also change word order, eg you wouldn't say "Normalerweise ich spiele Tennis", you'd say "Normalerweise spiele ich Tennis"
- "time, manner, place" e.g "Samstags (time) spiele ich mit meiner Schwester ("manner":wink: im Park (place) Tennis"

It's hard to think of specific rules haha! But those are the ones I know best, other than that I think you just pick it up the more you speak, but I guess that's not very helpful for you now :s-smilie:

Good luck though, and don't freak out! Just chill and be confident and you'll ace it :smile:

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest