The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B1 -REVISION THREAD- 17th May 2016 EXAM

Hi

Let's make this a REVISION THREAD for the B1 exam. Let's ask questions and answer other members questions too for our own revision. Post messages/hints/tips to help us succeed in our GCSEs and let's ace this first science exam. :-) If you ask an exam question please include the number of marks the question is worth and give feedback to answers which wouldn't achieve full marks so we do the best we can. This is not a substitute for your own revision.

First question: What is the main reason why we should be careful not to over-use antibiotics?[2]
(edited 8 years ago)
Over time, bacteria may become resistant to antibiotics due to a random mutation. This bacteria is able to reproduce so current antibiotics will not work. New ones have to be developed.

You should finish your course of antibiotics in order to make sure that all of the pathogens have been killed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akawais
Hi

Let's make this a REVISION THREAD for the B1 exam. Let's ask questions and answer other members questions too for our own revision. Post messages/hints/tips to help us succeed in our GCSEs and let's ace this first science exam. :-) If you ask an exam question please include the number of marks the question is worth and give feedback to answers which wouldn't achieve full marks so we do the best we can. This is not a substitute for your own revision.

First question: What is the main reason why we should be careful not to over-use antibiotics?

How many marks!?
Reply 3
Original post by aliceharmer15
How many marks!?

Sorry 2 marks
can somebody answer these 2 questions please???
Do detritus feeders just feed on dead organisms and their waste materials only? or do they also break down/decompose the dead organisms too?

When dead organisms are decomposed by microorganisms - CO2 is returned to the atmosphere when the microbes repire + they also release nutrients in the soil, which are taken up by plants so that they can grow?

Thank you!
Original post by shohaib712
can somebody answer these 2 questions please???
Do detritus feeders just feed on dead organisms and their waste materials only? or do they also break down/decompose the dead organisms too?

When dead organisms are decomposed by microorganisms - CO2 is returned to the atmosphere when the microbes repire + they also release nutrients in the soil, which are taken up by plants so that they can grow?

Thank you!

Detritus feeders break down both waste materials and dead organisms.

What you have said is more or less right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rahat.H
I've got a question, can someone help me on the questions where they give a bird that eats worms during like may and why it decreased them sorta questions ya get me?

Specify more, it's quite vague. Is it decay and the carbon cycle?
Original post by akawais
Hi

First question: What is the main reason why we should be careful not to over-use antibiotics?[2]

Over using antibiotics will cause mutations in the genes of bacteria and they can become resistant, as a result the bacteria will become resistant. Developing, new antibiotics takes time and costs money.
Reply 8
[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC0CC234D0C5278A9[/video]
Reply 9
Original post by akawais
Hi

So that the bacteria do not mutate or so that they don't become resistant.
Help with process of plant gravitropism and phototropism please?
Reply 11
The b1 exam last year was an absolute bitch, good luck you guys with biology :smile:
Original post by Certified
Help with process of plant gravitropism and phototropism please?

Yo there was a 6 marker on that stuff last year, i think everything about auxin is here:

environmental factors
light
(direction of the force of) gravity
moisture / water

effects on direction of growth
shoots grow upwards
shoots grow towards light
shoots grow against (the force of) gravity• roots grow downwards
roots grow towards moisture
roots grow towards (the force of) gravity

hormone
reference to auxin
unequal distribution of hormone causes unequalgrowth (rate

also phototropism is the response of light and gravitropism is the response to gravity
Anyone who wants to revise AQA B1 and test eachother, Kik me at stellarosewzw
im so scared or tomorrow i didnt realise how bad i was at cells
Original post by Elleee1234
im so scared or tomorrow i didnt realise how bad i was at cells

for AQA?
Is there a Skype revision group? I'll happily help and answer questions
Original post by _Xenon_
for AQA?

Yeah
have any idea what would the best topics for me to revise because i dont want to revise something thats worthless to me tomorrow afternoon
Original post by IAmAnTroll
Is there a Skype revision group? I'll happily help and answer questions

Can you please explain the carbon cycle in an easy way??
Original post by bikiniikilll
Can you please explain the carbon cycle in an easy way??

Carbon cycle -
Firstly, plants photosynthesise and take in carbon dioxide
plants and animals respire and release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere
Carbon is transferred to animals when they eat green plants
When the plants and animals die microorganisms that feed on the dead organisms respire and release carbon dioxide. fossil fuels formed by dead organisms release carbon dioxide when combusted

Quick Reply

Latest