The Student Room Group

Will a lack of money turn our relationship sour?

Im in a bit of a tough spot right now, tried finding a job but no where wants to hire me. This has left me with virtually no money to spend on myself or my partner. I spent what little I have going to visit my partner, but I dont have any money to take them to meals, buy them gifts, pay for little things e.t.c and I'm worried this will have a negative effect on our relationship in the long term as we wont be able to do much like go on nice romantic holidays or even go to a zoo... It sucks big time.

What do you all think?
Original post by Anonymous
Im in a bit of a tough spot right now, tried finding a job but no where wants to hire me. This has left me with virtually no money to spend on myself or my partner. I spent what little I have going to visit my partner, but I dont have any money to take them to meals, buy them gifts, pay for little things e.t.c and I'm worried this will have a negative effect on our relationship in the long term as we wont be able to do much like go on nice romantic holidays or even go to a zoo... It sucks big time.

What do you all think?

It shouldnt do, the time you spend together should be important not spending money on each other.
Time is money.
Reply 3
It shouldn't have a negative impact on your relationship. Going out, getting gifts and all that is nice but what is more important is just being with the person you love. My partner has never had much money and we've been going strong for 7 years now so I wouldn't worry about it. If your partner is the right person for you, they wont care about not treated with gifts or days out often.
Reply 4
A job will come up, don't worry. Just try not to let the money problem get in the way of how you feel each other. Make sure you're open and honest with your partner about your financial situation and if they love you they won't worry about material things like dates and holidays. There are plenty of things to do that don't cost a lot of money, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you communicate properly and spend quality time with each other.
if you are in love then money does not matter
Original post by Anonymous

What do you all think?

Money always helps, but not the most important thing
Lack of money is a potential source of stress.

Talk to your partner and agree a plan together. You might wnat to explain you know the situation , but you are doing xyz to get a job. That should reassure her.

You can do plenty of small thoughtful things for free or for little money, which shows you care. She might appreciate that more than simple gifts which anyone can buy.

If you do the above imo it gives you the best chance of surviving, then when you do have money you both know you went through a tough period.

Ofc if they are materialistic and shallow, then you are a bit stuffed.
Reply 8
Thank you for the responses guys, gives me some clarity on my situation :smile:

Original post by heybabez
A job will come up, don't worry. Just try not to let the money problem get in the way of how you feel each other. Make sure you're open and honest with your partner about your financial situation and if they love you they won't worry about material things like dates and holidays. There are plenty of things to do that don't cost a lot of money, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you communicate properly and spend quality time with each other.

Original post by 999tigger
Lack of money is a potential source of stress.

Talk to your partner and agree a plan together. You might wnat to explain you know the situation , but you are doing xyz to get a job. That should reassure her.

You can do plenty of small thoughtful things for free or for little money, which shows you care. She might appreciate that more than simple gifts which anyone can buy.

If you do the above imo it gives you the best chance of surviving, then when you do have money you both know you went through a tough period.

Ofc if they are materialistic and shallow, then you are a bit stuffed.

They are conscious of my problem and understand my struggle, but Im still worried that it is taking a toll on our relationship, even if they dont show it.
Well you either know them or you dont. Its up to you to pursue an effective job search strategy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending