The Student Room Group

Ran over a rabbit :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ciel.
Posting your story gives everyone the right to criticise your actions *shrugs*. It wasn't my intention to make you feel bad about yourself though. If that happened to me, I'd probably freak out really badly and cause a car accident (no worries I don't have a licence. YET).

FYI, if you hit an animal on your driving test, you'll fail immediately if you react.
Reply 61
Original post by XMaramena
FYI, if you hit an animal on your driving test, you'll fail immediately if you react.

Are you kidding me? Any animal, even cats and dogs?

if you react inappropriately. for instance if you hit a deer you cannot just carry on with your driving test... you would have to stop and assess the damage etc.
Reply 63
Original post by Ciel.
Are you kidding me? Any animal, even cats and dogs?

Original post by the bear
if you react inappropriately. for instance if you hit a deer you cannot just carry on with your driving test... you would have to stop and assess the damage etc.

Yes, true, if you hit an animal that is large enough to cause vehicular damage - such as a deer - then yes, you must find a safe place to pull over and inspect the damage.

Hitting a dog may require you to find a safe place to pull over and report it, in accordance with the law.

Hitting a cat however may cause a test fail if you pull over, unless you ask the examiner first and and find a suitable place to park.

Any abnormal driving actions that result of your distress, panic or guilt, such as making an emergency stop before hitting it, swerving to avoid it, or stopping in an unsafe place directly after the collision (two of which I did with the case of the rabbit), will most likely result in a test fail. If you have a very kind examiner, they may cancel the test rather than fail you, which would allow you to re-book a new test at a later date at no charge.

When I took a few manual lessons before getting my UK licence however, I recall lots of stories of students hitting birds, rabbits, squirrels and such like and all being failed because of braking or swerving to avoid them.

The only way that in my situation with the rabbit, had I been on a driving test, could I have passed is if I had not showed the distress that I did, and also explained after my actions that I only undertook them because I had first ascertained there was no traffic that could have been affected by my actions. Even then, I think that would largely be the difference between failing and cancelling. It's unlikely that an examiner would continue a test after you've run over a rabbit 9 times, no matter how calm you are. I was not calm - I was freaking out, panicking and shaking trying to kill it before it suffered any more.

I won't ever forget watching it convulse in my rear camera before I finished it off. Horrible experience, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
Ran over a rabbit today, it just ran into the road in front of me and froze. Couldn't stop in time, got out to check it but it was still trying to run away, injured back legs. Had to run it over again until it was dead :frown:

Feel sick, never want to drive again. I hope I did the right thing.

You should have pulled out a bladed instrument. After realising that wasnt a knife, you then pull out a big f off survival knife (now thats a knife!) and made yourself a roadkill sarnie.

But even if you left the rabbit there, some other animal would eventually come along and eat it, a fox most probably. A fox may even take it and bury it somewhere to save it for a later time when it cant find food so easily. Or it may take it back to its den to feed to its cubs.

With regards to running it over, chances are it would have come a cropper at some point anyway. Probably by way of teeth at its neck which is just as unpleasant as being hit by a crappy car.
Wabbit session!
Ran over a rabbit today, it just ran into the road in front of me and froze. Couldn't stop in time, got out to check it but it was still trying to run away, injured back legs. Had to run it over again until it was dead :frown:

Feel sick, never want to drive again. I hope I did the right thing.

You did the merciful thing. Many people keep on going or try and take the animal to a vet, when it's clear the first strike left it incompatible with life. It hurts, but often in situations like this a Coup de grâce is the kindest choice.
Did you eat it? rabbit tastes good apparently :wink:
you can't be serious...
why are the replies so messed up? if it got injured, you don't just kill it, you take it to a vet or something wth
Original post by animeamanda1412
why are the replies so messed up? if it got injured, you don't just kill it, you take it to a vet or something wth

You should extend your generosity to any injured rats or pigeons that you come across.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
You should extend your generosity to any injured rats or pigeons that you come across.

ive come across dead rats and pigeons but never across injured ones, and if i ever did i wouldn't ignore them, i would take them to a vet or smth; Im an animal lover after all
Original post by animeamanda1412
ive come across dead rats and pigeons but never across injured ones, and if i ever did i wouldn't ignore them, i would take them to a vet or smth; Im an animal lover after all

Well at least you're consistent.
got em

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending