The Student Room Group

Help! Wrongly sacked from job?

Hi
My friends Chechen girl friend was unfairly dismissed from her entertainment /animation job at the holiday camp. I work there too. She has been dismissed for gross misconduct and was very upset. From what I saw she was a very honest worker and had done nothing wrong. She has had to return home to Prague as she was not allowed to get Jobseekers or Income support which is not fair either. She has worked so why should she not be allowed anything?

Her boy friend is devastated and heartbroken. He cries a lot and has threatened to quit his job there and run off to Prague plus he has developed other issues. We feel she has being discriminated against that's what she told us because of her religion and where she's from.

What action can she take to get her job back? She was very popular amongst the other holiday makers and regularly sent her wages home as she doesn't drink or buy a lot. Such a shame as she was gonna treat herself before the end of the season.

Her family are very angry back home with the system that has let her down. They were proud when she came now that's all over.

What grounds does a company have to accuse someone of Gross Misconduct? I feel its very harsh and totally unlike her. :frown:

Really hope she gets her job back and the money owed to her.
You haven't said why she got sacked. Gross misconduct can mean anything from swearing at the boss to molesting customers.

Would I be correct in assuming she's not an EU citizen? If so she wouldn't be entitled to claim benefits.
(edited 7 years ago)
something must have happened to be fired for gross misconduct, I get that youre on her side but sometimes people don't tell the whole truth or hide some aspects of the story so they don't look bad and don't have to own up that it was their own fault so while shes saying she did nothing it doesn't mean she actually did nothing
I got sacked too but I'm not trying to deflect the blame on others. I'm already starting to look for another. If the Czech Republic doesn't have good job sites then it's not the problem of the UK. Though I'm certain she does feel remorse for her actions and will be a better person for that. She'll be back at work in her country sooner rather than later :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
My friends Chechen girl friend was unfairly dismissed from her entertainment /animation job at the holiday camp. I work there too. She has been dismissed for gross misconduct and was very upset. From what I saw she was a very honest worker and had done nothing wrong. She has had to return home to Prague as she was not allowed to get Jobseekers or Income support which is not fair either. She has worked so why should she not be allowed anything?

Her boy friend is devastated and heartbroken. He cries a lot and has threatened to quit his job there and run off to Prague plus he has developed other issues. We feel she has being discriminated against that's what she told us because of her religion and where she's from.

What action can she take to get her job back? She was very popular amongst the other holiday makers and regularly sent her wages home as she doesn't drink or buy a lot. Such a shame as she was gonna treat herself before the end of the season.

Her family are very angry back home with the system that has let her down. They were proud when she came now that's all over.

What grounds does a company have to accuse someone of Gross Misconduct? I feel its very harsh and totally unlike her. :frown:

Really hope she gets her job back and the money owed to her.

What nationality passport does she hold?
How long was she living in the UK for?
How long had she been working in this job for?
She needed to see an adviser or lawyer before going home.

1. She should have seen someone before she left. It would be a lot harder now she has, as they could check on whether she had a case. The non payment of JSA after a dismissal such as this sounds correct, although there may be an exception if its being disputed. Same for UK workers, They normally sanction you for 13 weeks if you have been dismissed.

2. She can bring a claim or seek to recover unpaid wages and holiday pay.

3. Unless shes been working there 2 years as an employee then she cant claim for unfair dimsissal and you dont provide any info. It needs to be seen by an adviser and then a lawyer. Same for UK workers. It sounds like she was more a casual or contract seasonal worker. Workers are not employees and they have far fewer rights. Thats why someone would need to interview and see her contract.

4. There is not enough information for the religious discrimination. Ig sge gas the evidence then she could bring a claim. It should be reviewed by an experienced CAB adviser or a lawyer.

Its very rare for someone to be given their job back. If a claim is successful it normally results in £ damages.
Unless she has been there two years she can't bring a claim for unfair dismissal. I sincerely doubt she'd have been fired for gross misconduct for no reason, she probably isn't telling you what happened. Don't get involved yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
I got sacked too but I'm not trying to deflect the blame on others. I'm already starting to look for another. If the Czech Republic doesn't have good job sites then it's not the problem of the UK. Though I'm certain she does feel remorse for her actions and will be a better person for that. She'll be back at work in her country sooner rather than later :smile:

Getting a job in Czech Republic is not easy at all there is still a lot of rivalry and conflict and lack of trust between different peoples and gangsters going way back to the troubles of 1990s even though things are better now, nice new buildings etc its still not easy.

You often have to know the right people and that often means getting freindly with gangsters or extremists :angry:
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger

What nationality passport does she hold?
How long was she living in the UK for?
How long had she been working in this job for?
She needed to see an adviser or lawyer before going home.

1. She should have seen someone before she left. It would be a lot harder now she has, as they could check on whether she had a case. The non payment of JSA after a dismissal such as this sounds correct, although there may be an exception if its being disputed. Same for UK workers, They normally sanction you for 13 weeks if you have been dismissed.

2. She can bring a claim or seek to recover unpaid wages and holiday pay.

3. Unless shes been working there 2 years as an employee then she cant claim for unfair dimsissal and you dont provide any info. It needs to be seen by an adviser and then a lawyer. Same for UK workers. It sounds like she was more a casual or contract seasonal worker. Workers are not employees and they have far fewer rights. Thats why someone would need to interview and see her contract.

4. There is not enough information for the religious discrimination. Ig sge gas the evidence then she could bring a claim. It should be reviewed by an experienced CAB adviser or a lawyer.

Its very rare for someone to be given their job back. If a claim is successful it normally results in £ damages.

I'm not sure with passports Czech and Russian I think
She live in UK for 5 or 6 month
She work in holiday camp as cleaner for 1 month then as entertainment staff for 2 month I estimate.
She not seen lawyer in UK or citizen adviser burro :frown:
She hasnt worked long enough to get certain employment rights, so they can dismiss her whenever they want. She would need to look at her contract.
They were probably perfectly fine to terminate the contract.

The best she can hope for is to be paid the money she is owed.

She wouldnt be entitled to JSA as pointed out in 1 above and she wouldnt have any rights v unfair dismissal as eveb if she was an employee then she hadnt worked long enough.

She could only pursue a claim for religious discrimination with evidence. Her case sounds very weak from what you have said.
Reply 9
Original post by PinkAcid
something must have happened to be fired for gross misconduct, I get that youre on her side but sometimes people don't tell the whole truth or hide some aspects of the story so they don't look bad and don't have to own up that it was their own fault so while shes saying she did nothing it doesn't mean she actually did nothing

Her boyfriend say that she sweared and used some bad words and threatened a teenager guest after he joked about her country. Plus with something else she make errors on her time sheet. Not sure what error was.

But she got insulted about her homeland ISIS etc and she defended herself. Why did she get sacked?
Normally she is very popular with the holiday makers guests etc. She was made very sad when she get sacked. Her English boyfriend is devastated she gone home :frown:
Her boyfriend say that she sweared and used some bad words and threatened a teenager guest after he joked about her country. Plus with something else she make errors on her time sheet. Not sure what error was.

But she got insulted about her homeland ISIS etc and she defended herself. Why did she get sacked?
Normally she is very popular with the holiday makers guests etc. She was made very sad when she get sacked. Her English boyfriend is devastated she gone home :frown:

Because in customer service you have to remain calm. Its not the right way to defend yourself or threaten people. Very unprofessional. A lot of people would get fired if they swore at customers. She should have hel her tongue and of the guest was being difficult plus she couldnt handle it then she could have informed her manager or supervisor. She will just have to find another job and come back.
(edited 7 years ago)

She got sacked because you aren't allowed to threaten people?? also It's unprofessional to swear etc - if there is an issue with guests you inform the manager. Sounds like it was a fair dismissal imo
Btw if youd just told me that information from the start, then it would have saved a lot of time.

Falsifying time sheets is gross misconduct in any company as it's essentially fraud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending