The Student Room Group

A* French

So my French Reading and Listening exams are in 3 days and I am aiming to get A* in both of them. I have done 2 written assessments and 1 speaking assessment and scored A A A. All three papers have a minimum of 29 marks for A* and I got 26 24 25 respectively. However, my teacher said there is no maximum mark??

Anyway, I asked her if it would be possible for me to get an A* overall if I got full marks in the reading and listening tests but she said it would not be possible. Is that true and if so then why not since I am only a few marks off A*s in the 3 exams I have already done?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
AQA Exam Board btw
(edited 7 years ago)
The controlled assessments are either out of 40 or 50, there is a maximum mark, the grade boundaries change every year though. It is still possible for you to get A* with As in your controlled assessments. If you have 60% high A, 40% can easily bump you up to an A*. It will make a difference that you were only a few marks off, and you don't even know if your marks are actually an A grade.

If you are confident on reading and listening, please don't worry about it, I'm 99% positive you can still get an A*. good luck :smile:
Because you've only done one speaking assessment. Writing and speaking are marked out of 60 each, so each controlled assessment is marked out of 30. So say if you got 25/30 in your one speaking, that's an A but because both marks are combined, it's 25/60 which is worth 38 UMS and is an E grade. If you got 26 and 24 in writing, that's 50/60 which is a B and worth 70 UMS. You need 270 UMS overall to get an A*. The highest amount of UMS points you can get from a listening or reading paper is 60. So if you got 60 on both papers, that would give you 120 UMS, but if you added that to your controlled assessment you'd have 228 UMS, which is a B.
It's also worth noting that 29 isn't the minimum mark needed for an A* in writing and speaking. You need (at least) 2 28s in writing and a 27 and a 28 in speaking to get an A*. The maximum mark is 30 for each controlled assessment.
Reply 4
Original post by lostintrnslation
It's also worth noting that 29 isn't the minimum mark needed for an A* in writing and speaking. You need (at least) 2 28s in writing and a 27 and a 28 in speaking to get an A*. The maximum mark is 30 for each controlled assessment.

Ok thanks for the information but we only do 1 speaking assessment..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jazz_xox_
The controlled assessments are either out of 40 or 50, there is a maximum mark, the grade boundaries change every year though. It is still possible for you to get A* with As in your controlled assessments. If you have 60% high A, 40% can easily bump you up to an A*. It will make a difference that you were only a few marks off, and you don't even know if your marks are actually an A grade.

If you are confident on reading and listening, please don't worry about it, I'm 99% positive you can still get an A*. good luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Noor Hamadi
So my French Reading and Listening exams are in 3 days and I am aiming to get A* in both of them. I have done 2 written assessments and 1 speaking assessment and scored A A A. All three papers have a minimum of 29 marks for A* and I got 26 24 25 respectively. However, my teacher said there is no maximum mark??

Anyway, I asked her if it would be possible for me to get an A* overall if I got full marks in the reading and listening tests but she said it would not be possible. Is that true and if so then why not since I am only a few marks off A*s in the 3 exams I have already done?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
AQA Exam Board btw

Why would you trust what your teacher says over people online? Why would she be lying to you?

Anyway you have to be realistic with yourself, I don't want to be harsh but it's unlikely that you'll get full marks in the exam and pull of an A* overall
An A is an excellent grade. Good luck :smile:
why do you only do one? i do aqa gcse french and we had to do two of both..
Reply 8
if you get full ups in the exams all be fine , but you don't need full marks . Good luck I've got the exam swell on tuesday

Quick Reply

Latest