The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL OPTIONS: Should I do graphic communication?

I'm starting A-levels in September and I am struggling with choosing my options. I am dead set on doing Economics and Maths but I'm not sure on anything else. My sixth form has block options and none of the other blocks have subjects I am particularly interested in.
I've been contemplating graphic communication and researching into the subject. BUT I haven't done GCSE Art (actually I haven't done art since year 8). I would really if someone could tell me more about it and tell me if GCSE art is crucial :smile: Thanks.
Original post by misslovinggrace
I'm starting A-levels in September and I am struggling with choosing my options. I am dead set on doing Economics and Maths but I'm not sure on anything else. My sixth form has block options and none of the other blocks have subjects I am particularly interested in.
I've been contemplating graphic communication and researching into the subject. BUT I haven't done GCSE Art (actually I haven't done art since year 8). I would really if someone could tell me more about it and tell me if GCSE art is crucial :smile: Thanks.

No. gcse art isn't crucial - I did graphics gcse (so much fun :smile:) did you choose any technology subjects during your gcses? you will be fine if you've got any tech gcse's because they help a bit as well but it doesn't matter if you don't. not sure what it includes myself since i'm doing it next september but I saw some folders on the college open evening I'm going to and they looked amazing! they seem to do a lot of drawing / computer cad/cam / and things like photoshop & adobe illustrator and adobe software. its a fun subject to do imo :smile:
maybe try and find out if your sixth form offers any taster sessions for the course? if not you can always switch or try another option in the first few weeks
Original post by bizzy_penguin
No. gcse art isn't crucial - I did graphics gcse (so much fun :smile:) did you choose any technology subjects during your gcses? you will be fine if you've got any tech gcse's because they help a bit as well but it doesn't matter if you don't. not sure what it includes myself since i'm doing it next september but I saw some folders on the college open evening I'm going to and they looked amazing! they seem to do a lot of drawing / computer cad/cam / and things like photoshop & adobe illustrator and adobe software. its a fun subject to do imo :smile:
maybe try and find out if your sixth form offers any taster sessions for the course? if not you can always switch or try another option in the first few weeks

Ahh thanks :smile: I'm doing no technology courses though :/ (Accounting, economics, business studies etc.) Is there much physical drawing involved in graphics though? I think thats my main concern..
Ahh thanks :smile: I'm doing no technology courses though :/ (Accounting, economics, business studies etc.) Is there much physical drawing involved in graphics though? I think thats my main concern..

I can't really say regarding a level graphics, but for gcse graphics we were doing editing on photoshop mainly & 2D design, we developed our initial design ideas in our sketchbooks :smile:- this could be a basic design you don't have to be great, just put enough effort into it, as the majority i think is done on the computer. I think you make a product as well to do with advertising also :smile: If your school has a computer system it should have some software on their called Photoshop/2D Design - play around on these or perhaps watch some youtube tutorials may help? :smile: most of the skills will be taught though and teachers will give you advice on your projects - there will be some people who will be in the same situation as you - in our a level design class people came from technology and art from post gcse.
Original post by bizzy_penguin
I can't really say regarding a level graphics, but for gcse graphics we were doing editing on photoshop mainly & 2D design, we developed our initial design ideas in our sketchbooks :smile:- this could be a basic design you don't have to be great, just put enough effort into it, as the majority i think is done on the computer. I think you make a product as well to do with advertising also :smile: If your school has a computer system it should have some software on their called Photoshop/2D Design - play around on these or perhaps watch some youtube tutorials may help? :smile: most of the skills will be taught though and teachers will give you advice on your projects - there will be some people who will be in the same situation as you - in our a level design class people came from technology and art from post gcse.

Ahh okay thank you :biggrin:
Ahh okay thank you :biggrin:

no problem :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest