The Student Room Group

Rumoured C1 Maths paper?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asharma10
this paper should surely be easier as last year was hard

The opposite, often after a year group found a paper difficult, exam boards use the same types of questions and keep it hard... to make it easier to create grade boundaries

edit: because of this, it might be helpful to gauge the difficulty of the questions on last years paper (if you say it was hard) and practise at that difficulty.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think differentiation might come up...
Reply 22
Original post by LewisClothier
The opposite, often after a year group found a paper difficult, exam boards use the same types of questions and keep it hard... to make it easier to create grade boundaries

edit: because of this, it might be helpful to gauge the difficulty of the questions on last years paper (if you say it was hard) and practise at that difficulty.

This makes zero sense because the papers are written before the previous year group has sat the papers.
Original post by asharma10
this paper should surely be easier as last year was hard

I have to disagree - last years C1, I thought, was really not too bad!
Original post by Zacken
This makes zero sense because the papers are written before the previous year group has sat the papers.

So the 2016 paper was written last year? Or am I being confused
Original post by Zacken
The entire paper will be maths. I can guarantee it.

PRSOM :rofl:
There is going to be that one person who completes the paper in 20m and is going to sit back and look cool.
Original post by iMacJack

They write papers 18 months before it is sat by students?
If you can't answer a question with maths, you're probably sitting a wrong paper
Edexcel always has a pattern to its questions
E.g. there's always differentiation and integration in the beginning with the distribution graph at the end
Original post by Dysprosium
There is going to be that one person who completes the paper in 20m and is going to sit back and look cool.

I did the 2015 paper in 40... :/ So im kinda close to the "puts shades on and lights up a blunt" level of chill
Original post by Zacken

Hmmm... I've been misinformed clearly, oh well, thanks for clarifying! :biggrin:
I think there'll be a find the area of a triangle on the graph question as well as that's not been on for a while. I'd say the exam will be on par with recent exams (maybe just a tad easier than last year's as a lot of the hard parts of the syllabus came up then).

Did completing the square pop up last year? Because if not, I think that'll be on.
Last year's paper was one of the easiest ever made. I've done some 08/09 papers that were harder.

I just hope they don't do any triangle questions. Got 74/75 on my last 2 papers, just need to stop doing silly mistakes.
Lol with AS/A2 level Maths, it's virtually impossible to predict questions. GCSE maths yes but A level Maths no. Each year many of us try however exam boards always seem to have surprises with new 'tricks' up their sleeves. Best thing to do is just to keep on practising. The more questions you do, the better.
Reply 35
Exam boars have to test every part of the specfication within a three year period ( i think, i remember reading this somewhere)
however this is for AQA not sure if this applies to Edexcel
bear™ has consulted the runes....

runes4.png
Original post by iMacJack

I was told it was two years not one.
This may be irrelevant as it's English Literature but I'm sure it still applies as it's still A levels. But I remember our English teacher telling us about her brief experience observing AQA's exam committee whose in charge of writing/drafting papers. From what I remember she said something along the lines 'as we were talking, he had the 2014 papers in his hand which I was shocked because it was 2012 but already the 2014 papers were out...made and later locked in the storage room. I thought Oh my God, poor students'.
Back at the time, Lol our whole class went nuts shouting miss, how could you? Why didn't you look in that paper since it was the paper our year is going to sit. She just laughed :tongue:
Original post by imran_
Exam boars have to test every part of the specfication within a three year period ( i think, i remember reading this somewhere)
however this is for AQA not sure if this applies to Edexcel

That tends to apply to all boards I think
Reply 39
c1 is fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending