The Student Room Group

How to teach yourself Poetry in 10 days (English Literature Gcse)

It's around 10 days until my Poetry exam and our teachers haven't taught it yet, so just wondering how you'd go about teaching yourself it all in 10 days or so.
I think we're doing the Edexcel Certificate English Literature (KET0), anyones else doing this have the annotations of the poems?
Reply 1
Original post by MariumKazmi
It's around 10 days until my Poetry exam and our teachers haven't taught it yet, so just wondering how you'd go about teaching yourself it all in 10 days or so.
I think we're doing the Edexcel Certificate English Literature (KET0), anyones else doing this have the annotations of the poems?

youtube has detailed annotations & explanations for everything
Reply 2
Original post by gameofno
youtube has detailed annotations & explanations for everything

Thanks, just had a little look around Youtube and it seems like there's one person doing the poems i think we're supposed to be studying. Do you know how to answer the questions themselves though, especially the unseen poetry part of the exam. Any techniques?

gcse pod
it goes through each poem in a video very helpful
Reply 4
Thanks, just had a little look around Youtube and it seems like there's one person doing the poems i think we're supposed to be studying. Do you know how to answer the questions themselves though, especially the unseen poetry part of the exam. Any techniques?

im doing the IGCSE but here this vid helped me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMN3EKFdVQ and just try to practice unseen poems and texts
Reply 5

also for poetry have a para for everything.
e.g. para 1 of your answer discuss form
para 2 discuss language
para 3 discuss structure

things like that. make sure to mention what techniques are used e.g. simile, enjambment, and talk about the effect that these techniques creates (e.g. this simile in line 4 creates pity...) or (the use of enjambment allows the poem to flow so that blah blah blah can be conveyed)
Reply 6
Mr Bruff on YouTube is really good! I use him for all the literature papers and its worth learning all the techniques! I structure mine using CATSLIP, Context, Audience, Tone/Theme, Structure, Language, Intention, Purpose

Quick Reply

Latest