The Student Room Group

What is the solution to the refugee problem?

I mean, clearly there are a lot of refugees from Syria and Iraq wanting to come to a safer place like Europe and especially the UK. We have to provide at least some of them with a safe place to live in the UK- during the Second World War, a lot of other countries took in British refugees and cared for them.

But there is also the problem of security this time- we have to realise that a lot of these refugees believe in an ideology that hates British values and wants to attack us. Look at Germany for example, all the rapes that happened and all the terror plots
And there is also the issue of money- it is so expensive to give them homes and food and everything and it is a bit of a slap in the face for a hard working British person who has to pay for everything by himself. Should we give them the right to work and save the money we have to spend on food and homes for them?

Should we even take in refugees at all? Are they really in danger? Surely there are safe areas in Syria where they can move to. Maybe we should instead try and finish off the war and actually remove the source of the problem?

What are your opinions, guys?
Reply 1
Solution: hoping 4 the best.
Aerial bombardment.
Especially the Calais camps, I'd have public executions for everyone in it broadcast on prime-time TV, live.
(edited 7 years ago)
Put them on a boat and send them all back to where they came from. Build a big fence to stop them returning and continue with our happy lives in Britain. Let's forget about what's happening and make the West a nice little paradise for us.
Reply 4
Original post by Jonathan Crane
Aerial bombardment.

ahahah
Reply 5
Buy an unused island and put all the refugees on there with justin bieber
Reply 6
Original post by Madeline_H95
Put them on a boat and send them all back to where they came from. Build a big fence to stop them returning and continue with our happy lives in Britain. Let's forget about what's happening and make the West a nice little paradise for us.

Bury yourself in the ground. Preferably quite deep so that the chances of you emerging again are 0. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nuba123
Bury yourself in the ground. Preferably quite deep so that the chances of you emerging again are 0. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My solution is great. It stops the refugees coming and allows Britain to grow without needing to support lots of uneducated poorly skilled migrants who need benefits to live as they're poor when entering
Honestly? Treat them as refugees.

Regardless of their 'culture' we should take as many as we can realistically handle and not marginalise them, and then once the situation in the Middle East becomes stable (whether that's tomorrow or in 100 years time) send them back. I have no problem with people coming here because we do need to offer them help, whether we like to admit it or not. However if they're going to stay here, regardless of how they got here, then I'd like them to get to the back of the queue and emigrate legitimately like everyone else.

If they agree to come into any country in Europe as a refugee then they should agree to be sent back straight to where they came from once it's safe.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nuba123
Again, bury yourself in the ground so that the chances of you emerging are 0. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A pathetic childish response, why not have a reasoned debate?
Only a tiny proportion are refugees in my opinion.
They are migrants and in my opinion again, ILLEGAL MIGRANTS

Well, if you ask me you're entire argument is childish. "Let's build a wall." This isn't legoland and you can't just build a wall everytime someone annoys you. This isn't a playground it's real lives and people you're talking about so have a bit of decency because I know that you probably think that refugees are coming here for money but that entire idea is preposterous why would you risk the lives of your children just to get a few more bucks clearly you're trying to prevent them getting blown into smithereens. Again bury yourself in the ground so that the chances of you emerging are 0 thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nuba123
Well, if you ask me you're entire argument is childish. "Let's build a wall." This isn't legoland and you can't just build a wall everytime someone annoys you. This isn't a playground it's real lives and people you're talking about so have a bit of decency because I know that you probably think that refugees are coming here for money but that entire idea is preposterous why would you risk the lives of your children just to get a few more bucks clearly you're trying to prevent them getting blown into smithereens. Again bury yourself in the ground so that the chances of you emerging are 0 thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My gosh this is a long run-on sentence. Might want to get that sorted out before GCSEs.

If you want to build a wall better get started yourself because I ain't funding that with my taxes 😙😘

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoping4thebest
I mean, clearly there are a lot of refugees from Syria and Iraq wanting to come to a safer place like Europe and especially the UK. We have to provide at least some of them with a safe place to live in the UK- during the Second World War, a lot of other countries took in British refugees and cared for them.

But there is also the problem of security this time- we have to realise that a lot of these refugees believe in an ideology that hates British values and wants to attack us. Look at Germany for example, all the rapes that happened and all the terror plots
And there is also the issue of money- it is so expensive to give them homes and food and everything and it is a bit of a slap in the face for a hard working British person who has to pay for everything by himself. Should we give them the right to work and save the money we have to spend on food and homes for them?

Should we even take in refugees at all? Are they really in danger? Surely there are safe areas in Syria where they can move to. Maybe we should instead try and finish off the war and actually remove the source of the problem?

What are your opinions, guys?

Completely agree with what you have said. We do need to take some of them in but some politicians are trying to ignore the fact that a lot of them hate the West and hate our values.

We need to make sure that the ones we take in are actually people who have not been radicalised and the best way to do this is by taking in Christian and Jewish refugees first of all- they pose the least risk. Then take in some Muslims who are from good backgrounds. Then send the radicals and those who we know have links to terrorism straight back to where they came from.

Clearly, there is also the money issue. Refugees are, frankly, a waste of taxpayers' money and a great way to soften the burden on us is by allowing them to work and not rely on handouts. Make sure that there are jobs available.

But I need to make one thing clear- once the refugees are in, they are never going back. Their homes were probably destroyed in the war and it will take at least 50 years to rebuild Syria and make it liveable again. Once the refugees have settled in and have lives here, they will never want to go back so we need to prepare for the fact that they will settle here permanently.
My gosh this is a long run-on sentence. Might want to get that sorted out before GCSEs.

Lol yup

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it's ok it's sorted I got an A* last year it's just I didn't think that people would scrutinise my grammar I was more so focused on the rationality of the ideas in this debate but thanks for putting me right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ikhan94
Buy an unused island and put all the refugees on there with justin bieber

Thats inhumane.

Aerial bombardment.
Especially the Calais camps, I'd have public executions for everyone in it broadcast on prime-time TV, live.

This is a sensible option.
Original post by Laomedeia
Thats inhumane.

This is a sensible option.

I would argue that this thread is a bit extreme for me therefore, bye Felicia. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
But I need to make one thing clear- once the refugees are in, they are never going back. Their homes were probably destroyed in the war and it will take at least 50 years to rebuild Syria and make it liveable again. Once the refugees have settled in and have lives here, they will never want to go back so we need to prepare for the fact that they will settle here permanently.

Well we should make it clear that if they want to apply to come here as a refugee they are simultaniously agreeing to be sent back (by force if required) once it is safe to go back. I've got no problem accepting refugees as long as they are treated and behave like refugees and are sent back once Syria is safe.

Someone is going to have to rebuild Syria at some point, and it's not going to be me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending