The Student Room Group

The Same Argument Every Single Day

sighhhhhhhhh :sigh:

I swear every ****ing day I get into the same bloody argument with my parents I talk to them about my future and how I plan to spend my gap year and all I get is "you have to get married if you wanna travel the world and move out and do as you please"

like da*** I'm barely 18 yet why da*** would I get married now,

and secondly I ain't marrying no Arab Muslim guy they're (well most of them are) so ****ing closed minded I can't talk to someone like that let alone spend my life with them.
Like I'd rather stay celibate my entire life than have to marry one of them. Why can't I have my own life? Make my own decisions? Why does authority over me get passed down straight from my parents to my husband like when do I get to have MY say about MY life?

And as if arguing about that ain't enough,
all I get is "every other girl is getting married", "if you don't get married you're going to commit sin and sleep around", "if a girl says she doesn't wanna get married it means that she already has someone - who is it?", "why don't you wanna get married? who doesn't wanna get married?"

UGHEROGHOFJOIJASCOIJVKEAMNVOANSOIDJQOIWJFEORIJG

/rant

inb4 I regret this thread but it's pissing me off. How do I get it into their heads that just because I don't get married doesn't mean I'm gonna be a slut or get raped or any of that ******** :colonhash: ?
anyone been through anything similar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why was I born with a vagina? Did I ask for this smh :cry2: :colonhash:
Reply 2
im guessing you're arab
if not then dw bro im arab all arab parents are the same as yours
youre not alone ma friend :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by animeamanda1412
im guessing you're arab
if not then dw bro im arab all arab parents are the same as yours
youre not alone ma friend :frown:

:console: :cry:
Reply 4
TT^TT)/
That sucks, sorry you have to go through that. Do they want to arrange your marriage? Or are they expecting you to just go out there and find someone to marry asap? If it's the latter, maybe you could try sitting down with them and explaining how love comes naturally, and that they can't just expect you to find a husband at your age. You mentioned that you've tried talking to them about your future plans, maybe you could go even further? Like, make a PowerPoint detailing what you want to do during your gap year and after... really make them see how serious you are about your future, and perhaps they'll realise that you aren't just planning on messing around. Good luck though x
Reply 6
Original post by BookBird
That sucks, sorry you have to go through that. Do they want to arrange your marriage? Or are they expecting you to just go out there and find someone to marry asap? If it's the latter, maybe you could try sitting down with them and explaining how love comes naturally, and that they can't just expect you to find a husband at your age. You mentioned that you've tried talking to them about your future plans, maybe you could go even further? Like, make a PowerPoint detailing what you want to do during your gap year and after... really make them see how serious you are about your future, and perhaps they'll realise that you aren't just planning on messing around. Good luck though x

No not arranged (thank God) they said they'd let me choose whoever I want to marry. Basically the sooner I want to get the **** out the sooner I gotta find a husband apparently :colonhash:. Like if I didn't wanna do anything with my life except go to uni and back home and live with them then I could live there til I'm 50 they wouldn't complain. But it's cos I have dem ambitions :cry:

Thanks tho I'll keep trying! :smile:
We were on a break
Reply 8
Not really sure if I've got any useful advice, I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that situation; but just dropping in to say that I hope it all works out, I reckon if you persevere for long enough, they'll eventually give in. :smile:
@childofthesun? :holmes:

(Sorry, you're the only other Arab Muslim girl I know here. :tongue:)
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Not really sure if I've got any useful advice, I can't imagine what it would be like to be in that situation; but just dropping in to say that I hope it all works out, I reckon if you persevere for long enough, they'll eventually give in. :smile:

thank you <3 :':wink: I hope so too! that's the plan for now i guess :colone:

Original post by Hydeman
@childofthesun? :holmes:

(Sorry, you're the only other Arab Muslim girl I know here. :tongue:)

Thanks brah :smile:
Original post by Zacken

Zacken beat me to it, as usual :sad:

Hang in there z :hugs:
Reply 12
Original post by iEthan
Zacken beat me to it, as usual :sad:

Hang in there z :hugs:

Thanks Ethane I'll try <3

Spoiler

Original post by z33
Thanks Ethane I'll try <3

Spoiler

:lovie:

Spoiler

A bunch of TSRians should come together and buy a house. Then we could all live there, debate Feminism, Islam and Brexit while circlejerking irl as opposed to on threads :yep:
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. This is the only practical advice I have for this situation:

You won't ever change their mind. No matter what you do - they simply won't change. I can give you 500 reasons why they won't... But the bottom line is they won't change their mindset.

So the best/only thing you can do... Is go along with what they say to a certain extent. So when they mention marriage, listen to them and say it's not what you want. Then they'll say something back and this point USUALLY you'd get angry because they're not listening to you. But from now onwards just shrug and leave the room or move the topic on.

There's no use telling them it's not what you want ect ect. How many times have you said that? How many times have you argued about it? Have they changed? No. Have they stopped saying it? No.

Meanwhile... Work out your life plan (ish). You're 17 right? You know your parents better than anyone else... If you didn't abide by their rules... Would they still support you?

Look at getting a job, if you don't have one... Easier said than done. In fact all of this is easier said than done tbh.

The main thing you have to focus on is if it all goes wrong... Do you have something to fall back onto? A friend/relative you can stay with? Money?

You're asking how do you stop the arguments... This goes a lot more deeper than this... You can't change someone. You can only change yourself. So change the way you approach this topic. Don't get angry... Just listen and shrug it off. Tell them you want to do a gap year and tell them your plans. If they don't listen... What's the worst they'll do? Kick you out?

And that's why I'm saying work out a sort of life plan... Now again, you know your parents and your situation the best... So go with this.

If you need anything else... Quote me. :smile:
Aww z33 I am always here if you need someone to talk to. :hugs: I know the feeling of being 18, Muslim and wanting to let loose of the chains.
Reply 17
Original post by iEthan
:lovie:

Spoiler

<3 :biggrin: thanks!

Original post by Zargabaath
A bunch of TSRians should come together and buy a house. Then we could all live there, debate Feminism, Islam and Brexit while circlejerking irl as opposed to on threads :yep:

yaaassssssss :colone:

Original post by Rhythmical
Aww z33 I am always here if you need someone to talk to. :hugs: I know the feeling of being 18, Muslim and wanting to let loose of the chains.

Thank you gurl <3 :smile: it's so hard T_T

Original post by >Username<
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. This is the only practical advice I have for this situation:

Thanks for all the tips! I'll be sure to change by approach. Sadly I don't have backups, I've never worked a job in my life and I'm a p**** but I'll try and work and earn and save as much as I can next year, and then try and get out for uni and map it out from there.

Thanks again!
Original post by z33
<3 :biggrin: thanks!

yaaassssssss :colone:

Thank you gurl <3 :smile: it's so hard T_T

Thanks for all the tips! I'll be sure to change by approach. Sadly I don't have backups, I've never worked a job in my life and I'm a p**** but I'll try and work and earn and save as much as I can next year, and then try and get out for uni and map it out from there.

Thanks again!

I know its hard, I have even ended up breaking the rules at times.
Original post by z33
sighhhhhhhhh :sigh:

I swear every ****ing day I get into the same bloody argument with my parents I talk to them about my future and how I plan to spend my gap year and all I get is "you have to get married if you wanna travel the world and move out and do as you please"

like da*** I'm barely 18 yet why da*** would I get married now,

and secondly I ain't marrying no Arab Muslim guy they're (well most of them are) so ****ing closed minded I can't talk to someone like that let alone spend my life with them.
Like I'd rather stay celibate my entire life than have to marry one of them. Why can't I have my own life? Make my own decisions? Why does authority over me get passed down straight from my parents to my husband like when do I get to have MY say about MY life?

And as if arguing about that ain't enough,
all I get is "every other girl is getting married", "if you don't get married you're going to commit sin and sleep around", "if a girl says she doesn't wanna get married it means that she already has someone - who is it?", "why don't you wanna get married? who doesn't wanna get married?"

UGHEROGHOFJOIJASCOIJVKEAMNVOANSOIDJQOIWJFEORIJG

/rant

inb4 I regret this thread but it's pissing me off. How do I get it into their heads that just because I don't get married doesn't mean I'm gonna be a slut or get raped or any of that ******** :colonhash: ?
anyone been through anything similar?

Wow I thought you were a guy. Judging by your MJ avatar and your tone. At least yohr not basic.

Why don't you just tell them you just tell them you DO want to get married but at a later age due to studies etc. At least you'll stall.

And wtf? Arab guys are pretty sexy imo. #nohomo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending