The Student Room Group

Birmingham medical-related PhD

Hi all,

I'm applying to the University of Birmingham for a PhD though the college of medical/dental sciences in bioinformatics.

I haven't received any guidance on a research proposal: anyone know what they look for (format, sections, etc)?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if it is applicable to bioinformatics, but my PhD proposals for immunology, then cancer therapeutics involved a brief literature review, identification of a gap in the literature, and a proposed plan of how to address this gap.
Hey @zombiejon, thanks for the reply. I found a 1500 word limit in general application guidance. Did yours follow the same limit? If so, is that including references?

Thanks!
Is this in response to an advertised position? Have you contacted potential supervisors to discuss your proposal? Try emailing and asking for guidance for proposal writing because different departments and unis will have different requirements. Good advice above. The only thing I'd add is methods and possible contingency plans. A word limit will not include references.
This is for an unadvertised position, but I'm in contact with the (putative) supervisors and they're going to review stuff. Just wanted any ideas before I sent them a first draft.

The proposal is going to an admissions committee, and the supervisor is new to the university, hence the vagueness in what they'd expect.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Original post by Oedipus_Regex
Hey @zombiejon, thanks for the reply. I found a 1500 word limit in general application guidance. Did yours follow the same limit? If so, is that including references?

Thanks!

I didn't have a word limit for either of mine. Methods and contingencies will be big. Obviously, at this point, you might not have a lot of details on methods/contingencies, but have at least a general idea. Hopefully you won't be forced to change your topic completely halfway through.
I just received guidance that I'll be applying to a PhD in Cancer Sciences, even though my research isn't involving cancer in the slightest. I think it's for bureaucratic reasons, since my supervisor is in the institute cancer and genomics. But it's more the genomics bit that we do ... Well, wish me luck, going to submit everything by Monday (I hope).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending