The Student Room Group

Studying English: has it put you off novels?

Hey guys!

First of all, good luck with any upcoming exams, English or not! :h:

I've been deliberating the thread's title ever since Of Mice and Men way back in GCSE (I am now at uni). Does anyone else find that studying, analysing a novel, puts you off that novel?

Examples for me: I cannot stand The Great Gatsby since AS. Recently I studied 6 Victorian era novels for an English module at uni and those novels too I'm now not a fan of.

Am I the only one who finds that doing a deep analysis of a novel destroys it for you?
Gcse english lit put me off reading plays ever again.
Yes definitely and I'm considering a career in STEM. I have an exam on Friday for Lit and I want to cry. Had enough of reading books and writing.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Gcse english lit put me off reading plays ever again.

I don't mind plays. I'll just leave now...:getmecoat:

Original post by Rhythmical
Yes definitely and I'm considering a career in STEM. I have an exam on Friday for Lit and I want to cry. Had enough of reading books and writing.

STEM masterrace? :wink:

I study Politics as my main subject at uni so the books I mostly work with now is textbooks.
Original post by Airmed
I don't mind plays. I'll just leave now...:getmecoat:

We were made to study a play that alluded to potential incest between a niece and uncle (view for a bridge i think it was) and I could never understand why they'd decided that was appropriate for 15 year olds.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
We were made to study a play that alluded to potential incest between a niece and uncle (view for a bridge i think it was) and I could never understand why they'd decided that was appropriate for 15 year olds.

Thankfully I never had to study that!
Original post by Airmed
I don't mind plays. I'll just leave now...:getmecoat:STEM masterrace? :wink:I study Politics as my main subject at uni so the books I mostly work with now is textbooks.

I won't even lie, it is! English is one of those subjects where unless you don't have a passion for it, you'll end up struggling with. I've been dreading this exam and quite frankly I don't even want to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Rhythmical
I won't even lie, it is! English is one of those subjects where unless you don't have a passion for it, you'll end up struggling with. I've been dreading this exam and quite frankly I don't even want to do it.

I agree. You're completely right. It's hard to get your head around.
I used to love Jane Eyre but now I don't really see Jane a feminist I can identify with. However, I have found books that I love through my studies like J.M. Coetzee and it has given me a new appreciation of plays as well. I love the literary theory side that comes with it as well. I read The Female Eunuch and it really made me think. I guess it will open doors as well as close doors as you grow as a person.
Original post by Airmed
I agree. You're completely right. It's hard to get your head around.

I know and honestly it's boring me out at times, I've lost all motivation and enthusiasm for it. Partly is because of one of my teacher's and the rest is because finally I've realised what I want to do. I used to love English at GCSE and thought it would be the same at A Level but the jump is huge and STEM has finally captured another Humanities student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending