The Student Room Group

How to improve timing in maths exam?

I'm really quite upset today. I just had my FP1 exam. The questions were not that difficult; I got stuck on some of them because I came out with the wrong answer. But I had no time to check the ones I knew I got wrong because I needed to keep moving along.

I felt like I had been working as fast as I could but on question four out of 10, I looked up and 25 minutes had passed....I'm completely baffled; I've done all but one past paper- they vary in times for me depending on the difficulty. But i'm just angry at myself; the questions were all standard- I knew the methods but I took so long to complete the paper. I had ten minutes left- started checking one of the questions i got wrong, never got to the answer or to the rest of the paper....I know that i've lost at least 12 marks maybe more.

Does anyone have any tips or anything about what you personally do? I have more modules coming up but it is always timing that evades me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JulieEdiz
I'm really quite upset today. I just had my FP1 exam. The questions were not that difficult; I got stuck on some of them because I came out with the wrong answer. But I had no time to check the ones I knew I got wrong because I needed to keep moving along.

I felt like I had been working as fast as I could but on question four out of 10, I looked up and 25 minutes had passed....I'm completely baffled; I've done all but one past paper- they vary in times for me depending on the difficulty. But i'm just angry at myself; the questions were all standard- I knew the methods but I took so long to complete the paper. I had ten minutes left- started checking one of the questions i got wrong, never got to the answer or to the rest of the paper....I know that i've lost at least 12 marks maybe more.

Does anyone have any tips or anything about what you personally do? I have more modules coming up but it is always timing that evades me.

Practice under timed conditions, use a stopwatch on your phone or an egg timer and work under pressure. Use the marks as a guide to how long you should spend on a question, 1 mark = 1 minuet

Quick Reply

Latest