The Student Room Group

How to get better at maths?

GCSE student who really wants to take A level maths and further maths. Recently got 35/49 on a test (not the worst in my class though). The new GCSE maths just really annoys me and everyone else at my high performing Grammar is amazing at it. Any tips on how to improve maths skills and how to get that 9/A*?
Original post by foodandphysics
GCSE student who really wants to take A level maths and further maths. Recently got 35/49 on a test (not the worst in my class though). The new GCSE maths just really annoys me and everyone else at my high performing Grammar is amazing at it. Any tips on how to improve maths skills and how to get that 9/A*?

PRACTICE!!! Keep doing lots of questions, past papers, predicted papers.
sample exam questions. do harder questions and get used to those...the ones which are worth the most.
First make sure u understand content (ask people for help), make notes, and LOOOOOADS of exam practise.
Also know ur strengths and weaknesses
just do it
The main way to improve maths (at all levels) is to practice as many problems as you can. Try and do at least a set of problems every week, if not a couple every day. You don't even need to spend a long time on each "session", just as long as you keep it very frequent and make sure you understand the answer and how you got to it.
If you're struggling to understand concepts, use resources like khan academy or your textbook to better understand those concepts.
If you got a low mark because you couldn't think of how to answer specific questions, then just practise. nothing else to do
If you're making silly mistakes, then....idk just don't be silly
Reply 7
Use a website called Maths Genie. Makes maths EASY. Only issue is the videos are quite long and the course is now huge, so it can take a while to go through it all.
Original post by foodandphysics

mathsgenie.co.uk is a useful resource if you are struggling with something.
I want to take maths for a levels but I didn't get the grade I wanted for my yr 11 mocks. What is the best way to bring up my grade to atleast a 7?

Quick Reply

Latest