The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE sufficient gap year? / gap year advice

I am considering taking a gap year after I finish my A levels this summer (i.e. during academic year 2016-17), and applying for PPE at Oxford (+4 other universities) for entry in 2017. I want to read a great deal of books that I haven't had time to read, and will likely not have time to read whilst at university. It is an extensive list.

I want to finish reading the works of Bertrand Russell which I began a year ago. I want to read Ricardo's OtPoPEaT, the rest of Irving Fisher's books (3 more to go), Keynes' Essays in Persuasion, more of Mises' works alongside those of Rothbard. I want to re-read Hayek's Prices and Production and Road to Serfdom, and more relevant books - as well as less relevant reads like Rhetorica ad Herennium.

I am also considering taking A2 maths and AS and A2 further maths (edexcel) because I have recently discovered great enjoyment in maths and this relevant fourth A level will keep my abilities on point and perhaps strengthen my application as well as fill up my time. Furthermore, if I have time, I may get a part time job just for some cash - nothing relevant to the course.

This is the most academically relevant and academically effective use of a gap year that I can think of. However, would this be sufficient cause, in the view of Oxford tutors, to take a gap year, and would it make me a suitable candidate? People often pursue voluntary work and work experience during gap years. However, there is little chance of me doing anything half as academically relevant as what I've already considered doing. Having said that, I could be mistaken.

Any advice and clarification would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by george-90
Any advice and clarification would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I've moved your post to the Oxford forum :smile:
Reply 2
x

You don't need a really good reason to take a gap year; your plans are more than sufficient. Did you not apply to Oxford this academic year?
Reply 3
Original post by BJack
You don't need a really good reason to take a gap year; your plans are more than sufficient. Did you not apply to Oxford this academic year?

I did not apply for Oxford this year. I decided to do PPE over pure economics during November, so I never had occasion to apply to Oxford.
Reply 4
I did not apply for Oxford this year. I decided to do PPE over pure economics during November, so I never had occasion to apply to Oxford.

Sounds similar to me. I had a change of heart about which subject to apply for, albeit later in the year than yours. That I was taking a gap year, and what I was doing with it, was not even mentioned at interview. I was applying for a science degree (chemistry) but I think the tutors are unlikely to be all that interested whatever you're applying for.
Reply 5
Original post by BJack
Sounds similar to me. I had a change of heart about which subject to apply for, albeit later in the year than yours. That I was taking a gap year, and what I was doing with it, was not even mentioned at interview. I was applying for a science degree (chemistry) but I think the tutors are unlikely to be all that interested whatever you're applying for.

Thank you for the clarification.

This Oxford website states "If you are thinking of taking a gap year, then it’s really important that you have something in mind that you intend to pursue during your year off, such as travelling overseas, working, volunteering or some other kind of internship or study." It's more than a little confusing.
Reply 6
Thank you for the clarification.

This Oxford website states "If you are thinking of taking a gap year, then it’s really important that you have something in mind that you intend to pursue during your year off, such as travelling overseas, working, volunteering or some other kind of internship or study." It's more than a little confusing.

In other words, anything except staying in bed playing video games / Netflix / etc....

Pretty clear really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
In other words, anything except staying in bed playing video games / Netflix / etc....

Pretty clear really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but BJack's gap year wasn't mentioned at interview, and some people go into detail in their PS about their gap year. Is it important to communicate what one does to Oxford?

Also, would anyone happen to know how A levels sat on a gap year effect the application process in terms of offers and application strength?
Original post by BJack
I was applying for a science degree (chemistry) but I think the tutors are unlikely to be all that interested whatever you're applying for.

Did you get in, if you don't mind me asking? :holmes:
Reply 9
Yes, but BJack's gap year wasn't mentioned at interview, and some people go into detail in their PS about their gap year. Is it important to communicate what one does to Oxford?

Also, would anyone happen to know how A levels sat on a gap year effect the application process in terms of offers and application strength?

No you don't need to specifically tell Oxford, just be ready to have a sensible answer if they ask about it at interview. Which they might not.

You might also mention it briefly in your personal statement, especially if you can link it to your planned course.
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
Did you get in, if you don't mind me asking? :holmes:

Yes. :eyebrow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending