The Student Room Group

[OFFICIAL] AS Edexcel 2 Psychology Unit 3: Biological and Leaning 23/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lot7
Ahh I'm not looking forward to it

neither am i... i was far much with unit 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 is just so complicated and especially the studies... nothing is sticking in my head :mad2:
Can someone please describe capafons et al 1998 for me?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Can someone please describe capafons et al 1998 for me?

I could've helped you but i haven't done this study :s-smilie:
Original post by fatima1998
I could've helped you but i haven't done this study :s-smilie:

No worries
Do you think the practicals will be in a question for bio/learning?
Not long to go now. Good luck everyone!

I'm hoping we will not be given another three 8 markers, otherwise I may cry in the exam! For any last minute revision, I recommend Crash Course: Psychology on YouTube. It's really helpful. :biggrin:
I need sample 12mark questions besides the specimen paper one - any ideas?
To conclude that... i am not ready for the exam :sad: anything important that needs to be revised???
Original post by emilyisabel
I need sample 12mark questions besides the specimen paper one - any ideas?

our teacher told us to just simply put either evaluate or describe in front of spec points and write out the essay, e.g: evaluate How learning theories explain the acquisition and maintenance of phobias.

or simply evaluate and describe classical/ operant conditioning.

I feel like we are going get an evaluate a theory question as we didn't in the first paper. as well as key questions!
Reply 29
Please can someone simply explain the 1961 and 1963 Bandura Studies?
Can someone please tell me what dopamine does to aggression and which study it was?
For the unit 1 paper did people describe miligrams study or just talked about ethics :?
Can someone please tell me what dopamine does to aggression and which study it was?

I didnt think dopamine has anything to do with aggression i thought it was just addiction and drugs :/
Original post by clucky_chick
Not long to go now. Good luck everyone!

I'm hoping we will not be given another three 8 markers, otherwise I may cry in the exam! For any last minute revision, I recommend Crash Course: Psychology on YouTube. It's really helpful. :biggrin:

yh same thought the other 3 8 markers where quite easy although i forgot to describe miligrams study i was told you had to describe it :/
Original post by issy0209

1961 aim :invistigate effect of childrens exposure to aggresive model

72 children boys and girls stanford uni nursery matched on pres existing levels of aggression. 3 groups 1 saw model behaving aggressively other saw non aggressive and control saw nothing
Observed through one way mirror
Results - boys immitate same sex model , boys imitate more physically agression than girls
Then just make a conclution

sorry for spelling errors cba correcting
Original post by Junior567
yh same thought the other 3 8 markers where quite easy although i forgot to describe miligrams study i was told you had to describe it :/

No you didn't if you take a look at the ALEVEL specimen paper; there was an 8 marker incredibly similar to the milgrams one whereby all you had to do was describe the BPS guidelines and pick out which ones milgram didn't follow and then justify why followed by an overall conclusion. Describing milgrams study had no relation to the question; it would of been irrelevant.
Original post by Profanity
No you didn't if you take a look at the ALEVEL specimen paper; there was an 8 marker incredibly similar to the milgrams one whereby all you had to do was describe the BPS guidelines and pick out which ones milgram didn't follow and then justify why followed by an overall conclusion. Describing milgrams study had no relation to the question; it would of been irrelevant.

Ah right what did you write about for that question i just mentioned
protection from harm - sample shock 45 v and uncontrollable fits
deceit - about experiment aim
Debrief explained that he made sure they where all alright after
cant remember if i did consent
Reply 37
Original post by issy0209

Bandura 1961
72 participants
separated into 3 groups of 24; a control group, an aggressive model group and a non-aggressive model group.

ROOM 1
The group with the aggressive model were further split into 4 groups of 6 children; 6 boys with an aggressive male model, 6 boys with an aggressive female model, 6 girls with a male model, 6 girls with a female model.

This was also done with the non-aggressive model group;
6 boys with a non-aggressive male model, 6 boys with a non-aggressive female model, 6 girls with a non-aggressive male model and 6 girls with a non-aggressive female model.

ROOM 2
Children were mildly aggressive aroused and let the children interact with the toys enabling for them to analyse any aggressive behavior.

RESULTS
Boys were more aggressive than boys and males showed more aggressive behavior when the model was of the same sex (male).

I'm about to revise the 1963 one, so i will let you know. Hope this was helpful:smile:
Reply 38

Dopamine make us feel calm and gives us a pleasurable happy feeling. therefore will make us less aggressive. Not too sure about the study was, I'll have a look and get back to you:smile:
Reply 39

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that stimulates pleasure creating a profound sense of wellbeing which as a result will stop someone from feeling aggressive. It is linked to addiction and associated with pleasure.

You can link dopamine to the effect of transmission of drugs on the CNS:

Nicotine mimics acetycholine and binds to ACTH receptors which excites neruons to release dopamine. Over time this causes a decrease in dopamine receptors. To get a 'normal' level again more dopamine is needed which leads to an addiction.

Cocaine blocks binding site of re-uptake causing excess dopamine in the synapse leading to over stimulation on receptor sites. This affect eventually damages the receptor sites reducing the amount meaning more cocaine is needed to maintain a 'normal' level.

Canabis binds to receptors and blocks activity, especially in the hippocampus area which affects memory. Dopamine is still released however only because cannabis removes the inhibiting affect of GABA.

A study you could maybe link it too is Old and Milner (1954) - rats pressed a lever to get an electrical stimulation to the pleasure centre rather than get food or drink. They would even risk crossing an electrical grid to receive the pleasure simulation. (dopamine stimulates this pleasure)
Evaluation of that study is that it shows an alternative pathway to the reward system, there are many neurotransmitters involved, studying mode of action is difficult but helped by brain scans and it is not always possible to extrapolate results from animal studies as there may be differences in functioning although more ethical.

Hope this is some help, sorry its not much about aggression - we mainly did studies regarding the effect serotonin has on aggression not dopamine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending