The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katiejaynel
Not sure this is perfect

1. Vinyl Lettering - CNC Plotter Cutter, PLA Prototype - 3D Printer, Drinks Bottle - Blow moulding, Yogurt Pot - Vacuum forming.

2. Alloy is a composite of two or more metals to improve the physical and/or aesthetic properties of the metal.

3. Example of an alloy - stainless steel

4. Use for alloy and reasons why - Kitchen sink because good strength to weight ratio so does not damage when pan thrown into it, tough so resistant to wear and tear when knifes scratch, self-finishing so high quality.. and a couple more I can't remember.

5. Symbols - Wear Eye protection, wear ear protection, corrosive and harmful to environment.

6. ABS and LDPE are thermoplastics. Example, LDPE used for plastic bags because 1.they have good strength to weight ratio so can carry heavy items such as cans but also are not too heavy. 2. they can be printed on/ pigment applied therefore brand of shop can be printed to improve brand awareness.

7. Why HDPE for shampoo bottle - non toxic, strong, tough, light weight, flexible so easy to get out the contents, can be blow moulded and have pigment applied, strong intermolecular bonds so contents do not leak out, chemical resistant (couple more i can't remember now).

8. Why corrugated card for pizza box - contains heat/ insulating, strong and therefore if dropped contents do not damage, lightweight so easy to carry/ transport, can be die cut and tessellated so more environmentally friendly, can have printing on it using offset lithography, can be recycled so more environmentally friendly.. (couple more i can't remember)

9. FSC - Forestry stewardship council (I got this wrong i put Forestry sustainability council) logo used to show consumer that the product has come from sustainable forests and therefore is more environmentally friendly 10. Kettle - material - Stainless steel.

11. ergonomics and safety - handle close to kettle and too wide, lid difficult to open so use switch, switch easy to turn on so should be on the bottom, scale difficult to see as handle in way should be moved to side, safety good as wire on base not on on kettle therefore not near water, light should light up so can see if hot and cold or thermochromic pigment, grip on handle to make easier to grip (again few more i can't remember)

12. spinning process - metal placed onto mandrel and spun at high speed, roller is then used to push over and form to the shape (diagrams drawn)

13. UF socket because - insulating heat and current so safe, can be compression moulded, pigment can be applied, standard components can be fitted, does not melt/ deform as thermosetting plastic (again few more i can't remember)

14. Bad for environment because thermoset so sits in landfills or requires large amount of energy to break down.

I agree tbh and they are all good answers, would take issue with the things in red but they are only minor points :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
I agree tbh and they are all good answers, would take issue with the things in red but they are only minor points :smile:

Perfect thank you - I agree, I put multiple points for each answer (more than required) so hopefully will bank enough.. Need an A!
Do you reckon theyll have two answers for what metals the kettle was made from? I put Aluminium, because Ive seen aluminium kettles, but stainless steel seems more suited 😂
Original post by CreatorGal14
Do you reckon theyll have two answers for what metals the kettle was made from? I put Aluminium, because Ive seen aluminium kettles, but stainless steel seems more suited 😂

yes, they usually accept a range of answers :smile:
Original post by Salamandastron
yes, they usually accept a range of answers :smile:

Hope so! I'vr got the A2 on the 10th June and already dreading it 😂
Love how youre all pretty confident about you exam and im just like i hope i get an e for textiles 😂😭😅
Original post by hadiqah
Love how youre all pretty confident about you exam and im just like i hope i get an e for textiles 😂😭😅

lool what other subjects do you do?
Original post by Azubair72
lool what other subjects do you do?

Psychology
History
English lit
But i need to get a good grade in DT otherwise I'll have to drop it and i really really hate english and cannot do that for another year 😭
Original post by katiejaynel
Not sure this is perfect

1. Vinyl Lettering - CNC Plotter Cutter, PLA Prototype - 3D Printer, Drinks Bottle - Blow moulding, Yogurt Pot - Vacuum forming.

2. Alloy is a composite of two or more metals to improve the physical and/or aesthetic properties of the metal.

3. Example of an alloy - stainless steel

4. Use for alloy and reasons why - Kitchen sink because good strength to weight ratio so does not damage when pan thrown into it, tough so resistant to wear and tear when knifes scratch, self-finishing so high quality.. and a couple more I can't remember.

5. Symbols - Wear Eye protection, wear ear protection, corrosive and harmful to environment.

6. ABS and LDPE are thermoplastics. Example, LDPE used for plastic bags because 1.they have good strength to weight ratio so can carry heavy items such as cans but also are not too heavy. 2. they can be printed on/ pigment applied therefore brand of shop can be printed to improve brand awareness.

7. Why HDPE for shampoo bottle - non toxic, strong, tough, light weight, flexible so easy to get out the contents, can be blow moulded and have pigment applied, strong intermolecular bonds so contents do not leak out, chemical resistant (couple more i can't remember now).

8. Why corrugated card for pizza box - contains heat/ insulating, strong and therefore if dropped contents do not damage, lightweight so easy to carry/ transport, can be die cut and tessellated so more environmentally friendly, can have printing on it using offset lithography, can be recycled so more environmentally friendly.. (couple more i can't remember)

9. FSC - Forestry stewardship council (I got this wrong i put Forestry sustainability council) logo used to show consumer that the product has come from sustainable forests and therefore is more environmentally friendly 10. Kettle - material - Stainless steel.

11. ergonomics and safety - handle close to kettle and too wide, lid difficult to open so use switch, switch easy to turn on so should be on the bottom, scale difficult to see as handle in way should be moved to side, safety good as wire on base not on on kettle therefore not near water, light should light up so can see if hot and cold or thermochromic pigment, grip on handle to make easier to grip (again few more i can't remember)

12. spinning process - metal placed onto mandrel and spun at high speed, roller is then used to push over and form to the shape (diagrams drawn)

13. UF socket because - insulating heat and current so safe, can be compression moulded, pigment can be applied, standard components can be fitted, does not melt/ deform as thermosetting plastic (again few more i can't remember)

14. Bad for environment because thermoset so sits in landfills or requires large amount of energy to break down.

Those are pretty much the same answers i got. I found it really easy compared to previous papers. Only problem was for me that i had never covered spinning for metals so i tried to make it up. Not sure if that would get me any of the 7 marks though
Original post by hadiqah
Psychology
History
English lit
But i need to get a good grade in DT otherwise I'll have to drop it and i really really hate english and cannot do that for another year 😭

how do you manage all those written subjects, you had psychology today right? how was it
Original post by Azubair72
how do you manage all those written subjects, you had psychology today right? how was it

I dont even know😂 and psychology was quite good thank you, i think we got an easiesh paper. (Now watch me get an E hahaha)
do you think it would be okay if I put shampoo bottle as an application for LDPE and for the reason I said 1) can be easily blow moulded into hollow shape of bottle 2)non toxic so wont contaminate content inside
Reply 212
Original post by hadiqah
I dont even know😂 and psychology was quite good thank you, i think we got an easiesh paper. (Now watch me get an E hahaha)

Are you currently studying AS? I wouldn't worry much unless it was A2 because you will still have a chance to repeat modules next year.
Original post by lmg1
Are you currently studying AS? I wouldn't worry much unless it was A2 because you will still have a chance to repeat modules next year.

Yeah I'm doing AS
am i alright to have put hazardous to marine life instead of to the environment
In relation to the question on hazard signs
i have made this thread for unit 3 2016 exam

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post64191485
If I got an A in my coursework and a B in the exam, how likely am I to get an A overall?
Reply 218
Original post by chiarahaynes
If I got an A in my coursework and a B in the exam, how likely am I to get an A overall?

UMS marks is out of 100 for both coursework and exam and 200 altogether.
The overall grade boundaries is therefore 160 for A, 140 for B and 120 for C

If you are wondering in terms of your coursework; 90% which is high A (72/80 - CW) you would need around 70% (B) in the exam, 80% in coursework (64/80 - just about and A) you would need the same in the exam - 80%.
Any other questions I hope I explained it okay. :smile:
Original post by lmg1
UMS marks is out of 100 for both coursework and exam and 200 altogether.The overall grade boundaries is therefore 160 for A, 140 for B and 120 for CIf you are wondering in terms of your coursework; 90% which is high A (72/80 - CW) you would need around 70% (B) in the exam, 80% in coursework (64/80 - just about and A) you would need the same in the exam - 80%.Any other questions I hope I explained it okay.

Thank you so much, yes that makes sense. I don't know my exact grade but I've been told I have an A in coursework. I think I generally did quite well in the exam but I definitely messed up the question about spinning and I'm not sure I'll get any marks for it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending