The Student Room Group

Migrant rape in Japan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
Immigration? Japanese immigration is fine and immigrants have never been accused of being rapists there, I have acquaintances and good mates who are not from Japan who are they studying abroad or teaching English and Japan is quite peaceful to them even if a bit distant at first. This situation is about migrants not immigrants. And the migrants are making a bad name for foreigners in a country where foreigners are extreme minorities, and these migrants allegedly have hurt someone and all you think about is karma...whilst you have an anime pic for an av? Get it together kid.

What has my AV pic got to do with this? just because I like anime doesn't mean I'm a kid. I didn't say it was karma. Someone before me mentioned something about Korea and China that's part of the reason I said that. I actually quite like Japan just not their militaristic past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by 0to100
Poor Japan. Not gonna make them any less xenophobic than they already are, I hear it's real bad for foreigners anyway, even East Asian ones. But then again it's...their country so...their rules and culture being preserved I guess. Which is totally fine, it's not like people are banned this is just...not helping matters.

If you look at the situation from an outside perspective. The amount of terrorism in the developed world is directly in correlation with the amount of Islamic immigration. This is obviously a simplistic way to look at the situation but we're talking about people who have little to no knowledge of the intricacies of Abrahamic religions, nor any use for it.

The nature of crime in Japan is so highly concealed from public eye, the overtness of crime and punishment in other parts of the world gives an extremely damning and unfortunately accurate image of some types of foreigners so on that basis, how could you accuse them of xenophobia? Especially when you consider the uncompromising expectation to conform to Japanese culture and the lack of willingness of fervent religious followers to accept anything different from themselves.
Original post by Konahagakure
What has my AV pic got to do with this? just because I like anime doesn't mean I'm a kid. I didn't say it was karma. Someone before me mentioned something about Korea and China that's part of the reason I said that. I actually quite like Japan just not their militaristic past.

Everyone has a militaristic past, even the countries Japan invaded before Japan invaded lol UK invaded a lot of places so if someone got raped here you'd think it's a laughing matter or? And the anime thing doesn't make me think you're a kid your thinking does but your anime av is Japanese art and ironically you're insulting Japan lol interesting you missed that correlation and irony but it proves my point as well how unaware you are.
Original post by 0to100
Everyone has a militaristic past, even the countries Japan invaded before Japan invaded lol UK invaded a lot of places so if someone got raped here you'd think it's a laughing matter or? And the anime thing doesn't make me think you're a kid your thinking does but your anime av is Japanese art and ironically you're insulting Japan lol interesting you missed that correlation and irony but it proves my point as well how unaware you are.

I'm not insulting Japan when they still have hardline imperialists that deny atrocities. Have you actually looked into the stuff they did?
Original post by Jebedee
If you look at the situation from an outside perspective. The amount of terrorism in the developed world is directly in correlation with the amount of Islamic immigration. This is obviously a simplistic way to look at the situation but we're talking about people who have little to no knowledge of the intricacies of Abrahamic religions, nor any use for it.

The nature of crime in Japan is so highly concealed from public eye, the overtness of crime and punishment in other parts of the world gives an extremely damning and unfortunately accurate image of some types of foreigners so on that basis, how could you accuse them of xenophobia? Especially when you consider the uncompromising expectation to conform to Japanese culture and the lack of willingness of fervent religious followers to accept anything different from themselves.

What're you on about? Your reservations about foreigners in Japan is severely clouded by the current thread topic. Me calling Japan xenophobes has nowt to do with these particular Muslims in the thread, as I said, these rapists if they exist are making it worse for an already xenophobic country. From the mouths of foreigners from East Asia and other countries, if you just do a bit of secondary research or actually speak to the average migrant, Japan is not aggressively resistant to foreigners/"gaijin" but not exactly inviting or warm either and the jobs you get are very limited even if you're white, and they're not very language friendly and it's hell for half-Japanese/"hafu" people as well like their hafu kids not being accepted to many schools upon registration as well as depressing adversity, (but then again I've had this told to me by people in that situation so it could be subjective anecdotes from them and maybe a legislative reason and not necessarily racist, like citizenship and funding for non Japanese students not in abroad programs or something) :\ I'm kind of sensitive about it because I want to go there to teach English, I think it'll be fulfilling but I don't wanna deal with that non-foreigner-friendly crap even as a white male. And these Muslims in your op are gonna make it worse, they're going to taint the already tainted image of foreigners in Japan which aint looking good for me or the people I know there who encourage me to come.
Original post by 0to100
What're you on about? Your reservations about foreigners in Japan is severely clouded by the current thread topic. Me calling Japan xenophobes has nowt to do with these particular Muslims in the thread, as I said, these rapists if they exist are making it worse for an already xenophobic country. From the mouths of foreigners from East Asia and other countries, if you just do a bit of secondary research or actually speak to the average migrant, Japan is not aggressively resistant to foreigners/"gaijin" but not exactly inviting or warm either and the jobs you get are very limited even if you're white, and they're not very language friendly and it's hell for half-Japanese/"hafu" people as well like their hafu kids not being accepted to many schools upon registration as well as depressing adversity, (but then again I've had this told to me by people in that situation so it could be subjective anecdotes from them and maybe a legislative reason and not necessarily racist, like citizenship and funding for non Japanese students not in abroad programs or something) :\ I'm kind of sensitive about it because I want to go there to teach English, I think it'll be fulfilling but I don't wanna deal with that non-foreigner-friendly crap even as a white male. And these Muslims in your op are gonna make it worse, they're going to taint the already tainted image of foreigners in Japan which aint looking good for me or the people I know there who encourage me to come.

Islam is not a race. Also it's not just Muslims who rape. (Though I gotta agree with most of what you said).
If people keep going to Japan ****ing about like the alleged rapists in the op no one will have a chance, I strongly believe; Japan is nice but also strict enough toward foreigners who generally don't do anything like this. My sister studies History and wants to be a professor and chose to study Japanese so she was offered a foreign teaching job in Japan which is incredible but I wonder how they'll react to foreigners honestly, I'm a bit excited but worried for her and we're not even Muslims lol
Islam is not a race. Also it's not just Muslims who rape. (Though I gotta agree with most of what you said).

I would never say something as ignorant as Islam being a race, and I would never say all Muslims rape...do please remember that this thread is about specifically Muslim rapists...I merely addressed that in the former post. Never agreed or affirmed it to be true lol
Reply 68
What about the atrocities in China?

"Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto: First and foremost, I must point out that in Japan as well as many other countries, there are many people who express their different ideas. That is the system that we have in our country, which I hope that you can understand. On that condition, I would like to say definitely that some comments do not really follow the true intentions of the Government of Japan or those of the vast majority of the Japanese people. In 1995, on the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II, the Government of Japan expressed its resolution through the statement by the Prime Minister, which states that during a certain period in the past, Japan's conduct caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, including China, and the Prime Minister expressed his feeling of deep remorse and stated his heartfelt apology, while giving his word to make efforts for peace. I myself was one of the ministers who was involved in drafting this statement. I would like to repeat that this is the official position of the Government of Japan. During the summit meeting that I had during my visit to China, I have made this point very clear in a frank manner to the Chinese side. Premier Li Peng said that he concurs completely with my remarks. There is one more point that I would like to make. Immediately after this press conference, I will visit the northeastern region of China, which is the first time for a Japanese prime minister to visit this region since the end of World War II. I am going to visit the War Memorial Museum, looking straight at the past history. I wanted to experience the real fruit of friendship and cooperation as we look toward the future. I have selected this itinerary myself, because of the hope that I just expressed."
http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/china/conference.html#4

Whilst some Japanese officials have refused or shown reluctance to apologise for Japanese crimes during WW2, it does not mean that all Japanese officials have refused to do so.
Reply 69
Original post by 0to100

As someone who has spent a few years in Japan I can tell you that you are unlikely to experience any racism in Japan by normal standards. You'll often be spoken to in broken English regardless of how good your Japanese is, and you won't be allowed in some brothels. That is pretty much the extent of racism. They certainly don't stereotype foreigners in the way you describe either (apart from grouping all British people in the umbrella term イギリス人). So don't worry about Turkish people tarnishing the reputation of white males. They will be mainly just curious about you. You have a point about the systemic racism though.

As for xenophobic I would whole-heartedly disagree that they are so. If anything they can be somewhat distrustful of foreigners at times but you'll come to learn that it is understandable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
As someone who has spent a few years in Japan I can tell you that you are unlikely to experience any racism in Japan by normal standards. You'll often be spoken to in broken English regardless of how good your Japanese is, and you won't be allowed in some brothels. That is pretty much the extent of racism. They certainly don't stereotype foreigners in the way you describe either (apart from grouping all British people in the umbrella term イギリス人). So don't worry about Turkish people tarnishing the reputation of white males. They will be mainly just curious about you. You have a point about the systemic racism though.

As for xenophobic I would whole-heartedly disagree that they are so. If anything they can be somewhat distrustful of foreigners at times but you'll come to learn that it is understandable.

Xenophobic is a strong word but it's used completely appropriately here. Japan is quite keen on preserving its culture which is fine, they aren't culture friendly it seems, it's all about their culture which I already agreed earlier is in fact understandable. And I never said anything about racism, I said xenophobia as far as nationalism because I even stated other East Asians (the same race as Japanese) are treated probably worse...so not racism, I would never say racism, don't loosely use totally different terms interchangeably bro. But if you wanan throw in racism and then debunk it I have to disagree lmao because as far as racism apart from nationalism (not racism...) they are in fact racist because as a white male I'll get hired before anyone else for the albeit limited jobs I could even get there. And then who's to say if I still will be treated well, I have a Scottish mate who bartends and studies there and says he is berated from time to time or just like mocked randomly by customers which could be tongue in cheek from drunk customers but whatever "icebreakers" mainly come in the form of racial banter. It's got to be a huge kick to the balls to experience that as a white guy tbh lol but understandable in a foreign country. Anyway as I said I think it's pretty logical to predict that if situations like this rape thing arise Japan won't be so friendly as you claim and it'll get worse as I claim either way so....
My original comment was more about the Japanese invading other countries and trying to force them to be 'Japanese' (as what happened to Korea) so I find it funny how the Japanese are complaining about immigration especially from their neighbours and to an extent other countries. By repay I meant financially as they were not punished enough after 1945 compared to Germany. I wasn't referring to the rape as being karma that's messed up I was only talking about the immigration issue.

Let's assume that was indeed what you were stating. Why would you bring in history and other irrelevant factors in a scenario where the rape of the woman should be the focal point. Japanese opinions on immigration are irrelevant in a conversation where a victim's life has been forever changed and altered for the worst. Imperial Japan was no doubt an aggressive and fascist regime; but this line of debating has no place in a conversation about rape. No individual deserves to be mistreated for the actions of their ancestors.
The weeaboos will come after me if I do that🤔

If you are going to continue making bigoted comments, then yes, people will call you out of it. But if the discussion is civil and based on fact, then it will be interesting. Your decision on where you feel you fit in that spectrum.
Original post by Aceadria
Let's assume that was indeed what you were stating. Why would you bring in history and other irrelevant factors in a scenario where the rape of the woman should be the focal point. Japanese opinions on immigration are irrelevant in a conversation where a victim's life has been forever changed and altered for the worst. Imperial Japan was no doubt an aggressive and fascist regime; but this line of debating has no place in a conversation about rape. No individual deserves to be mistreated for the actions of their ancestors.

Are you confused??? Some made a comment about the neighbors of Japan so I responded but did not quote them. The immigration issue was not irrelevant. Did you even read the first comment on this thread?
If you are going to continue making bigoted comments, then yes, people will call you out of it. But if the discussion is civil and based on fact, then it will be interesting. Your decision on where you feel you fit in that spectrum.

You missed the joke. Don't you know what a weeaboo is?
Reply 75
Original post by Jebedee
x

"Culturally Enriched"

Or their kin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You missed the joke. Don't you know what a weeaboo is?

Precisely why I didn't find it funny.
Are you confused??? Some made a comment about the neighbors of Japan so I responded but did not quote them. The immigration issue was not irrelevant. Did you even read the first comment on this thread?

Nothing about your initial statement is confusing:

Lol don't the Japanese remember what they did to Korea and China?

Your intention was clear and I've made outlined it earlier.
Original post by Josb
"Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto: First and foremost, I must point out that in Japan as well as many other countries, there are many people who express their different ideas. That is the system that we have in our country, which I hope that you can understand. On that condition, I would like to say definitely that some comments do not really follow the true intentions of the Government of Japan or those of the vast majority of the Japanese people. In 1995, on the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II, the Government of Japan expressed its resolution through the statement by the Prime Minister, which states that during a certain period in the past, Japan's conduct caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, including China, and the Prime Minister expressed his feeling of deep remorse and stated his heartfelt apology, while giving his word to make efforts for peace. I myself was one of the ministers who was involved in drafting this statement. I would like to repeat that this is the official position of the Government of Japan. During the summit meeting that I had during my visit to China, I have made this point very clear in a frank manner to the Chinese side. Premier Li Peng said that he concurs completely with my remarks. There is one more point that I would like to make. Immediately after this press conference, I will visit the northeastern region of China, which is the first time for a Japanese prime minister to visit this region since the end of World War II. I am going to visit the War Memorial Museum, looking straight at the past history. I wanted to experience the real fruit of friendship and cooperation as we look toward the future. I have selected this itinerary myself, because of the hope that I just expressed."
http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/china/conference.html#4

Whilst some Japanese officials have refused or shown reluctance to apologise for Japanese crimes during WW2, it does not mean that all Japanese officials have refused to do so.

Many of the Shinto association’s aims overlap with those of another increasingly influential group, Nippon Kaigi (Japan Conference), whose 38,000 members, including Abe and most of his cabinet, believe that Japan “liberated” Asia from Western colonial powers, and that the postwar constitution has emasculated the country’s “true, original characteristics”.

Likened by some to the Tea party in the US, Nippon Kaigi believes that Japan’s postwar education system promotes a “masochistic” view of its modern history; under pressure from its members several school authorities have adopted textbooks that gloss over or ignore Japan’s wartime atrocities.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/25/g7-japan-world-leaders-tour-shrine-cameron-obama-abe

just today on the guardian.

But i can understand why france wants to downplay imperialism. France did a "Japan" in Algeria. And ultimately this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Summer_Palace#Destruction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending