The Student Room Group

Please can someone help?

I'm really keen on going to Oxford (or Cambridge) and doing English but I'm doing my GCSEs this year which means that I'm not sitting AS' next year and therefore have nothing to show grade wise in my application except my GCSEs...For GCSEs I am predicted the following:

Maths: A* (Already have from sitting last year)
English Language: A* (Though I already have an A from November sitting)
English Literature: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A
French: A
RS: A*
History: A/B
Latin: A
Music: A

Overall: 6A*s, 4As and A/B (potential A but I'm not confident at all for History)

Based on these grades could I be considered for Oxbridge or are they too weak? Please be honest.

Thank you!
Original post by asox
I'm really keen on going to Oxford (or Cambridge) and doing English but I'm doing my GCSEs this year which means that I'm not sitting AS' next year and therefore have nothing to show grade wise in my application except my GCSEs...For GCSEs I am predicted the following:

Overall: 6A*s, 4As and A/B (potential A but I'm not confident at all for History)

Based on these grades could I be considered for Oxbridge or are they too weak? Please be honest.

Thank you!

if you achieved those grades you would definitely be considered. chances at oxbridge are more to do with your submitted work and interview really, especially at oxford considering how many people they invite to interview.

For cambridge they like REALLY high UMS percentages at Alevel so keep that in mind!

Good luck!

p.s. OP I know someone who got into corpus Christi college oxford for english with 6A*s 3As and 1B! Just making sure I got the correct grades before adding it in here!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
You'll likely hear from a lot of people that "your grades will be fine, I know of someone who got all Us and got in!"However, you wanted honesty, so here it is:

I actually asked a similar question to my University application teacher, and he said that "Oxbridge will generally accept 9A*s without a second thought, 8A*s most of the time, but not always, and to get in with 7A*s you'd need a bit of luck and you'd need to push it. Anything below is generally rejected."

So it's not incredibly likely, but there is still a tiny chance; Oxbridge requirements are incredibly high. Don't rule out other Russel group unis though.

I'm not saying your results aren't good or anything - they look brilliant. However, Oxbridge is very competetive - many people say that the average A* amount is 10.5.

Also remember that at the moment we are in the transition years when A levels and AS levels are changing; this means that Oxbridge will rely more on your GCSE grades than AS grades to determine potential. It seems really strange, but it's the way it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HelloAsox
You'll likely hear from a lot of people that "your grades will be fine, I know of someone who got all Us and got in!"However, you wanted honesty, so here it is:

I actually asked a similar question to my University application teacher, and he said that "Oxbridge will generally accept 9A*s without a second thought, 8A*s most of the time, but not always, and to get in with 7A*s you'd need a bit of luck and you'd need to push it. Anything below is generally rejected."

So it's not incredibly likely, but there is still a tiny chance; Oxbridge requirements are incredibly high. Don't rule out other Russel group unis though.

I'm not saying your results aren't good or anything - they look brilliant. However, Oxbridge is very competetive - many people say that the average A* amount is 10.5.

this is not how oxford admissions works, they dont go down the list ranking everyone by GCSE and its based on everyones own merit. there is a reason why people get in every year with 1A* over someone with 10A*s and its due to the diverse ways of judging applicants before and during interview.

I was always told at college that 6A*s would be the minimum to not make a risky application, and after asking admissions tutors at oxford they did mention that they take a more hollistic way to judging applicants than just GCSEs

Also remember that at the moment we are in the transition years when A levels and AS levels are changing; this means that Oxbridge will rely more on your GCSE grades than AS grades to determine potential. It seems really strange, but it's the way it is.

Granted a lot of change is happening atm what with A2s and AS, but you've been given incorrect advice. School teachers like this make me SO mad, grrrrrrr :mad:
Original post by asox

Thank you!

Those grades would stand you in good stead for Oxford, presuming all other things are well. For Oxford, you would want a strong ELAT score. I'm not an English student or alumna, so maybe someone else can advise better on what the ELAT is and how (if one can) to prepare for it :smile:

Reach for the stars! :moon:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Granted a lot of change is happening atm what with A2s and AS, but you've been given incorrect advice. School teachers like this make me SO mad, grrrrrrr :mad:

How frustrating is it... at my 6th form if you got above 6A* grades they put you into an Oxbridge group and tutored you for interviews and entrance exams, when confronted on why the cutoff is 6A*s they said some spiel about thats how many A*s they want minimum... really annoys me!
granted they cant take everyone into this ox bridge programme but please!
Original post by Natalierm2707
How frustrating is it... at my 6th form if you got above 6A* grades they put you into an Oxbridge group and tutored you for interviews and entrance exams, when confronted on why the cutoff is 6A*s they said some spiel about thats how many A*s they want minimum... really annoys me!
granted they cant take everyone into this ox bridge programme but please!

Obviously the more A*s one has, the better for one's application, but it's far from the be-all-and-end-all.

Schools do frustrate me with how they select and prioritise their Oxbridge applicants. Plus teachers come out with so much BS. Like I was told I'd never get in. I soon showed them, mwahahahahaha :devil:
Reply 8
if you achieved those grades you would definitely be considered. chances at oxbridge are more to do with your submitted work and interview really, especially at oxford considering how many people they invite to interview.

For cambridge they like REALLY high UMS percentages at Alevel so keep that in mind!

Good luck!

p.s. OP I know someone who got into corpus Christi college oxford for english with 6A*s 3As and 1B! Just making sure I got the correct grades before adding it in here!

Thank you so much for this, it's really reassuring. I'm hoping for more than 6 a*s anyway but I don't want to get my hopes too high only to find out that I hardly have any, but thank you!

This curiosity is simply a form of procrastination. I should really be revising...

Thank you to everyone else too - I've given rep x
Original post by asox
Thank you so much for this, it's really reassuring. I'm hoping for more than 6 a*s anyway but I don't want to get my hopes too high only to find out that I hardly have any, but thank you!

This curiosity is simply a form of procrastination. I should really be revising...

Thank you to everyone else too - I've given rep x

haha dont worry im procrastinating to... ive got my first year med school exams in a week...

Good luck with everything!
Reply 10
Those grades would stand you in good stead for Oxford, presuming all other things are well. For Oxford, you would want a strong ELAT score. I'm not an English student or alumna, so maybe someone else can advise better on what the ELAT is and how (if one can) to prepare for it :smile:

This makes me so happy - I've just done some research on ELAT:

"The ELAT is a paper-based test. The 90-minute test is designed to enable applicants to show their ability in the key skill of close reading. Candidates write one essay comparing two or three passages set for comment, focusing on elements such as: language."

This is the sort of thing people who have done well in GCSEs/A-level solely due to absurd quantities of revision regardless of understanding where they simply regurgitated information onto the papers, can't revise for and happens to be something I enjoy doing!
Thank you!
Reply 11
haha dont worry im procrastinating to... ive got my first year med school exams in a week...

Good luck with everything!

Ahh good luck - I'm sure you'll ace them :tongue:
Reply 12
However, Oxbridge is very competetive - many people say that the average A* amount is 10.5.

No. The average is nearer 5 or 6 A*. And GCSEs aren't that important for most courses anyway at either Cambridge or Oxford.
Reply 13

And Cambridge too now - they've added ELAT to the pre-interview admissions process, partly in response to losing UMS from AS-levels.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english
Original post by asox

Thank you!

That will be fine. The oxbridge universities would give you a free Sinclair C5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EQetm_qWDg
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
No. The average is nearer 5 or 6 A*. And GCSEs aren't that important for most courses anyway at either Cambridge or Oxford.

Original post by jneill
And Cambridge too now - they've added ELAT to the pre-interview admissions process, partly in response to losing UMS from AS-levels.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english

This is so helpful - thank you!
Reply 16
Original post by asox
This is so helpful - thank you!

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending