The Student Room Group

C2 Maths AS aqa 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1120015
Does full UMS mean getting 100%? Or can you drop 3/4 marks?

To get full UMS you don't need full marks, you can drop a couple (not often more than 3)
Original post by Porkieee.ee
18/2(56+17(-2))
9(56-34)
9(22)
=198

I did a method similar to yours except i made a very silly error. I got first term as 22, difference as -2 and number of terms as 18, so I should've done

18/2(44-34)=90

However, I accidentally didn't minus one from number of terms and did 18x2=36 as opposed to 17x2=34 so i did

18/2(44-36)=72

Does anyone know how many marks i would lose? I always hate myself for making the silliest mistakes ever and losing easy marks because of that.
Original post by BlackthornRose
I did a method similar to yours except i made a very silly error. I got first term as 22, difference as -2 and number of terms as 18, so I should've done

18/2(44-34)=90

However, I accidentally didn't minus one from number of terms and did 18x2=36 as opposed to 17x2=34 so i did

18/2(44-36)=72

Does anyone know how many marks i would lose? I always hate myself for making the silliest mistakes ever and losing easy marks because of that.

Id say you'd lose maybe 2 marks, as you'd definitely lose the accuracy mark, and maybe a method mark as you went wrong in the method, rather than just having your final answer wrong
If you stated the formula with (n - 1)d then you may not lose the method mark however if you didn't then it may be perceived as you thought the formula was (n)d
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1120015
Hey

I think I messed up both C1 and C2 papers and I am very upset about my self. I was wondering, to get an overall B grade in AS maths what do you need to get across all papers inclucding M1? And what would you need to get a C overall? Please reply.

I think to get an overall B you need 70% of the UMS. Whilst a C is 60% of the possible UMS?
Original post by muddyfish
To get full UMS you don't need full marks, you can drop a couple (not often more than 3)

Depends on the difficulty of the exam; last year's C3 or 4, you could get around 65 and get full UMS. Can't wait to see what they got lined up for me this year.....
Original post by Bosssman
Id say you'd lose maybe 2 marks, as you'd definitely lose the accuracy mark, and maybe a method mark as you went wrong in the method, rather than just having your final answer wrong
If you stated the formula with (n - 1)d then you may not lose the method mark however if you didn't then it may be perceived as you thought the formula was (n)d

Yeah that makes sense, i thought the same thing. Really can't remember whether i stayed the formula. They wouldn't bother looking at previous parts of the question would they? I think i stated the formula in that same question but a previous part to it.

Ugh i give up, it depresses me, I'm sure I've lost at least 10 marks, what about you? What do you suppose the grade boundaries will be for an A?

Thanks by the way.
For the question about finding the perimeter, I got the radius of the sector to be 5.8. Most people who attempted the question at my sixth form did too. I'm not sure which is right xD
Original post by Eliottooooo
For god's sake, I was too buzzed in the moment with knowing how to do it, left it as 13.76

Haha, will only drop the A1 mark so not too bad
Original post by BlackthornRose
Yeah that makes sense, i thought the same thing. Really can't remember whether i stayed the formula. They wouldn't bother looking at previous parts of the question would they? I think i stated the formula in that same question but a previous part to it.

Ugh i give up, it depresses me, I'm sure I've lost at least 10 marks, what about you? What do you suppose the grade boundaries will be for an A?

Thanks by the way.

Pretty sure I got 100%, however I may have lost 1 or 2 marks somewhere! I do think, as there were quite a lot of questions with the aim to trick people, that people may have found it difficult, even though it wasn't a technically difficult exam, so I suppose the A boundary will be around 59/60
Pretty sure I got 100%, however I may have lost 1 or 2 marks somewhere! I do think, as there were quite a lot of questions with the aim to trick people, that people may have found it difficult, even though it wasn't a technically difficult exam, so I suppose the A boundary will be around 59/60

Well congrats! That's great! (Hope it's not premature lol). Ah well, as long as i can get an A it should be fine. I'm basically making myself feel better by saying to myself it's because I self studied and had to do it in roughly 6 months, but it's not working because i know i made stupid mistakes and could've done better.

Sorry, don't know why I'm ranting to you lol. Anyway thanks for answering my questions :smile:
There were 2 parts of the equation that was equal to zero, therefore there was the part a) solution to tanx = -5/4 and also the solution of tanx = 1
The angles were 45, 225, 129, 309

I couldn't do the first part of the question so couldn't solve the second bracket, but got tanx = 1, which gave x = 45, 225, then two other numbers which were wrong, how many marks, if any, would I get?
Original post by celiajacobs
I couldn't do the first part of the question so couldn't solve the second bracket, but got tanx = 1, which gave x = 45, 225, then two other numbers which were wrong, how many marks, if any, would I get?

Well as you answered half the question of expect that you would get half marks, so maybe 2/5? I'm not really sure what the number of marks for the question is, sorry
Original post by beanigger
Unoffical Mark scheme for C2 AQA 2016

It would help if you could correct the amount of marks in each question if it is wrong please :biggrin:

Questions:

1)a) integrate something to get -36x-1 + ax2 /2 [3]
b) find the value of a when the answer to 1)a) is equal to 16 with limits of 3 to 1, a = - 2 [2]

2)a) Draw the graph of (0.2)x and state where it crosses axis (0,1) [2]
b) use logarithms to solve (0.2)x = 4 , x = -0.861 [2]
c) describe transformation of (0.2)x onto (5)x reflection in y axis [1]

3)a) differentiate something to get 3x-1/2 -1 [2]
b) find y co-ordinate of the maximum point M M(9,6) [3]
c) equation of normal to curve at P i think P was (5,6) y=-2x+13 [2]
d) the normal to curve at P is translated by (0,k) find value of k, k = 5.5 [3]

4)a) show that a+10d=8 [2]
b)sum to 2nd and 3rd term is 50, work out the 12th term of the series D=-2 and A=28, u12 = 6 [3]
c) work out the sum of the 21st term minus sum of 3rd term = 90 [3]

5)a) show that thetha (in radians) was 0.568 [2]
b) work out area of triangle 19.9 [2]
c) work out perimeter of shaded area, first piece of info given -> area of sector = area of shaded area

you had to realise that the area of sector = area of triangle - area of sector
re-arrange to get 2(area of sector) = 19.9 and solve for r to get 5.36?
perimeter of shaded = (9-r) + (8-r) + 5 + (length of arc = r*theta)
perimeter of shaded = 13.8 [6]

6)a)trapezium rule to get 65.6 [4]
b) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y = 5 + (x2 +9)1/2
Translation by (0, 5) [2]
c) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y=3(x2 +1)1/2 Stretch by scale factor 1/3 in x direction [2]

7)a) expand (2+x)5 work out p q r, i think p was 10 q was -80 and r was 80 (correct me if im wrong) [4]
b)find the coefficient of x10 in the expansion of (2+x)5 * (something else)7
it was something like -1648 [5]

8)a)find the value of tan(x) tan(x) = -5/4 [2]
b) values of tanx in the range of 0 to 360 degrees 45, 129, 225, 309 [3]
b) re-arrange 16+9sin2x / 3 - 5cosx into the form p + qcosx and find the min value = 2, this is when x is equal to pi [4]

9)re-arrange something into the form (c)1/2 / d^2 to get 3y y = 1/2 ( m + 12n) [4]
b) find the one and only solution of something, x = 5/2 ( you should get two equal roots i think) [4]

For perimeter question I got 13.5? Radius I got waa 5.919? 0.5r^2theta = 9.95(half triangle area) then rearrange????????
Original post by beanigger
Unoffical Mark scheme for C2 AQA 2016

It would help if you could correct the amount of marks in each question if it is wrong please :biggrin:

Questions:

1)a) integrate something to get -36x-1 + ax2 /2 [3]
b) find the value of a when the answer to 1)a) is equal to 16 with limits of 3 to 1, a = - 2 [2]

2)a) Draw the graph of (0.2)x and state where it crosses axis (0,1) [2]
b) use logarithms to solve (0.2)x = 4 , x = -0.861 [2]
c) describe transformation of (0.2)x onto (5)x reflection in y axis [1]

3)a) differentiate something to get 3x-1/2 -1 [2]
b) find y co-ordinate of the maximum point M M(9,6) [3]
c) equation of normal to curve at P i think P was (5,6) y=-2x+13 [2]
d) the normal to curve at P is translated by (0,k) find value of k, k = 5.5 [3]

4)a) show that a+10d=8 [2]
b)sum to 2nd and 3rd term is 50, work out the 12th term of the series D=-2 and A=28, u12 = 6 [3]
c) work out the sum of the 21st term minus sum of 3rd term = 90 [3]

5)a) show that thetha (in radians) was 0.568 [2]
b) work out area of triangle 19.9 [2]
c) work out perimeter of shaded area, first piece of info given -> area of sector = area of shaded area

you had to realise that the area of sector = area of triangle - area of sector
re-arrange to get 2(area of sector) = 19.9 and solve for r to get 5.36?
perimeter of shaded = (9-r) + (8-r) + 5 + (length of arc = r*theta)
perimeter of shaded = 13.8 [6]

6)a)trapezium rule to get 65.6 [4]
b) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y = 5 + (x2 +9)1/2
Translation by (0, 5) [2]
c) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y=3(x2 +1)1/2 Stretch by scale factor 1/3 in x direction [2]

7)a) expand (2+x)5 work out p q r, i think p was 10 q was -80 and r was 80 (correct me if im wrong) [4]
b)find the coefficient of x10 in the expansion of (2+x)5 * (something else)7
it was something like -1648 [5]

8)a)find the value of tan(x) tan(x) = -5/4 [2]
b) values of tanx in the range of 0 to 360 degrees 45, 129, 225, 309 [3]
b) re-arrange 16+9sin2x / 3 - 5cosx into the form p + qcosx and find the min value = 2, this is when x is equal to pi [4]

9)re-arrange something into the form (c)1/2 / d^2 to get 3y y = 1/2 ( m + 12n) [4]
b) find the one and only solution of something, x = 5/2 ( you should get two equal roots i think) [4]

On 7b I simplified it to -103x^10, I know this will not get me 5/5 marks but would it get me 4 out of the 5 marks????
Original post by Manliker
For perimeter question I got 13.5? Radius I got waa 5.919? 0.5r^2theta = 9.95(half triangle area) then rearrange????????

I didn't simplify any of my decimals until the very very end and got 13.8
Would I get follow on marks if I forgot to divide 36.8 on the 6 marker?
Original post by Jjohnson919
Would I get follow on marks if I forgot to divide 36.8 on the 6 marker?

Not on the 6 marker, but the question before about finding the area. I obviously halved it on the 6 marker to get 19.9
Reply 177
I completely forgot to work out the 12th term but I worked out a and d so how many marks would I lose?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by celiajacobs
I didn't simplify any of my decimals until the very very end and got 13.8

Ffs 😩
I got -5/2 for the last one, and that made the equation = 0 when inserted, anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending