The Student Room Group

C2 Maths AS aqa 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zaydy3
Think I've got 68 or 69 /75 on this, any idea how many UMS that would approximately be??

Thanks

About 95.
perimeter of the shaded area did it not say that the triangle and sector had equal areas so I thought it would be 19.9/2 and the find r and then arc length
Reply 222
Original post by CirclesAreRound
Ah my bad! If you're looking for a B grade then a mark of 60 sends you nicely above the boundary, actually nearing the A!

For a B you usually need 56/57 so you're high and dry!

Either way it doesnt look too well for me - hopefully my modular can help me secure a B. I think I missed the B by maybe 4/5 marks in the C1 and maybe just about got a B in the C2 (around 52)....
Reply 223
Original post by Parhomus
Saw you on the breadth in physics thread too; catch seeing you all over the place, in regards to the C1; I doubt it would be above 60; and if it was, very low maybe 61/62 max. I got the answers correct but I had to check my answers sooooo many times. This being for an A, a B is usually around 8 marks lower than this.

Im all over this place during exam time haha

Any idea on the C2 for a B, given how you did on it? I didnt find it especially hard personally, but just made some silly mistakes and missed marks on some of the big questions...
Original post by Chickenslayer69
About 95.

That seems a bit high?!
Original post by Zaydy3
That seems a bit high?!

I may not be accurate, but I am fairly certain 68/69 would be over 90 UMS.

You can see here that people generally found the paper quite challenging:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4117603
I did sit the paper today and I found it to be the most enjoyable C2 paper I've done. But I feel the need to add a little disclaimer that I'm a resit student as I got a C in C2 last year

I got an A overall at AS (A in C1 & A in M1 basically saved my bacon) but my C2 was shockingly poor so I retook today. I'm optimistic about my score, hoping for beyond 90 UMS but we shall see

Definitely agree with you there, anything beyond 60 would be weird. The general mark range for an A is the about the mid/high 50's and I don't think this year will be any

wait so you have to resit all your modules eventhough you did good in C1 and M1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by voltz

Any idea on the C2 for a B, given how you did on it? I didnt find it especially hard personally, but just made some silly mistakes and missed marks on some of the big questions...

I found it very tricky; doesn't mean I got many wrong, I think I made one or two mistakes such as expanding the expression ^7 correct, then doing the coefficient wrong; even though I knew how to get the coefficient for x^10. Also I forgot to draw the graph of 0.2^x as an L shape instead of what i drew which was the usual exponential diagram. I think the only question I truly found hard was the one with 3(x^2+1)^1/2 and I wrote y direction stretch s.f 3 which was wrong. I assumed they had made a mistake :P and didn't go with my intuition telling me x direction s.f 1/3.
Probably around 70/75 or so, anyways assuming how I usually got 73/74 out of 75 on my mocks I think a B would be around 52 I think; or around there.
Reply 228
The question was

4sinθ + 5cosθ = 0

Dividing throughout by cosθ yielded:

4tanθ + 5 = 0

Rearranging gives 4tanθ = –5

So overall tanθ = –(5/4)

I remember the question being 4sinX - 5cosx = 0. How annoying if i simply read it wrong! Oh well, thanks.
Reply 229
Original post by Parhomus
I found it very tricky; doesn't mean I got many wrong, I think I made one or two mistakes such as expanding the expression ^7 correct, then doing the coefficient wrong; even though I knew how to get the coefficient for x^10. Also I forgot to draw the graph of 0.2^x as an L shape instead of what i drew which was the usual exponential diagram. I think the only question I truly found hard was the one with 3(x^2+1)^1/2 and I wrote y direction stretch s.f 3 which was wrong. I assumed they had made a mistake :P and didn't go with my intuition telling me x direction s.f 1/3.
Probably around 70/75 or so, anyways assuming how I usually got 73/74 out of 75 on my mocks I think a B would be around 52 I think; or around there.

That seems achievable for me in that paper.

I made the same mistake for the graph but atleast there will be one mark for the y intercept of 1. As for the transformations, I think I put a stretch parallel to the y axis by a scle factor of 3 since it would only be a sf of 1/3 when its with an x, right?
[QUOTE="Dynamic_Vicz;65172973"]
I did sit the paper today and I found it to be the most enjoyable C2 paper I've done. But I feel the need to add a little disclaimer that I'm a resit student as I got a C in C2 last year

I got an A overall at AS (A in C1 & A in M1 basically saved my bacon) but my C2 was shockingly poor so I retook today. I'm optimistic about my score, hoping for beyond 90 UMS but we shall see

Definitely agree with you there, anything beyond 60 would be weird. The general mark range for an A is the about the mid/high 50's and I don't think this year will be any

wait so you have to resit all your modules eventhough you did good in C1 and M1

Good lord no. I only retook C2 and my scores C1 and M1 from 2015 are staying as they are. My new C2 score will replace my 2015 paper score giving me a new total overall mark for C2.

Three cheers for resits*

*Resits are for naughty buggers who don't try hard enough/do enough work the first time (Ahem me last year when I decided to do no past papers for C2. Worked well didn't it. Ha. Ha.)
Original post by voltz

could you link me to the physics thread? This is for the new specification right?
Original post by physicsstudent27
perimeter of the shaded area did it not say that the triangle and sector had equal areas so I thought it would be 19.9/2 and the find r and then arc length

The question stated that the shaded area had the same area as the sector which had been removed from the triangle.

So 19.9 =/= ½r^2θ

It's actually

19.9 ½r^2θ = ½r^2θ
[QUOTE="CirclesAreRound;65173433"]
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz

Good lord no. I only retook C2 and my scores C1 and M1 from 2015 are staying as they are. My new C2 score will replace my 2015 paper score giving me a new total overall mark for C2.

Three cheers for resits*

*Resits are for naughty buggers who don't try hard enough/do enough work the first time (Ahem me last year when I decided to do no past papers for C2. Worked well didn't it. Ha. Ha.)
😂😂 oh lol my bad my logic was bad there. 👏👏 guess it looks like your going to get a very high A grade for maths (very close to 300 UMS)
Reply 234
Did you have to do b^2-4ac for the last question?? or could you just type the equation into the calculator and show x= .....
Original post by lgrg
Did you have to do b^2-4ac for the last question?? or could you just type the equation into the calculator and show x= .....

Nah you had to prove it only had one solution. You would only lose one mark tho.
[QUOTE="Dynamic_Vicz;65173995"]
😂😂 oh lol my bad my logic was bad there. 👏👏 guess it looks like your going to get a very high A grade for maths (very close to 300 UMS)

Haha here's hoping! Best of luck to you too!
Reply 237
how do you know that the 0.2^x to 5^x question was a reflection in the y-axis?
Original post by lgrg
how do you know that the 0.2^x to 5^x question was a reflection in the y-axis?

0.2 = 1/5 = 5^-1

Hence 5^-x ===> 5^x

The -x changes to x so there's a reflection in the y-axis.
Original post by beanigger
Unoffical Mark scheme for C2 AQA 2016

It would help if you could correct the amount of marks in each question if it is wrong please :biggrin:

Questions:

1)a) integrate something to get -36x-1 + ax2 /2 [3]
b) find the value of a when the answer to 1)a) is equal to 16 with limits of 3 to 1, a = - 2 [2]

2)a) Draw the graph of (0.2)x and state where it crosses axis (0,1) [2]
b) use logarithms to solve (0.2)x = 4 , x = -0.861 [2]
c) describe transformation of (0.2)x onto (5)x reflection in y axis [1]

3)a) differentiate something to get 3x-1/2 -1 [2]
b) find y co-ordinate of the maximum point M M(9,6) [3]
c) equation of normal to curve at P i think P was (5,6) y=-2x+13 [2]
d) the normal to curve at P is translated by (0,k) find value of k, k = 5.5 [3]

4)a) show that a+10d=8 [2]
b)sum to 2nd and 3rd term is 50, work out the 12th term of the series D=-2 and A=28, u12 = 6 [3]
c) work out the sum of the 21st term minus sum of 3rd term = 90 [3]

5)a) show that thetha (in radians) was 0.568 [2]
b) work out area of triangle 19.9 [2]
c) work out perimeter of shaded area, first piece of info given -> area of sector = area of shaded area

you had to realise that the area of sector = area of triangle - area of sector
re-arrange to get 2(area of sector) = 19.9 and solve for r to get 5.36?
perimeter of shaded = (9-r) + (8-r) + 5 + (length of arc = r*theta)
perimeter of shaded = 13.8 [6]

6)a)trapezium rule to get 65.6 [4]
b) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y = 5 + (x2 +9)1/2
Translation by (0, 5) [2]
c) describe transformation of graph y=(x2 +9)1/2 onto y=3(x2 +1)1/2 Stretch by scale factor 1/3 in x direction [2]

7)a) expand (2+x)5 work out p q r, i think p was 10 q was -80 and r was 80 (correct me if im wrong) [4]
b)find the coefficient of x10 in the expansion of (2+x)5 * (something else)7
it was something like -1648 [5]

8)a)find the value of tan(x) tan(x) = -5/4 [2]
b) values of tanx in the range of 0 to 360 degrees 45, 129, 225, 309 [3]
b) re-arrange 16+9sin2x / 3 - 5cosx into the form p + qcosx and find the min value = 2, this is when x is equal to pi [4]

9)re-arrange something into the form (c)1/2 / d^2 to get 3y y = 1/2 ( m + 12n) [4]
b) find the one and only solution of something, x = 5/2 ( you should get two equal roots i think) [4]

think it was p=-10 q-40 r--80 as the other 80 in the expansion was already showed in the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending