The Student Room Group

Edexcel History AS - South Africa

A lot of people are struggling with this (well the ones I know), so here are some notes I made on all the topics.

Edit in November 2019: some people are having difficulty opening the attachments for some reason. If you PM me I can resend them there :smile:

I also have 1.3 for America on here: https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/13-society-and-culture-in-change
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you, these are so useful! My teacher hasn't taught us the last section and the exam is so soon arghhh
Reply 2
Original post by Inneedofyourhelp
Thank you, these are so useful! My teacher hasn't taught us the last section and the exam is so soon arghhh

Lool same
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi. I just want to say thanks for your notes. I couldnt be bothered to make any and yours really helped me with my exam :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Heya!
Just wanted to say a huge thank you! Without your notes, I definitely would have failed my exam today. You made it so much easier and simpler to understand. Thank you!!!
Reply 5
What were the questions?
Original post by Inneedofyourhelp

Original post by A.A.M.I.R
Hi. I just want to say thanks for your notes. I couldnt be bothered to make any and yours really helped me with my exam :smile:

Original post by NiamhGibson
Heya!
Just wanted to say a huge thank you! Without your notes, I definitely would have failed my exam today. You made it so much easier and simpler to understand. Thank you!!!

You should thank @_Lizabeth_ by giving her rep for her post. She has taken the trouble to type up and upload her notes here for everyone's benefit. Not many people would do that. Agreed?

Original post by SA Help
What were the questions?

Is South Africa history anything but boring? Does it cover Mandela and the apartheid?
Reply 7
Original post by Audrey18
You should thank @_Lizabeth_ by giving her rep for her post. She has taken the trouble to type up and upload her notes here for everyone's benefit. Not many people would do that. Agreed?

Is South Africa history anything but boring? Does it cover Mandela and the apartheid?

Its actually quite an interesting piece of history, lots of conflicts in political ideologies, many different protests (both violent and non-violent) leading to international reactions to issues surrounding race and equality. I think its more interesting than areas like American history and yes it covers a lot about Mandela and his development from Apartheid protestor to Prime Minister
It is a very interesting country and its history is quite unique. I really enjoyed learning about it!
Original post by SA Help
What were the questions?

The 8 mark source question was about the views of the PAC in the 1950s. The source was from an article written by Sobukwe, who led the PAC. I cant remember the exact wording of the question but it was similar to that.

The 12 mark source question was about the attitudes towards pass laws in the 1950s. The source was from Helen Joseph.

The 20 markers were:

How accurate is it to say that the growth in Afrikaner nationalism was the main reason for the National Party winning the 1948 election?

Was the Black Conciousness Movement the main reason for the Soweto Uprising?

And the last one was something about Botha's reforms.

I cant remember the exact wording of any questions but hopefully this tells you what you wanted to know :smile:
Reply 10
The 8 mark source question was about the views of the PAC in the 1950s. The source was from an article written by Sobukwe, who led the PAC. I cant remember the exact wording of the question but it was similar to that.

The 12 mark source question was about the attitudes towards pass laws in the 1950s. The source was from Helen Joseph.

The 20 markers were:

How accurate is it to say that the growth in Afrikaner nationalism was the main reason for the National Party winning the 1948 election?

Was the Black Conciousness Movement the main reason for the Soweto Uprising?

And the last one was something about Botha's reforms.

I cant remember the exact wording of any questions but hopefully this tells you what you wanted to know :smile:

Thanks very much, I'm doing the same test as a mock tomorrow
Heya!

I wanted to ask you. If you do get a good mark on this paper, would you tell people that the real reason why you got that high mark was cos of @_Lizabeth_ or would you just keep quiet about it and let people assume that you've been studying diligently for this subject since Day 1?

Have you given @_Lizabeth_ rep yet for being so kind to type out her notes and upload them here for everyone's benefit? You do realise that only a handful out of a million people who visit this forum will actually ever be this helpful?

Original post by SA Help
Its actually quite an interesting piece of history, lots of conflicts in political ideologies, many different protests (both violent and non-violent) leading to international reactions to issues surrounding race and equality. I think its more interesting than areas like American history and yes it covers a lot about Mandela and his development from Apartheid protestor to Prime Minister

You know when I think of Mandela, I can't help but feel sad cos during his funeral Obama and Cameron took a selfied of themselves smiling. Have you seen that picture? Is it right for leaders of two countries to be taking a selfie at the funeral service of a legendary man?
Original post by Audrey18
I wanted to ask you. If you do get a good mark on this paper, would you tell people that the real reason why you got that high mark was cos of @_Lizabeth_ or would you just keep quiet about it and let people assume that you've been studying diligently for this subject since Day 1?

Have you given @_Lizabeth_ rep yet for being so kind to type out her notes and upload them here for everyone's benefit? You do realise that only a handful out of a million people who visit this forum will actually ever be this helpful?

You know when I think of Mandela, I can't help but feel sad cos during his funeral Obama and Cameron took a selfied of themselves smiling. Have you seen that picture? Is it right for leaders of two countries to be taking a selfie at the funeral service of a legendary man?

Yes I have given her rep actually.
Appreciation is greater than rep
These notes are great, thank you very much! :smile:
Also, I was just wondering if anyone has any notes for the America section?
Thank you so much for these notes- just wondering if anyone has the questions from the America exam as we have it for a mock and everyone else in the class knows the questions already 😅😁😁
Reply 17
Original post by _Lizabeth_
A lot of people are struggling with this (well the ones I know), so here are some notes I made on all the topics.

Most were done in a rush so sorry for any mistakes but it was just soo long :/ Anyways, I recommend you skim through it if you're starting revision on this late because it's shorter but still quite long.

Enjoy :smile:

Thank you so much is there any chance you could do these for the American section too
This is really helpful! thank you!
Original post by _Lizabeth_

Where are the notes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending