The Student Room Group

Job interview in rough area - should I be worried?

Hey all

(Mods please keep anonymous. I don't want prospective employers to see this.)

I've just finished my degree and I'm looking for jobs right now.

I've been applying via recruiter websites. The recruiter website advertises jobs in the North West.

I've been shortlisted for an interview for an ideal role. The job is in Crewe - 30-35 minutes on the train from Manchester, and if I were to get the job then I would live in Manchester and commute to Crewe. The train is very regular as well. I had been hoping to get a job in Manchester but this role seems ideal, and I willing to go where there are opportunities - except for The Big Smoke.

Anyway, I don't know Crewe at all, so I started googling the workplace and Crewe itself, and I've read some really bad things about it. When I found pictures of the area surrounding the workplace the area looked gloomy, so I feel very concerned about the area. The workplace is 11-13 minutes walk away from Crewe train station, so not far, but still, I don't want to have worry too much. My safety is important to me.

What should I do? I'm still going for the interview, which is next week, but after hearing so many bad things I am wary.
Reply 1
martial arts?

If you feel uncomfortable in such an area, then don't proceed with the job. Or go anyway and see how it'll prove to be.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey all

(Mods please keep anonymous. I don't want prospective employers to see this.)

I've just finished my degree and I'm looking for jobs right now.

I've been applying via recruiter websites. The recruiter website advertises jobs in the North West.

I've been shortlisted for an interview for an ideal role. The job is in Crewe - 30-35 minutes on the train from Manchester, and if I were to get the job then I would live in Manchester and commute to Crewe. The train is very regular as well. I had been hoping to get a job in Manchester but this role seems ideal, and I willing to go where there are opportunities - except for The Big Smoke.

Anyway, I don't know Crewe at all, so I started googling the workplace and Crewe itself, and I've read some really bad things about it. When I found pictures of the area surrounding the workplace the area looked gloomy, so I feel very concerned about the area. The workplace is 11-13 minutes walk away from Crewe train station, so not far, but still, I don't want to have worry too much. My safety is important to me.

What should I do? I'm still going for the interview, which is next week, but after hearing so many bad things I am wary.

Crewe is basically just a train interchange, it's not too bad, nowhere near as scuzzy as Wrexham!

Also, if you're getting the train, you may save money by getting a ticket that goes via crewe, not to it
Reply 3
Original post by __0__
Crewe is basically just a train interchange, it's not too bad, nowhere near as scuzzy as Wrexham!

Also, if you're getting the train, you may save money by getting a ticket that goes via crewe, not to it

??

The job is based in Crewe, so that's where I would be working, so I'd be travelling to Crewe.
It's just a job interview. Go for it and see how it really is.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
??

The job is based in Crewe, so that's where I would be working, so I'd be travelling to Crewe.

Yes, but tickets via crewe are almost always cheaper, and you can just get off a train before your destination...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending