The Student Room Group

bad time management

well, the title says it all.

i've had pretty bad time management skills since primary, i just can never seem to get any work done properly, though my brother just says im lazy asf lol (which i agree on) anyway, im in the middle of GCSE's and hopefully will be starting my A Levels and with the mindset of 'ah i'll do it later' i'll end up with C's and D's throughout.

i really need good tips on how to manage my time properly and how to stop procrastinating..

thanks a bunch
Original post by melisss22
well, the title says it all.

i've had pretty bad time management skills since primary, i just can never seem to get any work done properly, though my brother just says im lazy asf lol (which i agree on) anyway, im in the middle of GCSE's and hopefully will be starting my A Levels and with the mindset of 'ah i'll do it later' i'll end up with C's and D's throughout.

i really need good tips on how to manage my time properly and how to stop procrastinating..

thanks a bunch

1) Identify
Remind yourself that there’s always more to be done than can be done. Then ask yourself if you’re getting the right things done.

2)Plan
Make a smart to-do list by including only the items that you’re avoiding, not the ones you know you’ll do anyway. Then set deadlines.

3) Break it down
Break the task down to lessen the sense of being overwhelmed. Once you start to enjoy a small accomplishment or two, you’re more likely to finish.

4) No distractions
Eliminate temptation to do something else, turn off computers/phones or put them in a different room AND LOG OFF TSR!!
Reply 2
Original post by ForestShadow
1) Identify
Remind yourself that there’s always more to be done than can be done. Then ask yourself if you’re getting the right things done.

2)Plan
Make a smart to-do list by including only the items that you’re avoiding, not the ones you know you’ll do anyway. Then set deadlines.

3) Break it down
Break the task down to lessen the sense of being overwhelmed. Once you start to enjoy a small accomplishment or two, you’re more likely to finish.

4) No distractions
Eliminate temptation to do something else, turn off computers/phones or put them in a different room AND LOG OFF TSR!!

thank you!! i've tried doing to-do lists before, but i think because i listed so much stuff it put me off even more, i'll try to set more realistic goals in the future to get more job done!
Reply 3
The previous posts are all excellent and I do them all.

Plus something else I do: "A-time".

An A-time period is usually 30 minutes or an hour, and during that time I will only concentrate on one task. That task might be completable in 30 minutes/one hour, it might take a lot longer. That doesn't matter

What does matter is that during A-time I concentrate purely and exclusively on that task. No internet, no distractions, phone is on "do not disturb", no going to get a cup of tea, nothing. Just the task.

VP
I think you need to find out why you don't get things done, then you can find a solution. All the advice is given above is great and may be you should reward yourself if you do achieve a task How about treating yourself to tsr for 15 mins when you tick something of your list. Good luck.
To add to the excellent tips above.

Set a realistic amount of study-time each day. Look at people around you with good time-management and see how much time they spend on study, and adjust accordingly if your circumstances differ.

Identify your best time of the day for study. Some work best in the morning, others in the evening. Use your best time for most or all of your study.

Experiment with different study-periods. You may work best with 25 minutes (pomodoro technique) or periods of 45-60 minutes before you take a break.

At the start of each period, note briefly your goal and the tasks to achieve that goal. For example, this morning I am going to practice my greek (my goal) by writing out the words of the greek alphabet, writing and saying aloud the days of the week in greek, writing and saying aloud 20 sentences I am learning by heart (the tasks). At the end of the study period briefly review your results. What worked, what didn't?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending