The Student Room Group

ISIS fail : Muslims refugees converting to Christianity in mass

“Hundreds of Pakistanis and Afghans have been lining up at a local swimming pool in Hamburg, Germany, to be baptized as Christians. In the Netherlands and Denmark, as well, many are converting from Islam to Christianity, and the trend appears to be growing. Indeed, converts are filling up some European churches largely forsaken by their old Christian flocks.

All of which raises a question, not least, for the United States: If American presidential candidate Donald Trump gets elected and bars Muslims from entering the country, as he says he will, would the ban apply to Christians who used to be Muslims? How would one judge the quality of their faith?

For the moment, that quandary is a ways off for U.S. Homeland Security, but in Europe even now the phenomenon is fraught with echoes of the past, problems in the present, and omens for the future. Forced conversions of Muslims and Jews during the Spanish Inquisition were a dark page in Europe’s history. More than a little suspicion surrounds some of the current conversions, seen by some to be cynical bids to improve the chance of getting asylum. And, looking forward, it’s potentially quite dangerous for those who embrace the Gospel to return to homelands where abandoning Islam for another faith can be treated as a capital crime.”

Still, many preachers are pleased. The German pastor of the Evangelical-Lutheran church in Berlin calls the conversion phenomenon “a gift from God.” In his modest community a staggering 1,200 Muslims, mainly Afghans and Iranians, converted in just three years.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/25/why-are-so-many-muslim-refugees-in-europe-suddenly-finding-jesus.html
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

doubt it tbh
Hundreds of Pakistanis and Afghans have been lining up at a local swimming pool in Hamburg, Germany, to be baptized as Christians.

Wait, I don't know how baptizing works, but don't you need 'Holy Water'? I don't think water that's had hoards of dude-genitals counts, does it?
Praise Allah.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Hundreds of Pakistanis and Afghans have been lining up at a local swimming pool in Hamburg, Germany, to be baptized as Christians.

Wait, I don't know how baptizing works, but don't you need 'Holy Water'? I don't think water that's had hoards of dude-genitals counts, does it?

Didn't you know? All a priest needs to do is mutter a few words and the water turns holy in the name of God.

Wonderful isn't it?
Reply 5
I think most refugees are converting because they feel discriminated against and feel desperate for asylum.
Reply 6
Original post by Sfhkh
I think most refugees are converting because they feel discriminated against and feel desperate for asylum.

Yes narrow minded ''islamphobia'' everywhere :angry:
Reply 7
Judging from your profile picture your posting this to incite an argument.

People do desperate/rash things in a desperate situation.

If someone put a gun to your head and said say "I ****ed the community water pool's hose" on camera - of course...you'd d it for the sake of living and not getting hurt, wouldn't you?

The less people talk about religion the better - I think if those that ARE religious talk about it among themselves the more peaceful things would be.
Original post by HucktheForde
Muslim refugees in Europe are converting to Christianity. But governments are concerned that some are doing it just to get asylum.

Why would they convert to Christianity to get asylum? Germany already has an open door policy for any refugees from the Middle East.

I'm an anti-theist so I oppose all theistic religions, Christianity included. But it's also the case that throughout history, some people (such as the "Untouchable" lowest caste in India, who were by hereditary law the worst jobs like rubbish collectors and undertakers) who have been alienated by the harsh and even violent strictures of the religion of their birth have been attracted to the somewhat more peaceful message (at least of the New Testament) of Jesus Christ.

To any Muslim in the refugee camps who converts to Christianity, I wish them all the best and I hope they stay safe as there are reports that such people have been attacked and violently harrassed in the asylum centres in Germany. Even Muslims have been attacked and gangs of extremist Islamists have taken over the asylum centres forcing everyone to go to prayers and enforcing hardline sharia prohibitions.

Do we really want these people in our countries? It's insane to let these medievalists into advanced areas of the planet, they should be restricted to their own areas (areas which, of course, the almost universal practice of Islam has turned into such paradises) :rolleyes:
Is it April's fool again?
Original post by Results
Judging from your profile picture your posting this to incite an argument.

People do desperate/rash things in a desperate situation.

So converting to Christianity is a "desperate/rash" thing but adhering to Islam is not? By converting to Christianity these people are putting their lives in mortal danger from the hardline Islamic gangs who have taken over the asylum centres in Germany. It takes a lot of guts and courage to convert in those circumstances.

They have nothing to gain, Germany already announced its open door policy to any refugee who wanted to come. As an "apostate" they face murder at the hands of the Muslim gangs in the asylum centres.

It seems to me that you should be less closed-minded and inclined to groupthink when a subject that challenges your preconceptions comes up. And you should reflect on why these extremist Muslim gangs have taken over the asylum centres, harrassing even other Muslims by forcing them to go to prayers at the right times and enforcing sharia law. And, of course, moderate Muslims are always telling us there is no problem with extremist Islam, it doesn't exist it's just a story manufactured by the imperialist Western media

No, any body of water will do. Jesus himself was baptised in a river of all places
Original post by HucktheForde
“Hundreds of Pakistanis and Afghans have been lining up at a local swimming pool in Hamburg, Germany, to be baptized as Christians. In the Netherlands and Denmark, as well, many are converting from Islam to Christianity, and the trend appears to be growing. Indeed, converts are filling up some European churches largely forsaken by their old Christian flocks.

All of which raises a question, not least, for the United States: If American presidential candidate Donald Trump gets elected and bars Muslims from entering the country, as he says he will, would the ban apply to Christians who used to be Muslims? How would one judge the quality of their faith?

For the moment, that quandary is a ways off for U.S. Homeland Security, but in Europe even now the phenomenon is fraught with echoes of the past, problems in the present, and omens for the future. Forced conversions of Muslims and Jews during the Spanish Inquisition were a dark page in Europe’s history. More than a little suspicion surrounds some of the current conversions, seen by some to be cynical bids to improve the chance of getting asylum. And, looking forward, it’s potentially quite dangerous for those who embrace the Gospel to return to homelands where abandoning Islam for another faith can be treated as a capital crime.”

Still, many preachers are pleased. The German pastor of the Evangelical-Lutheran church in Berlin calls the conversion phenomenon “a gift from God.” In his modest community a staggering 1,200 Muslims, mainly Afghans and Iranians, converted in just three years.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/25/why-are-so-many-muslim-refugees-in-europe-suddenly-finding-jesus.html

This is good news (at least from my perspective) if it's true

Are there any independent sources/ evidence?
If I recall correctly, wasn't he baptised in the River Jordan (the river splitting the East Bank and the West Bank of Palestine), thus changing his religion from Judaism to proto-Christianity?

But I thought Palestine had always been Muslim and the Jews had no claim to that land? There was a Muslim scholar who said on Arab TV a couple of weeks ago that the Al-Aqsa Mosque on top of the old Jewish temple had in fact been a mosque for 3,000 years (even though Islam didn't exist then). Sorry, I shouldn't cross-post subjects but I couldn't help it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thutmose-III
If I recall correctly, wasn't he baptised in the River Jordan (the river splitting the East Bank and the West Bank of Palestine), thus changing his religion from Judaism to proto-Christianity?

But I thought Palestine had always been Muslim and the Jews had no claim to that land? Sorry, I shouldn't cross-post subjects but I couldn't help it

Yes that is correct, how knowledgable of you :smile:

No, the ancestors of the Israelites occupied the area before palestinians. It was only after the jewish diaspora of AD30 at the hands of the romans that the land became occupied by muslims.
"100's" and "en masse" shouldnt be put together lmao.
Original post by Thutmose-III
So converting to Christianity is a "desperate/rash" thing but adhering to Islam is not? By converting to Christianity these people are putting their lives in mortal danger from the hardline Islamic gangs who have taken over the asylum centres in Germany. It takes a lot of guts and courage to convert in those circumstances.

They have nothing to gain, Germany already announced its open door policy to any refugee who wanted to come. As an "apostate" they face murder at the hands of the Muslim gangs in the asylum centres.

It seems to me that you should be less closed-minded and inclined to groupthink when a subject that challenges your preconceptions comes up. And you should reflect on why these extremist Muslim gangs have taken over the asylum centres, harrassing even other Muslims by forcing them to go to prayers at the right times and enforcing sharia law. And, of course, moderate Muslims are always telling us there is no problem with extremist Islam, it doesn't exist it's just a story manufactured by the imperialist Western media

I neither pro-Islam nor pro-Christianity - I'm far from close minded.
Indeed. And remember, there were Jewish communities that stayed in Israel and never left, thus having continuous habitation. Particularly around cities like Safed and Hebron, which were centres of Jewish learning and jurisprudence famed throughout the diaspora. I believe Safed had a Jewish majority up until around the 16th century. And now it has one again. Seems like a just outcome to me

Whether it's the letters we have from rabbis in the 7th century in German cities like Koln, or the Maimonides in 12th century Spain and then Egypt, or the reams of evidence and letters later of communications between the Jewish communities of Israel and Europe, we know they continuously inhabited that country. They never relinquished their claim to their ancestral lands, no matter what the Arab conquerors of the 7th century might claim
Original post by Results
I neither pro-Islam nor pro-Christianity - I'm far from close minded.

Then why would you reject discussion of this topic? Whether or not the OP seeks to "provoke" (which is not in itself a bad thing; being intellectually provocative can be a pathway to new kinds of thinking, to debate and disputation and then, hopefully, understanding), that doesn't mean the underlying story is more or less worthy of discussion.

Also, you said based on his profile picture he seeks to "incite an argument"; how would ridiculing Anjem Choudhury incite an argument? With whom? Only an Islamic extremist would be irritated by it
(edited 7 years ago)

Im actually dead, omg haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending