The Student Room Group

How often do you keep in contact with your best friend?

I've gotten into a habit of texting my good friend so much that all the appreciation and value of my time and effort goes unnoticed for or not returned. though when we are together we have a laugh.

How much contact should one keep with friends to keep friends life long? Is giving space good?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well i have a best friend (well we haven't spoke for 3 weeks so i dont know where we stand). I think for a healthy relationship speak at least once a week. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Talkand...Talk
Well i have a best friend (well we haven't spoke for 3 weeks so i dont know where we stand). I think for a healthy relationship speak at least once a week. :smile:

Thats the thing, we text each other daily, and when she stop replying or she replies with just one word answers, i just think i'm not worth a thoughtful reply.
Reply 3
iv not actually got one :frown:
i had one in primary but she moved schools and now we never speak :/ and shes turned in a man (gender identity related)
Reply 4
Does she ever stop replying completely or not text back for hours or reply with short messages, how does that make you feel?

If it doesnt bother you one bit. how can I get your way of thinking. I hate overthinking and stressing over something silly. :smile:
Everyday when in sixth form. Once a fortnight maybe in the holidays :dontknow:
Probably every day via text. She lives in another town so we don't see each other that often.
almost every day for the past five years :biggrin:
Wellbecause of Alevels once a week, in term time it was everyday
Reply 9
If your friend does not make the effort to speak to you or start conversations, they are not a good friend - I assume this is what your concern is?

I am going through something similar. A mate and I have a really good laugh whenever we're together but they never make an effort to talk outside of college and I got pretty fed up of starting the conversation always so now I no longer bother.
Dont have a best friend:redface:
We stay 200 miles away from each other but we text and snapchat every day and meet every few months. We sometimes go a day without texting due to exams, ill health or just if we are busy but generally we talk even just for a bit every day.
Original post by Inexorably
If your friend does not make the effort to speak to you or start conversations, they are not a good friend - I assume this is what your concern is?

I am going through something similar. A mate and I have a really good laugh whenever we're together but they never make an effort to talk outside of college and I got pretty fed up of starting the conversation always so now I no longer bother.

Exactly what I'm talking about, and they are always online too.

But deep down, do you know that your still friends?
I snapchat my one of my best friends everyday and we talk on the phone at least once a week. With my other, we talk once a fortnight at most but whenever we meet, it's like we never left each other (cheesy know)
You don't need to talk a lot otherwise it'll feel forced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Right now we talk everyday but this isn't a regular thing. We can go months without talking. I think it's only because we have been making plans more and I've kinda gone to him for advice more than usual.
Original post by bennyboyben
Exactly what I'm talking about, and they are always online too.

But deep down, do you know that your still friends?

With my approach to friendship, I wouldn't classify someone as a true friend unless they make the effort to speak to me and so on. Rn I do consider them a friend for now but as time goes on over summer it will be less and less and when we return to college they'll just be a classmate and nothing more.
I can't say I have a "best friend" just because there is like 6 people in my friendship group and we all get along really well together.
4 of my friends go to the same sixth form college as me so we don't text each other often because we see each other mostly everyday. As for my 2 other friends (1 doing apprenticeship, 1 in another college), we text each other every few weeks. It would be nice to talk to them more but we all do different things and it's hard to find the time.
Every day
Reply 18
Original post by bennyboyben
Thats the thing, we text each other daily, and when she stop replying or she replies with just one word answers, i just think i'm not worth a thoughtful reply.

I HAD ONE OF THOSE FRIENDS!!!!

So, we were friends for 5 years, and we had this huge fight, because I was like you! I never called him out on it until that day 5 years later. Turns out, he was harboring all this animosity towards me as well, but he was biting his tongue. He never wanted to talk about any issues we had, saying everything was okay, until one day, it just went nuclear, and all our friends had to pick sides. yeah---that bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
I talk to my best friend every day more or less (occasionally we miss a day because of ill health/exams/holidays or whatever. She lives in a different country though so we can't really meet up so we just message and snapchat

Latest

Trending

Trending