The Student Room Group

Postgrad or gap year? HELP

I am currently extremely undecided between taking a gap year or going for a post grad entry to dentistry.
I got reject from both Glasgow and Dundee without an interview but got a place for pharmacy at both RGU and Strathclyde. I am also interested in Pharmacy but obviously Dentistry is my main goal.
Academic result, Higher - A in chemistry, biology, maths and physics and B in english, currently sitting advanced higher chemistry, biology, higher psychology and geography, and my Ukcat result was 2470.
So my question is, in my position does it seem like a better idea to take a gap year (dental work experience and hopefully a higher Ukcat score) and reapply for dentistry, or finish pharmacy and then apply to dentistry as a graduate.
Thanks for any advice :smile:
I don't see why you would want to persue Pharmacy if your dream/main goal is Dentistry. A gap year will let you gain life experience that universities often look for. I personally would take a year out, get XP and level up, then reapply. I say this as why spend time studying your second option, when your first option might just need more life experience and field work in a gap year before doing the course.
That is of course only the way I see it. Your results speak for themselves, but that isn't the only thing universities take into account. I left school in 2011 with one higher at a D, now after a few years and a year at college to get my NC level 6, I'm starting uni in Sept. I waited, I did the gap year, I went back to school, and honestly, I don't regret it one bit. I needed the life XP to show that I'm capable of juggling a student and adult life, without worries. If I had the chance to do it again, I'd do it the same way, because I know I'm cabaple and ready to do such a big move, from a small town to a massive city. :smile: I hope this helps in your decision. Good luck with everything, no matter what you decide to do, I'm sure you'll rock it! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by KLouSmart
I don't see why you would want to persue Pharmacy if your dream/main goal is Dentistry. A gap year will let you gain life experience that universities often look for. I personally would take a year out, get XP and level up, then reapply. I say this as why spend time studying your second option, when your first option might just need more life experience and field work in a gap year before doing the course.
That is of course only the way I see it. Your results speak for themselves, but that isn't the only thing universities take into account. I left school in 2011 with one higher at a D, now after a few years and a year at college to get my NC level 6, I'm starting uni in Sept. I waited, I did the gap year, I went back to school, and honestly, I don't regret it one bit. I needed the life XP to show that I'm capable of juggling a student and adult life, without worries. If I had the chance to do it again, I'd do it the same way, because I know I'm cabaple and ready to do such a big move, from a small town to a massive city. :smile: I hope this helps in your decision. Good luck with everything, no matter what you decide to do, I'm sure you'll rock it! :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah what you have said is also a pulling factor for a gap year, and also the fact that potentially i'll get into dentistry after 1 year rather than 4/5. But when i think about it if i don't get a place after a year out, i'd imagine it would feel like a massive waste of my time where instead i could be finishing first year of pharmacy! and due to the massive competition it is still highly possible to be rejected again.
Again thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by AliHashemi
Thanks for the reply! Yeah what you have said is also a pulling factor for a gap year, and also the fact that potentially i'll get into dentistry after 1 year rather than 4/5. But when i think about it if i don't get a place after a year out, i'd imagine it would feel like a massive waste of my time where instead i could be finishing first year of pharmacy! and due to the massive competition it is still highly possible to be rejected again.
Again thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it :smile:

If it is for you, it won't go past you as my mum would say. I think taking a gap year and getting your experience will really make you stand out from the crowd for when you apply, especially if some of the applicants are younger, I don't know what age people apply to dentistry school, I just assume 17/18, if you are a year older, and you have more life experience, it will certainly help put you into the top pool I would imagine, especially if you write a great personal statement when UCAS inevitably ask you to write one, you can't go wrong. Especially if you plan to use your gap year correctly, which it sounds like you are. :smile:

Ignore the bit about the 17/18 comment, cus I totally misread postgrad! :P It's been a long day haha!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
If it is for you, it won't go past you as my mum would say. I think taking a gap year and getting your experience will really make you stand out from the crowd for when you apply, especially if some of the applicants are younger, I don't know what age people apply to dentistry school, I just assume 17/18, if you are a year older, and you have more life experience, it will certainly help put you into the top pool I would imagine, especially if you write a great personal statement when UCAS inevitably ask you to write one, you can't go wrong. Especially if you plan to use your gap year correctly, which it sounds like you are. :smile:

Oh i suppose you're right! I guess extra work experience and (hopefully) a higher Ukcat score can never go wrong, and an early start to my personal statement will help make it as good as it can get!
Thank you for helping! I'll definitely keep what you said in mind for when i make my final decision! :smile:
Oh i suppose you're right! I guess extra work experience and (hopefully) a higher Ukcat score can never go wrong, and an early start to my personal statement will help make it as good as it can get!
Thank you for helping! I'll definitely keep what you said in mind for when i make my final decision! :smile:

Exactly, you seem to have the right mindset to do this, and honestly an early start on your personal statement is good, just don't continually read over it once you write it, that my friend is a road to torture and constant editing! Write it, spell check/grammar/punctuate it, make sure it fits in the UCAS box, save, and forget about it until upload time. I would write it a month before submitting, that way you won't have to continually add your achievements as you do them, again leading to the road of torture and editing lol. Also make sure you have a good reference, someone who sees your potential within the field, if you plan on doing work experience, make yourself naturally shine (please forgive that unplanned dental pun, I didn't plan that to happen haha) then ask your boss from your work experience to write a dazzling reference (ok that pun I planned! :P I'll stop now)
Life experience, work experience, determination, a great personal statement and a great reference would be your goals to summarise my above novel! :smile: You've got this!
Reply 6
Exactly, you seem to have the right mindset to do this, and honestly an early start on your personal statement is good, just don't continually read over it once you write it, that my friend is a road to torture and constant editing! Write it, spell check/grammar/punctuate it, make sure it fits in the UCAS box, save, and forget about it until upload time. I would write it a month before submitting, that way you won't have to continually add your achievements as you do them, again leading to the road of torture and editing lol. Also make sure you have a good reference, someone who sees your potential within the field, if you plan on doing work experience, make yourself naturally shine (please forgive that unplanned dental pun, I didn't plan that to happen haha) then ask your boss from your work experience to write a dazzling reference (ok that pun I planned! :P I'll stop now)
Life experience, work experience, determination, a great personal statement and a great reference would be your goals to summarise my above novel! :smile: You've got this!

Hahaha couldn't imagine anything worse than continually reading over it!! I guess a pun here or there isn't too bad :wink:, my reference first time round was my guidance teacher at school, but someone at a clinic would surely make me stand out from other applicants.
Again thanks so much for your help!!! :biggrin:
Hahaha couldn't imagine anything worse than continually reading over it!! I guess a pun here or there isn't too bad :wink:, my reference first time round was my guidance teacher at school, but someone at a clinic would surely make me stand out from other applicants.
Again thanks so much for your help!!! :biggrin:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates the puns :smile:
No problem at all! Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will all work out! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates the puns :smile:
No problem at all! Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will all work out! :biggrin:

Haha thank you! Hope everything goes as you plan in the future!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest