The Student Room Group

People that took a gap year before university

1. What did you do in the year?
2. How did it help your application?
3. Do unis accept a deferred entry?
4. Why would you/would not recommend it?
5. Any advice?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by tandoori potatoe
5. Ant advice?

I think we need an FAQ section for this.

When I did my gap year (between undergrad and postgrad), I spent most of the year earning money because uni wasn't cheap. Looking back I kind of wished that I did something different.

No, because I didn't do anything related to what I was studying. Having said that, I didn't need to do anything specific for the degree.

Yes, but it will annoy a number of universities to my knowledge. If you deferred entry at a top end university in a competitive course, it's likely you will lose you place to my understanding. Having said that, I do not work in uni administration, so I can't say. It will also depend on the individual university and the person who decides on your application. You might want to get a second opinion on this.

I recommend the gap year if you don't know what you want to do for your undergrad. You would need to do some soul searching to see if uni is right for you, and whether you really want to do the degree. A number of students who go into uni do it because:

It's what everybody is doing

Think they will get better job prospects because of it

Want to do something related to the degree even if it's not required for the field that they want to get into

Have a sense of accomplishment

Party for another 3 years before going into the world of work

Most of the reasons listed so far are the wrong reasons to get into uni and wouldn't help you in the long run.
Those who do a degree for the sake of it end up hating their degree by the time they get into their third year.

I recommend it for your postgrad if it's particularly expensive and you need financial assistance with the debt you have accumulated from your undergrad. You would also need to be sure if doing a postgrad in the subject is something you really want to do, since most of the jobs that postgrad allows you to get into tend to either for something completely different to your undergrad, something a lot more senior, or something academic.

5. Any advice?
I have a long list of things that I kind of wished I did during my gap year. These included:

Go and work/volunteer in the sector that you want to later get a job in after your degree

Get a qualification that would help with getting higher paying work beyond minimum wage (irrespective of whether it's related to your chosen career or not) or helps you further supplement your ability to get the job you want after your degree

Do extra A Levels

Write (book, play, novel, whatever)

Vlog your experiences - travel maybe?

Travel abroad (allowing for Covid restrictions)

Start a side business - check to see if your university would allow you to continue running your business during uni

Learn a language - particularly consider language immersion courses where you travel as well as learn

Travel abroad to volunteer (consider saving up £2k to do this)

Work abroad e.g. hospitality, construction, translation, etc.

See relatives and extended families

Anything on your bucket list

Go on an experience day

Pick up new skills - especially if it brings in a lot of income and is in high demand for the next 5-10 years

Paint/anything arty (especially if you need a portfolio of some sort)

Compose music

Go on a day experience - see Virgin, Red Letter Days, etc.

Take etiquette lessons - it's rare to see someone do this

Design a game, website, app, whatever IT related (especially if you need a portfolio of some sort)

Create a course

Learn to dance (in whatever style you want)

Eat particular types of foods (or a food bucket list) from all parts of the world

Learn to cook

Learn to sell and market

Learn how to get a job

Read certain books in literature and nonfiction that are highly prized/considered classics

Watch movies that are acclaimed and are in the top 100

Try to help turn a homeless person's life around (through a charity - it can be dangerous)

Volunteer at a theatre

Work on a cruiseliner (won't be able to leave the ship for X months, but you get quite a bit of money - don't waste it all)

Volunteer at the university that you want to study at as a research assistant

Become a life coach

Make a low budget film

Learn a sport

Learn public speaking

Learn data science/analysis

Learn an instrument - not necessarily master it; that will take years

Become the fittest that you ever been (not thinnest) - at least clean up your diet

Grow your own food - e.g. allotment if you don't have the space in your garden

Build a shed

Assemble a computer

Tutor people

Do X for charity e.g. marathon, cycle, walk, whatever

Make your own wine/cheese

Learn to manage your finances and investments

Confront any fears that you might have

Qualifications that you can look into getting:

Personal trainer qualifications

Sports coaching - I had friends who have certificates for football, basketball, etc. You will need to be at least level 2 in order to coach in a sport

Professional IT certificates

Start your professional accounting qualification (depending on the accounting body, you might get a standalone qualification after completing X number of papers) e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ACA; consider AAT Level 3 if you are not going to do an accounting degree or want a full on accounting qualification yet

SCAE, tea sommelier, cheese connoiseur, wine sommelier, beer sommelier/cicerone, sake sommelier, whiskey amabasador, mixology - anything else related to drinking and food

Chef qualification from a brand name institution e.g. Cordon Bleu

CILEx for law at Level 3

Marketing e.g. IDM, CIM, IPA at Level 3

CIPD Level 3 for HR

Licenses - fancy driving a motorcycle, lorry, forklift, bus?

Finance related qualifications e.g. Anything by CII, CISI, LIBF, CeMap up to level 4

Bartending certificates - some bartending schools will allow you to work with them upon completing their course e.g. European Bartending School (which also has bars across the world)

Something related to health and wellbeing e.g. reflexology

Anything in construction and trades at your local adult college (you should be able to start at Level 3)

Language Certificates - recognised by the country they originate from e.g. DALF or Frantastique if you have already done A Level French

Counselling Level 3

Having said that, a gap year only lasts for a year and you have the rest of your life to live, so I would have narrowed it down to 2-3 things.

If you're particularly set on a specific career path, then it would make a lot of sense to go on an internship or get some sort of job related to the role you want, especially if it's really competitive. For example, spend more time working in hospitals if you want to become a doctor, spend more time working in a vet practice if you want to become a vet, work as a junior bookkeeper at an accounting practice, work as a research asssitant in academia, or spend time working in investment banking if you want to later work there.
Original post by MindMax2000

When I did my gap year (between undergrad and postgrad), I spent most of the year earning money because uni wasn't cheap. Looking back I kind of wished that I did something different.

No, because I didn't do anything related to what I was studying. Having said that, I didn't need to do anything specific for the degree.

Yes, but it will annoy a number of universities to my knowledge. If you deferred entry at a top end university in a competitive course, it's likely you will lose you place to my understanding. Having said that, I do not work in uni administration, so I can't say. It will also depend on the individual university and the person who decides on your application. You might want to get a second opinion on this.

I recommend the gap year if you don't know what you want to do for your undergrad. You would need to do some soul searching to see if uni is right for you, and whether you really want to do the degree. A number of students who go into uni do it because:

Want to do something related to the degree even if it's not required for the field that they want to get into

Most of the reasons listed so far are the wrong reasons to get into uni and wouldn't help you in the long run.
Those who do a degree for the sake of it end up hating their degree by the time they get into their third year.

I recommend it for your postgrad if it's particularly expensive and you need financial assistance with the debt you have accumulated from your undergrad. You would also need to be sure if doing a postgrad in the subject is something you really want to do, since most of the jobs that postgrad allows you to get into tend to either for something completely different to your undergrad, something a lot more senior, or something academic.

5. Any advice?
I have a long list of things that I kind of wished I did during my gap year. These included:

Go and work/volunteer in the sector that you want to later get a job in after your degree

Get a qualification that would help with getting higher paying work beyond minimum wage (irrespective of whether it's related to your chosen career or not) or helps you further supplement your ability to get the job you want after your degree

Do extra A Levels

Start a side business - check to see if your university would allow you to continue running your business during uni

Learn a language - particularly consider language immersion courses where you travel as well as learn

Go on an experience day

Pick up new skills - especially if it brings in a lot of income and is in high demand for the next 5-10 years

Compose music

Design a game, website, app, whatever IT related (especially if you need a portfolio of some sort)

Create a course

Eat particular types of foods (or a food bucket list) from all parts of the world

Learn to cook

Learn to sell and market

Learn how to get a job

Read certain books in literature and nonfiction that are highly prized/considered classics

Try to help turn a homeless person's life around (through a charity - it can be dangerous)

Volunteer at a theatre

Work on a cruiseliner (won't be able to leave the ship for X months, but you get quite a bit of money - don't waste it all)

Become a life coach

Make a low budget film

Learn a sport

Learn public speaking

Become the fittest that you ever been (not thinnest) - at least clean up your diet

Build a shed

Assemble a computer

Tutor people

Sports coaching - I had friends who have certificates for football, basketball, etc. You will need to be at least level 2 in order to coach in a sport

Start your professional accounting qualification (depending on the accounting body, you might get a standalone qualification after completing X number of papers) e.g. ACCA, CIMA, ACA; consider AAT Level 3 if you are not going to do an accounting degree or want a full on accounting qualification yet

SCAE, tea sommelier, cheese connoiseur, wine sommelier, beer sommelier/cicerone, sake sommelier, whiskey amabasador, mixology - anything else related to drinking and food

CILEx for law at Level 3

CIPD Level 3 for HR

Finance related qualifications e.g. Anything by CII, CISI, LIBF, CeMap up to level 4

Bartending certificates - some bartending schools will allow you to work with them upon completing their course e.g. European Bartending School (which also has bars across the world)

Anything in construction and trades at your local adult college (you should be able to start at Level 3)

Language Certificates - recognised by the country they originate from e.g. DALF or Frantastique if you have already done A Level French

Counselling Level 3

Having said that, a gap year only lasts for a year and you have the rest of your life to live, so I would have narrowed it down to 2-3 things.

If you're particularly set on a specific career path, then it would make a lot of sense to go on an internship or get some sort of job related to the role you want, especially if it's really competitive. For example, spend more time working in hospitals if you want to become a doctor, spend more time working in a vet practice if you want to become a vet, work as a junior bookkeeper at an accounting practice, work as a research asssitant in academia, or spend time working in investment banking if you want to later work there.

Thank you so so much!!
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

5. Any advice?

Do extra A Levels

Go on an experience day

Compose music

Create a course

Learn to cook

Learn to sell and market

Learn how to get a job

Volunteer at a theatre

Become a life coach

Make a low budget film

Learn a sport

Learn public speaking

Build a shed

Assemble a computer

Tutor people

CILEx for law at Level 3

CIPD Level 3 for HR

Counselling Level 3

which subject are u studying for post grad?
Original post by Aqila Chan
which subject are u studying for post grad?

I studied economics and finance related subjects.

However, I am going back to do an undergrad now.

Quick Reply

Latest