The Student Room Group

Difference between GCSE and A Level Maths?

I am currently in Year 11 taking my GCSE exams, and want to take A level Maths and Further Maths as some of my options when I go to college next year, in an accelerated course doing the full A Level Maths in my first year and the full A level Further Maths in the second year. I am quite good at Maths and receive full marks on my maths GCSE mocks throughout the year, is the workload bearable to complete the courses in one year each, also is the step up large from GCSE to A level maths, and the step up between Maths and Further Maths at A level difficult as well?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NyallJ
I am currently in Year 11 taking my GCSE exams, and want to take A level Maths and Further Maths as some of my options when I go to college next year, in an accelerated course doing the full A Level Maths in my first year and the full A level Further Maths in the second year. I am quite good at Maths and receive full marks on my maths GCSE mocks throughout the year, is the workload bearable to complete the courses in one year each, also is the step up large from GCSE to A level maths, and the step up between Maths and Further Maths at A level difficult as well?

I chose not to do further maths but as far as i'm aware it is quite tough. The step up from GCSE maths to A level maths will probably not be tough for you if you are getting full marks in GCSE's. The C1 module is super easy and the other two are not too bad either.

The way your doing it is quite interesting. Are you doing 5 subjects in those two years or just 4 with maths and further maths alternating?
Reply 2
Original post by Dowel
I chose not to do further maths but as far as i'm aware it is quite tough. The step up from GCSE maths to A level maths will probably not be tough for you if you are getting full marks in GCSE's. The C1 module is super easy and the other two are not too bad either.

The way your doing it is quite interesting. Are you doing 5 subjects in those two years or just 4 with maths and further maths alternating?

Thank you for the reply, at the college that I am intending to go I would be doing 4 A levels in total with maths and further maths will be alternating, I wish to do Physics and Chemistry along side them, but I don't know whether it would be better to do my A levels the way that I have mentioned or choose not to do further maths in case the workload is too much and would effect my other grades
Reply 3
Original post by NyallJ
Thank you for the reply, at the college that I am intending to go I would be doing 4 A levels in total with maths and further maths will be alternating, I wish to do Physics and Chemistry along side them, but I don't know whether it would be better to do my A levels the way that I have mentioned or choose not to do further maths in case the workload is too much and would effect my other grades

I know plenty of people doing those 4 subjects and they definitely didn't get full marks in GCSE papers :P.
The alternating will probably make it easier for you as you are balancing difficult modules with easy modules and you have to a level lesson slots to do 1 subject each year. Doing all of FM in one year might be tricky as I believe there is a lot of stuff to learn but again I think you can handle it.

Of course you could do something else instead of further maths (maybe two things) because the other subjects tend to be a lot easier :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NyallJ

Hi I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics next year too!

I've been looking at A level past papers to see what it is like...
This is AQA C1 which is apparently the easiest unit.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC1-P-QP-JUN15.PDF

This is further maths
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP1-P-QP-JUN15.PDF
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by NyallJ

Not hard at all. The real question you need to ask yourself is whether you're prepared to put aside 1 hour a day, 5 days a week from September - May to study Maths. If you do that you'll be laughing come results day. Maths, Further Maths, Physics subjects such as those, it's not a battle to see how intelligent you are, the real challenge is how SELF DISCIPLINED you are!

If you are more self disciplined than me, you won't need to be doing maths for about 9 hours a day just to catch up on modules, you've missed.
Reply 6
Original post by Dowel
I know plenty of people doing those 4 subjects and they definitely didn't get full marks in GCSE papers :P.
The alternating will probably make it easier for you as you are balancing difficult modules with easy modules and you have to a level lesson slots to do 1 subject each year. Doing all of FM in one year might be tricky as I believe there is a lot of stuff to learn but again I think you can handle it.

Of course you could do something else instead of further maths (maybe two things) because the other subjects tend to be a lot easier :smile:

Yeah I was thinking about that for further maths but I'm unsure whether it would be too tricky but it would be probably most relevant for courses I may take after college
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi I'm doing chemistry, maths and physics next year too!

I've been looking at A level past papers to see what it is like...
This is AQA C1 which is apparently the easiest unit.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC1-P-QP-JUN15.PDF

This is further maths
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP1-P-QP-JUN15.PDF

Alright, thanks for the links!
Reply 8
Original post by Naruke
Not hard at all. The real question you need to ask yourself is whether you're prepared to put aside 1 hour a day, 5 days a week from September - May to study Maths. If you do that you'll be laughing come results day. Maths, Further Maths, Physics subjects such as those, it's not a battle to see how intelligent you are, the real challenge is how SELF DISCIPLINED you are!

If you are more self disciplined than me, you won't need to be doing maths for about 9 hours a day just to catch up on modules, you've missed.

Yeah thanks that helps that, I will certainly be putting the effort in once that I start my A levels, but is it actually bearable to complete the full A level maths in just one year? And the same for further maths?
Reply 9
Original post by NyallJ
Yeah I was thinking about that for further maths but I'm unsure whether it would be too tricky but it would be probably most relevant for courses I may take after college

I would do all 4 then.
If you're taking Physics, it should help you with Maths as it covers the same topics in mechanics
hmm...C1 looks surprisingly do-able
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

it is basically gcse. if you've done the further maths gcse as well, it's really easy. We got through it in just a few weeks.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

Are you doing GCSEs atm,
Original post by NyallJ
Alright, thanks for the links!

No problem do you think it looks hard or not bad
Yeah C1 is pretty easy but how many lessons would you be having a week? I'm in my school's fast track so I did my GCSE last year and doing my AS now in year 11 and we only have 3 lessons a week. Next year we're doing A2 with 4 lessons at weeks to that will be comparatively relaxed but then in year 13, doing all further maths in one year.
Reply 16
Original post by NyallJ
Yeah thanks that helps that, I will certainly be putting the effort in once that I start my A levels, but is it actually bearable to complete the full A level maths in just one year? And the same for further maths?

@Princepieman did A level maths and A level Further Maths in the same year, so yes.
Original post by Naruke
@Princepieman did A level maths and A level Further Maths in the same year, so yes.

Yep, so did Zacken :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman

For the OP, was it difficult?

Was the workload hard to manage?

Did it impact on your sex life?

I think those are the main questions the OP would like to know
Reply 19
I should be doing maths further maths physics and chemistry next year, but not alternating maths and further maths. You should be fine, seeing as you get 100% in tests :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending