The Student Room Group

A level Physics: How difficult?

I've picked A-level physics for my course next year and lots of people say 'oooh, it's so difficult, blah blah. Do something you're good at etc'.

So, in all honesty, how difficult is A level Physics? Is it a real brain overload?
Could you give details on how to prepare for it?

Scroll to see replies

It is very mentally challenging, however very rewarding and interesting once you can get your head around the content
Original post by iMacJack
It is very mentally challenging, however very rewarding and interesting once you can get your head around the content

What about the mechanics bit, what kind of maths does that fall into?
Is it vectors and stuff?
Original post by CorpusLuteum
I've picked A-level physics for my course next year and lots of people say 'oooh, it's so difficult, blah blah. Do something you're good at etc'.

So, in all honesty, how difficult is A level Physics? Is it a real brain overload?
Could you give details on how to prepare for it?

It will consume your soul.
Original post by Someboady
It will consume your soul.

Aaaah!
What about the mechanics bit, what kind of maths does that fall into?
Is it vectors and stuff?

Most likely things you will not have of covered before - some bits you will have though, such as kinetic energy etc. Some vectors but not in the way you'll have really done them at GCSE
Aaaah!

You'll be doing the new A-level. Personally I find the new one harder than the old one and I'm sure other AS students will tell you the same. Much of it is Maths.. I'd say about 75% is maths based on theory and 25% is knowledge.
Most likely things you will not have of covered before - some bits you will have though, such as kinetic energy etc. Some vectors but not in the way you'll have really done them at GCSE

so do you reckon if I get a B or below in Science overall, will it be more challenging?
You'll be doing the new A-level. Personally I find the new one harder than the old one and I'm sure other AS students will tell you the same. Much of it is Maths.. I'd say about 75% is maths based on theory and 25% is knowledge.

Oh no.
I'm not very good at maths.
Oh no.
I'm not very good at maths.

Well from my year I would generally say people who got less than a B in maths at GCSE will struggle (but thats my opinion). Mechanics is a section in Physics and i know it was difficult for some to get their head around the concepts. Maths is absolutely key for physics. Best work on your maths skills asap :smile:
so do you reckon if I get a B or below in Science overall, will it be more challenging?

Yeah but that's not to say it's not possible
I love a level physics and I don't find it hugely challenging. What I think helps me is doing maths as well with mechanics modules (I don't know if you're planning on doing maths too, and if your school does m1?) because we've been basically taught mechanics twice :biggrin:
Well from my year I would generally say people who got less than a B in maths at GCSE will struggle (but thats my opinion). Mechanics is a section in Physics and i know it was difficult for some to get their head around the concepts. Maths is absolutely key for physics. Best work on your maths skills asap :smile:

One thing is that at school it's annoying they dont teach us all aspects of a maths topic, they've got this thing where they're like 'you don't need to know this its only for a level' then it bloody decides to make an appearance in an exam.
D:

Yeah but that's not to say it's not possible

Thanks. D:
Original post by ifyouseelaura
I love a level physics and I don't find it hugely challenging. What I think helps me is doing maths as well with mechanics modules (I don't know if you're planning on doing maths too, and if your school does m1?) because we've been basically taught mechanics twice :biggrin:

Yeah I plan to take Maths with a mechanics module too. My teacher said it would be a good option to go for with physics as well. :P
One thing is that at school it's annoying they dont teach us all aspects of a maths topic, they've got this thing where they're like 'you don't need to know this its only for a level' then it bloody decides to make an appearance in an exam.
D:

This wasn't a problem for me because I'd already learnt A-level Maths. My advice for this (assuming you are still taking maths exams) is to learn the first few chapters of Core 1. Core 1 is a simple progression from GCSE to A-level maths. Also, though I didn't do this myself but you can get hold of a specification for Maths. That way you'll know what will/won't come up. Also NEVER trust your teachers :smile:
This wasn't a problem for me because I'd already learnt A-level Maths. My advice for this (assuming you are still taking maths exams) is to learn the first few chapters of Core 1. Core 1 is a simple progression from GCSE to A-level maths. Also, though I didn't do this myself but you can get hold of a specification for Maths. That way you'll know what will/won't come up. Also NEVER trust your teachers :smile:

Hahaha, Thank you.

I plan to start learning core after my exams because they're all next week up until the end of june so yeah.
Where do I get a hold of the specification?
Hahaha, Thank you.

I plan to start learning core after my exams because they're all next week up until the end of june so yeah.
Where do I get a hold of the specification?

Fair enough dude. Just get as good a grade as you can at GCSE. :smile:
Just google "[your examboard] + GCSE Maths Specification]"
It'll likely be long and if you consider it some form of a checklist you can ensure you know it all. Rest assured, most of the topics you learn at GCSE won't actually be topics at A-level though skills will be applied :smile:
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem. I find Physics harder than Further Maths in my opinion.
In comparison to GCSE it's a lot harder. At GCSE, I did Physics with AQA, and I got an A* quite easily, with little revision before our exams. This year I'm doing OCR Physics A-level, and it's a lot harder, for sure.
While there are a few topics, like kinetic energy, terminal velocity etc, that are pulled from GCSE, the content in AS is really designed to test your knowledge and understanding of the foundations of physics. Just because I call it foundations of physics, dosen't mean it's easy, you really need to know, and practice your physics throughout the year before the exam.
If you think you'd enjoy Physics, or are planning to do M1/more mechanics modules with maths, or you need Physics for later plans, give it a go, you could always drop it after AS.
Good luck
Insanely. Went from an A* at GCSE to an E at AS (got a U in one module and D in the other). good luck!
You also need to be strong at maths, and with the new specifications, problem solving. Often instead of regurgitating material, especially in the new spec, they want you to use your theoretical knowledge of Physics to answer mathematical questions for example. In my exam, there was a very tough density question, that very few people got, in which you had to use your knowledge of Archimedes principle, in order to solve the mathematical problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending