The Student Room Group

IB or a levels?

Hello, I had a look at the ib past papers they seem quite easy to be honest especially the maths higher level and I'm currently doing GCSE last year!
My GCSE predictions:
Russian-A*
Maths- A*
Double science -BB or AB
History-C
English literature -C
RS- C or B
French-C
English language-C
Art-C
Computer studies-pass
Music -D

I was thinking of doing at ibdp:
Higher level: maths, biology and chemistry
Standard level: world religion, English and Mandarin Chinese

Or a level: maths, biology and chemistry

I personally like the idea of IB more as it gives you a more broad view of everything. I also want to become a marine biologist in future do you think that my choice of ib is good and are the subjects appropriate?

As well as if you are all wondering why hasn't he taken higher level English that's because English is not my first or second language, it's my third language after Latvian and Russian which are completely different.
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd prefer IB!
Do take computer studies tho x)
cuz it'll have a role in marine sciences in future i guess! x)
Original post by Aimen.
I'd prefer IB!

I don't like computers at all though:frown:(
Original post by Aimen.
I'd prefer IB!

As well as I wouldn't be able to take chemistry then which I need
Reply 4
Original post by Kaimich17.11
As well as I wouldn't be able to take chemistry then which I need

Umm yea true that, I did IAL biology, chem and phy this year and chem is pretty love :smokin:
Original post by Aimen.
Umm yea true that, I did IAL biology, chem and phy this year and chem is pretty love :smokin:

I bet it is, is it a lot maths based? Also what college you go to and what other subjects you taken?
Reply 6
I bet it is, is it a lot maths based? Also what college you go to and what other subjects you taken?

I finished high school this year tho and I'm not sure about uni tho :/
I took just three (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) cuz that's all we need in here!
It isn't much maths based (It's totally different!)
Original post by Aimen.
I finished high school this year tho and I'm not sure about uni tho :/
I took just three (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) cuz that's all we need in here!
It isn't much maths based (It's totally different!)

You only taken 3? I need 6 lol
about 1/3 my 6th form do IB and the rest do a levels - I wouldn't go anywhere near IB from what I've seen - seems much more stressful doing 6 subjects rather than the standard 3/4 and all the extended extra stuff :|
Plus they had all their exams crammed so close with different papers of the same subjects on the same day
A level is bad enough but IB looks tonnes worse
Reply 9
You only taken 3? I need 6 lol

owww :/
Original post by tcameron
about 1/3 my 6th form do IB and the rest do a levels - I wouldn't go anywhere near IB from what I've seen - seems much more stressful doing 6 subjects rather than the standard 3/4 and all the extended extra stuff :|
Plus they had all their exams crammed so close with different papers of the same subjects on the same day
A level is bad enough but IB looks tonnes worse

What subjects you do at a level?
What subjects you do at a level?

Chemistry, biology, geography - maths at AS
Chemistry, biology, geography - maths at AS

Which one you find most interesting? Also does gerography involve a lot of people things? Because I hate that haha
Which one you find most interesting? Also does gerography involve a lot of people things? Because I hate that haha

chemistry is most interesting, but I guess most would say biology
well yeah it does, there isn't really a distinction of human and physical geography at A2
chemistry is most interesting, but I guess most would say biology
well yeah it does, there isn't really a distinction of human and physical geography at A2

Does chemistry involve a lot of maths mainly? Because I would love that
Does chemistry involve a lot of maths mainly? Because I would love that

not really, there is a little bit but I don't think anything past gcse standard - it isn't stuff like sums
but they have changed the a level specification now so it may contain more maths
not really, there is a little bit but I don't think anything past gcse standard - it isn't stuff like sums
but they have changed the a level specification now so it may contain more maths

So is there a lot of memorisation like GCSE again basically?
So is there a lot of memorisation like GCSE again basically?

haha no chemistry gets very difficult at A level - mainly all application, especially at A2
It's classed as one of the most difficult subjects - definitely becomes a burden at A level
I'm saying this and got an A* at gcse chemistry
Don't let that put you off though but it is really hard :/ The most difficult of all my subjects anyways
Reply 18
Having watched friends go through the IB, I'm so glad I don't do it.
There's so much more to learn and you have to take subjects which you may not be strong in.
On top of the exams, there's internal assessments, extended essays, TOK and CAS. If you go to a college with loads of students and not much individual help, this will be so much more difficult. But if you get lots of teacher support it is manageable.
It's so much more time consuming than A Levels, and not respected any more or less and won't really have an impact on career prospects.
A lot of focus is apparently put on memorisation in IB too, rather than understanding and evaluating, so consider if memory is a strength of yours.
The only good thing about it that I've seen is that the IB students at school were like a little family, and also the exams finish so much earlier! You get over 5 months summer! But tbh I don't think thats worth it.
haha no chemistry gets very difficult at A level - mainly all application, especially at A2
It's classed as one of the most difficult subjects - definitely becomes a burden at A level
I'm saying this and got an A* at gcse chemistry
Don't let that put you off though but it is really hard :/ The most difficult of all my subjects anyways

What are the hard things in chemistry a level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending