The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by AA11AAA
Do you know what you need to get in the exam for A* overall

Minimum would probably be a high A(around 2 or 3 marks off an A*)
Original post by mariah2011
I hated it!!!!

If i got a G or and E in my exam and strong B in my CW what will i get?? I panicked and left so many answers blank. so far i havent even found 1 I've done right thats how bad i did

If you got a middle E ish, you'll get a C
Original post by Blueee29
out of sheer curiosity, are any of you doing computer science or something as an A-Level?
t

Me :smile:
Reply 123
What mark would you need in the exam?
Original post by PCB
Minimum would probably be a high A(around 2 or 3 marks off an A*)
Got 44/45 on programming
Got 45/45 on practical

Made silly mistakes on exam and lost about 6-8 marks. + a couple more. Will I get A*? Also whats the most mark I can lose and still get A*?
Original post by BadgerNeer1
Got 44/45 on programming
Got 45/45 on practical

Made silly mistakes on exam and lost about 6-8 marks. + a couple more. Will I get A*? Also whats the most mark I can lose and still get A*?

with those scores you only need a low A/high B to get A*, exact number of marks you can lose depends on the grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blueee29
out of sheer curiosity, are any of you doing computer science or something as an A-Level?

heck no
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
with those scores you only need a low A/high B to get A*, exact number of marks you can lose depends on the grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

from 2011-2013, the grade boundaries were close to each other at about 72/80 whilst from 2014-15 it remained at about 60/80 for an A*. does that mean this year it's expected to remain close to 60 (maybe 4-5 marks up or down)????
Original post by jay1212
Does anyone know if answering the last question in the form of a flowchart would be correct?

my class went over a past paper a couple days ago that did accept flowcharts in the markscheme, but i cant be certain that the same will be be case this year.
(personally, i did both - i find flowcharts easier but i was unsure as to whether itd be accepted so i half-arsed a pseudocode answer too)
Was really disappointed with that exam. I got an A in my coursework overall (just chatting in lesson) but wasn't worried because we had done about 2/3 past papers and I easily got A* on all of them without revising.
So I thought with revision I could get near full marks and bump myself easily into an A*... nope
It was really that IDE question that lost me the marks. I may have got 1 or 2 marks by guessing but I probably dropped almost all 8 for those Qs. I don't remember learning it.
The rest of the exam was ok although I felt like they changed the formatting somewhat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kirigiri
my class went over a past paper a couple days ago that did accept flowcharts in the markscheme, but i cant be certain that the same will be be case this year.
(personally, i did both - i find flowcharts easier but i was unsure as to whether itd be accepted so i half-arsed a pseudocode answer too)

I did mine as a flowchart, our teacher told us it didn't matter which we used. Although it may seem a bit childish to the marker...
Original post by harry9s
I did mine as a flowchart, our teacher told us it didn't matter which we used. Although it may seem a bit childish to the marker...

I think if it specifies to do a certain language or algorithm then you should do the one that they say, because it's like asking us to complete the square in maths but you do a different method instead. But if they didn't specify you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A* In Coursework
A in last mock (1 off A* :frown: )

Found this test interesting, I revised all the harder topics, Logic Gates, Hex addition/conversions, Pixel stuff (bit depth etc)

The majority of the questions were logical and didn't require that much thinking, although I got a little stumped on the ethical reasons when it came to the website, the obvious legal reasons for children and data protection, but ethics surrounding the sharing of data seemed a little strange.

Favorite question was the last 6 marker, been working on some Linux CLI stuff recently and have been creating some stuff in Python using arrays, so I was in my element really.
numberin = input("What number do you want?":wink:
if player in numbers(numberin)= ""
OUTPUT("Number Saved":wink:
player in numbers(numberin) = "A"
if player in numbers(numberin) = "A","B","C"
OUTPUT("Number Taken":wink:

if player in numbers(1,100) = ""
count = count +1
OUTPUT count + "numbers remaining"END
Thats a rough roundup of what I did, although the one I created made more sense, I cant really think about the specifications for it again.

You can see from my code that I already assumed the array had been created, this may have been a mistake.

I also thought they confused some people with the selected player as "A" for this script, as obviously in a real world scenario the script wouldn't have a constant variable for the player.
For the question on interpreters/compliers i think you had to say something about it going line by line through the code and checking for errors (for interpreters) Whereas a compiler just compiles it into an executable file into machine instructions such as binary. Not too sure if i'm not 100% sure it that's right. But i think ill at least get 2 out of 4.
Original post by CyberJake
A* In Coursework
A in last mock (1 off A* :frown: )

Found this test interesting, I revised all the harder topics, Logic Gates, Hex addition/conversions, Pixel stuff (bit depth etc)

The majority of the questions were logical and didn't require that much thinking, although I got a little stumped on the ethical reasons when it came to the website, the obvious legal reasons for children and data protection, but ethics surrounding the sharing of data seemed a little strange.

Favorite question was the last 6 marker, been working on some Linux CLI stuff recently and have been creating some stuff in Python using arrays, so I was in my element really.
numberin = input("What number do you want?":wink:
if player in numbers(numberin)= ""
OUTPUT("Number Saved":wink:
player in numbers(numberin) = "A"
if player in numbers(numberin) = "A","B","C"
OUTPUT("Number Taken":wink:

if player in numbers(1,100) = ""
count = count +1
OUTPUT count + "numbers remaining"END
Thats a rough roundup of what I did, although the one I created made more sense, I cant really think about the specifications for it again.

You can see from my code that I already assumed the array had been created, this may have been a mistake.

I also thought they confused some people with the selected player as "A" for this script, as obviously in a real world scenario the script wouldn't have a constant variable for the player.

for the record question, I just put 'Jade01'. is that a record?
and in the other section of the client server network,

what about that question about the client-server network?

i wrote:

1) all the data is stored centrally so if the computers fail, the customers data won't be lost, unlike a peer-to-peer network
2) the client computers can seamlessly be replaced as the server containing all the data can easily be connected to the new computers so the customers' data isn't made vulnerable

how many marks out of 4 would that give me?

finally, I said that the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet is that WWW is a collection of IP addresses and domain names whereas the internet (WAN) is a type of network used to connect many devices. Would that give me 2 marks?

what did u put??
wait so for the bit about interpreters; was it asking about it going line by line through the code and then checking for errors?
i know about the whole; "Converts it into machine code". But i thought that since they gave you both an interpreter and a compiler they would be looking for some difference perhaps.
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
for the record question, I just put 'Jade01'. is that a record?
and in the other section of the client server network,

what about that question about the client-server network?

i wrote:

1) all the data is stored centrally so if the computers fail, the customers data won't be lost, unlike a peer-to-peer network
2) the client computers can seamlessly be replaced as the server containing all the data can easily be connected to the new computers so the customers' data isn't made vulnerable

how many marks out of 4 would that give me?

finally, I said that the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet is that WWW is a collection of IP addresses and domain names whereas the internet (WAN) is a type of network used to connect many devices. Would that give me 2 marks?

what did u put??

This answers your record question: http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_new/databases/terminology/miniweb/pg3.htm

The client server answers seems pretty good, in general you just had to say about if one computer was to fail the data wouldn't be lost , I can't remember my second point.

I said that the internet was a WAN, which allows devices all around the world to connect to - The internet utilizes the WWW in order to associate IP Addresses with other servers and thus webpages.

I had some funny looks at the start of the exam, I started laughing as soon as I saw the Emoji question :P
Who wants too come with me to the OCR Super Market?
Reply 139
Can anyone work out what I need in the exam in order to get A or A*?

I had 2 A* in coursework?

- Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending