The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by rileystringer1
Our invigilator said at the end to make sure you tick the boxes because if not there stands a chance you won't get marked for that section

But don't worry, as long as you've only answered questions in 2 sections then they'll be marked. Au cas you don't, just appeal :h:

oh okay thank you!!
Original post by Trolleybaby
We did phobias!!! Thanks for sharing!

If you did Cook and Mineka as your study I can give you my notes for that

I find that with phobias (the second disorder), even though you're supposed to know two explanations for it, they never ask you for a second. So they have asked to describe/evaluate one explanation for a disorder other than SZ before, but the only way they could possibly ask for a second explanation is by asking "describe and evaluate two explanations for a disorder other than SZ" or something like that
I've heard that the practical is likely to come up for clinical, but the practical is making a leaflet.. Not sure how to write 12 marks on that! Any suggestions?
Hoping twin and animal studies don't come up for many marks in clinical.. it was the 12 marker for 2014 so I doubt it would be for 2016. Also the 2015 12 marker was pure CBT so perhaps it will be an explanation this year instead of a treatment
Original post by lillyjox
I've heard that the practical is likely to come up for clinical, but the practical is making a leaflet.. Not sure how to write 12 marks on that! Any suggestions?

Well if it was a 12 marker it wouldn't be just describe and evaluate your practical (because you can't exactly evaluate the way we made a leaflet)

I think if the 12 marker is on the practical, it's likely to also include the key issue. Like describe/explain the key issue then evaluate your practical considering how you could have improved your leaflet.

But to be honest that would be a nice question, there are so many things you could do to improve your leaflet like using certain colours, fonts, terminology, theories (some may be too complex), ways of helping i.e. contact numbers etc.

I'm guessing everyone's key issue is Understanding Schizophrenia, so state it, explain why it is an issue (so you can provide help, remove blame from parents, help them control symptoms to improve quality of life so they can work and contribute), give the bio side, give the social side then conclude in a way you're comfortable with. I'd probably conclude with the diathesis stress model (environmental stressors work on a genetic predisposition/vulnerability)
Original post by 08graya
Schizophrenia was a large part of the exam last year so we can probably expect our chosen disorder to be a large part this year (I think it'll be a cognitive explanation of depression for those of you who chose depression), Rosenhan maybe, I doubt cognitive therapy will come up - it was the essay last year so another therapy from a different approach! I also think (or maybe it's wishful thinking) that contributions will come up as one of the 18 markers, as well as probably ethnocentrism!

Our chosen disorder came in the 2014 paper do you think it is still likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if it was a 12 marker it wouldn't be just describe and evaluate your practical (because you can't exactly evaluate the way we made a leaflet)

I think if the 12 marker is on the practical, it's likely to also include the key issue. Like describe/explain the key issue then evaluate your practical considering how you could have improved your leaflet.

omg thank you sooo much!! You sound pretty set for this exam :smile:
Original post by lillyjox
omg thank you sooo much!! You sound pretty set for this exam :smile:

I'll be much more prepared for this one than Unit 3 :lol: Let us just hope that the questions are as nice as the Unit 3 ones
If you did Cook and Mineka as your study I can give you my notes for that

I find that with phobias (the second disorder), even though you're supposed to know two explanations for it, they never ask you for a second. So they have asked to describe/evaluate one explanation for a disorder other than SZ before, but the only way they could possibly ask for a second explanation is by asking "describe and evaluate two explanations for a disorder other than SZ" or something like that

Yea we did cook and mineka! Would be great if you could share them, thanks so much
Reply 329
I actually really liked the Unit 3 paper, sooo worried about the Unit 4 one though

can someone explain ethnocentrism for me because I just don't get it at all !!!!!
Hoping twin and animal studies don't come up for many marks in clinical.. it was the 12 marker for 2014 so I doubt it would be for 2016. Also the 2015 12 marker was pure CBT so perhaps it will be an explanation this year instead of a treatment

The fact that it came up in 2014 doesn't really mean anything, just think about it... The unit 3 paper last year had the 12 marker as social learning theory and so did this years unit 3!! Don't let them fool you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trolleybaby
Yea we did cook and mineka! Would be great if you could share them, thanks so much

:smile:
Original post by DarceyKuypers
The fact that it came up in 2014 doesn't really mean anything, just think about it... The unit 3 paper last year had the 12 marker as social learning theory and so did this years unit 3!! Don't let them fool you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truee! I'm not leaving anything unrevised but I know research methods won't be the 12 marker.. they teated us on that in Unitn3 so I think it's time to test on key issue now :smile:
Truee! I'm not leaving anything unrevised but I know research methods won't be the 12 marker.. they teated us on that in Unitn3 so I think it's time to test on key issue now :smile:

I personally think the 12 marker is either gonna be the key issue or own practical, and the 18 marker on ethnocentrism 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rsprcy
I actually really liked the Unit 3 paper, sooo worried about the Unit 4 one though

can someone explain ethnocentrism for me because I just don't get it at all !!!!!

Ethnocetrism is easier than it seems.. it's when you conduct cross-cultural research and judge the results from other cultures using your own culture's results as a baseline/the ideal

So imagine Ainsworth does the strange situation in Birmingham and finds 70% secure attachments, that is then the norm/the ideal in Birmingham. She does it again in Berlin and finds most children are anxious avoidant. She says to other researchers "Well German mothers clearly don't look after their children very well, only 30% of them are securely attached! Compared to our 70%"

That's ethnocentric. Ainsworth shouldn't compare Berlin's results against Birmingham's, in doing so she's enforcing an imposed etic on their culture, assuming that they should have the same attachment type as Birmingham.

Ainsworth would be lacking cultural relativism, she isn't familiar with the culture of Berlin, and doesn't know that German mothers place value on independence, so although secure attachment is ideal in Birmingham, anxious avoidant is ideal in Germany because it means that German children don't rely on their parents for comforrt and consolation as much (according to Ainsworth's attachment types)

If she lived in Berlin for a while and immersed herself in its culture, she could take an emic approach to understanding and interpreting Berlin's results

Key words here:
Emic - viewpoint of an 'insider'
Etic - viewpoint of an 'outsider'

Hope I've explained it well :smile: You can also look at ethnocentrism in terms of mental illness and diagnosis (DSM is very westernised which is why twice as many black west indians are diagnosed with mental health disorders, culture bound syndromes like Kuru in Papau New Guinea, different interpretations for example Malgady found a difference in interpretation of hearing voices in America (symptom of schizophrenia) and Morocco (sign of connecting with spirits)
Original post by DarceyKuypers
I personally think the 12 marker is either gonna be the key issue or own practical, and the 18 marker on ethnocentrism 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be good though!! Key issue and practical are fine, easy to wing, and for ethnocentrism there is a lot you can speak about, and the second half of it would be "evaluate cross-cultural research" which is obvious
Original post by Themodeststudent
Our chosen disorder came in the 2014 paper do you think it is still likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it could do - I wish I was confident with my predictions!! It's more likely to be shorter questions I would say but make sure you can describe and explain for 12 marks as well 😊
Reply 337
Ethnocetrism is easier than it seems.. it's when you conduct cross-cultural research and judge the results from other cultures using your own culture's results as a baseline/the ideal

So imagine Ainsworth does the strange situation in Birmingham and finds 70% secure attachments, that is then the norm/the ideal in Birmingham. She does it again in Berlin and finds most children are anxious avoidant. She says to other researchers "Well German mothers clearly don't look after their children very well, only 30% of them are securely attached! Compared to our 70%"

That's ethnocentric. Ainsworth shouldn't compare Berlin's results against Birmingham's, in doing so she's enforcing an imposed etic on their culture, assuming that they should have the same attachment type as Birmingham.

Ainsworth would be lacking cultural relativism, she isn't familiar with the culture of Berlin, and doesn't know that German mothers place value on independence, so although secure attachment is ideal in Birmingham, anxious avoidant is ideal in Germany because it means that German children don't rely on their parents for comforrt and consolation as much (according to Ainsworth's attachment types)

If she lived in Berlin for a while and immersed herself in its culture, she could take an emic approach to understanding and interpreting Berlin's results

Key words here:
Emic - viewpoint of an 'insider'
Etic - viewpoint of an 'outsider'

Hope I've explained it well :smile: You can also look at ethnocentrism in terms of mental illness and diagnosis (DSM is very westernised which is why twice as many black west indians are diagnosed with mental health disorders, culture bound syndromes like Kuru in Papau New Guinea, different interpretations for example Malgady found a difference in interpretation of hearing voices in America (symptom of schizophrenia) and Morocco (sign of connecting with spirits)

Ahh thank you so so much! Makes loads more sense now
Original post by Rsprcy
Ahh thank you so so much! Makes loads more sense now

It's fine :h: I was testing how well I knew ethnocentrism without revision.. pretty well I'd say!
Anyonehave model answer for ethnocentrism as a 18marker???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending