The Student Room Group

What happens if I don't meet typical offer requirements for my University?

Hi,

I am currently very stressed out. Before A-Levels started I was 100% certain I will be doing pharmacy or biomedical science at either Manchester University, Keele University, University of Nottingham or University of Birmingham. However, the grade boundaries are high with a typical offer from each university being AAB.

I was confident with all the course, however these science OCR Breadth and Depth papers for both Biology and Chemistry did not go down too good. I was predicted AA for both but realistically I think I might be on track to get a C or even a D! :frown:

I was gutted but was wondering does anyone know what the chances are of applying to this course and still getting in? I know it sounds bizarre but I was just wondering. I have a terrific profile with work experience in both pharmacy and hospitals and many summer schools for medicine and pharmacy, but this really sucks. How much will it help my application if I have an outstanding Personal statement and a very good profile? Do universities even look at that if the grades are not met? Thanks for any help in advance!
Original post by BTECColouring
Hi,

I am currently very stressed out. Before A-Levels started I was 100% certain I will be doing pharmacy or biomedical science at either Manchester University, Keele University, University of Nottingham or University of Birmingham. However, the grade boundaries are high with a typical offer from each university being AAB.

I was confident with all the course, however these science OCR Breadth and Depth papers for both Biology and Chemistry did not go down too good. I was predicted AA for both but realistically I think I might be on track to get a C or even a D! :frown:

I was gutted but was wondering does anyone know what the chances are of applying to this course and still getting in? I know it sounds bizarre but I was just wondering. I have a terrific profile with work experience in both pharmacy and hospitals and many summer schools for medicine and pharmacy, but this really sucks. How much will it help my application if I have an outstanding Personal statement and a very good profile? Do universities even look at that if the grades are not met? Thanks for any help in advance!

Hiya!

I would say to try not to worry too much about this at the moment - it's probably best to see what grades you actually achieved first! Your perception of how an exam went is usually not that spot on, and the grade boundaries will change if everyone found the exam very difficult. Don't lose hope! You were predicted those A's for a reason :smile:

I'd say, if you do get grades lower than you were aiming for, to go and speak to your college tutor, or whoever is helping you with UCAS applications. There's a chance they will still take you on even with lower grades/predicted grades.

There are also options to go through clearing - if it gets to results day and the courses aren't filled up, then Universities often offer places to students with lower grades. I'm assuming you won't be applying for another year, but have a read of our guide to clearing here and here.

Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by Fox Corner
Hiya!

I would say to try not to worry too much about this at the moment - it's probably best to see what grades you actually achieved first! Your perception of how an exam went is usually not that spot on, and the grade boundaries will change if everyone found the exam very difficult. Don't lose hope! You were predicted those A's for a reason :smile:

I'd say, if you do get grades lower than you were aiming for, to go and speak to your college tutor, or whoever is helping you with UCAS applications. There's a chance they will still take you on even with lower grades/predicted grades.

There are also options to go through clearing - if it gets to results day and the courses aren't filled up, then Universities often offer places to students with lower grades. I'm assuming you won't be applying for another year, but have a read of our guide to clearing here and here.

Hope this helps! :h:

Thank you very much I have had a look at the clearing and the last chemistry exam went well! Hopefully it can do something to the overall grade!!
Hi @BTECColouring
At Keele, depending on the circumstances, you can sometimes afford to drop a grade or 2 (we are all human!) and it will be an advantage having that work experience and a good quality personal statement, however it is important to be realistic about the situation and there is unfortunately a limit that you are able to be accepted on the course.
An alternative may be that if you do not make the grades, you could be offered a place on the science foundation year which, when completed you will be able to progress onto the 1st year of your chosen subject. You will still be able to apply for student finance for this year and it can give you an extra year to experience student life!Some more information on the Foundation Year can be found here: http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/sciencefoundationyear/
I hope that this helps but let me know if you have any questions at all, and good luck with your A-Levels!

Thanks
Sam - Digital Team
Original post by Keele University
Hi @BTECColouring
At Keele, depending on the circumstances, you can sometimes afford to drop a grade or 2 (we are all human!) and it will be an advantage having that work experience and a good quality personal statement, however it is important to be realistic about the situation and there is unfortunately a limit that you are able to be accepted on the course.
An alternative may be that if you do not make the grades, you could be offered a place on the science foundation year which, when completed you will be able to progress onto the 1st year of your chosen subject. You will still be able to apply for student finance for this year and it can give you an extra year to experience student life!Some more information on the Foundation Year can be found here: http://www.keele.ac.uk/foundationcourses/sciencefoundationyear/
I hope that this helps but let me know if you have any questions at all, and good luck with your A-Levels!

Thanks
Sam - Digital Team

Thank You very much Sam,
Keele or University of Manchester will definitely be my firm choice for university with either pharmacy or biomedical sciences, (I did some more research!). Thank You

Quick Reply

Latest