The Student Room Group

Access to HE Diploma results day?

Hi guys. Do Access to HE Diploma courses have a results day, or do you know the grade at which you receive your credits, straight after each assignment? Thanks
Reply 1
At my college it was 3 weeks after each assignment submission to receive your grade
It depends on the awarding body for the Access to HE diploma you have completed.
Mine's expecting to release results by the 23rd July. They try to get results out before A-level results day to avoid the rush.

Any grades you are given during the course are subject to moderation, so aren't final.

They should transmit the results to UCAS automatically, paper certificates will likely come after to pick up or will be posted to you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DAVE_CHUNKY
It depends on the awarding body for the Access to HE diploma you have completed.
Mine's expecting to release results by the 23rd July. They try to get results out before A-level results day to avoid the rush.

Any grades you are given during the course are subject to moderation, so aren't final.

They should transmit the results to UCAS automatically, paper certificates will likely come after to pick up or will be posted to you.

If the deadline for response to your uni offers is May 20, then how do you get into uni courses for, say, September, if you get your results in July?

Here’s my thinking:
You put your predicted grades in your UCAS app because you’re still studying your course during that Sep - Jan application process, then you get offers by 20 May, and you have to respond by 9 June. In your response, do you give them your results? If you get your results in July, you can’t do that, and therefore you wouldn’t be able to get in. Trying to understand this is a bit of an issue for me right now because I’d be in the same boat. What do I do? I’d appreciate your help.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you apply through a college they submit your predicted grades along with a reference to UCAS before the deadline, if you are applying yourself I'm not 100% as to what you need to do, but I am presuming you need to send off similar information. You receive offers from universities by the 20th May.
These offers could be conditional, subject to what results you get or unconditional. You need to select a firm choice and insurance choices by June.
You get your results in July, these would be sent directly to UCAS by your awarding body and you either meet your conditions for your firm choice or insurance choices. If so, great.

If your results fall short and you don't meet the conditions of your offer/s there are multiple potential ways forward, including:
- Being offered a foundation year.
- offered a slightly different course with lower requirements.
- rejected outright, then you would need to go through the clearing process.
Reply 5
My results transcript and course certificate were emailed to me a week or so before A-Level results day. I received the paper copies in the post about three months later. Good luck with your results!
Original post by denideth
My results transcript and course certificate were emailed to me a week or so before A-Level results day. I received the paper copies in the post about three months later. Good luck with your results!

If so, then how are you supposed to complete your UCAS app? For Access to HE Diploma option in the qualification tab, you need to give the grades you received for your credits, and leave the modules you’re still studying on Pending, leaving whoever to include your predicted grades for those modules. But if you receive your results in August next year, then you can’t do your qualification in the application. So I’m confused
Are you wanting to start uni this September (2021)? Have you submitted your UCAS application yet and got offers?
Are you wanting to start uni this September (2021)? Have you submitted your UCAS application yet and got offers?

No I’m not joining uni this year
Ok, so you just submit your UCAS application with pending in all the units you haven't completed yet, unis will consider your application based on the estimated grades anyway.
They will then give you an offer with conditions, such as getting so many distinctions and/or merits, or so many UCAS points in your final grades. This is likely going to be the same requirements as shown on the course pages on the university website.
You would then accept The offer/s. One needs to be your firm choice and the rest insurance choices in case your final grades end up being lower than expected.
You get your final grades next July these get sent off to UCAS and then if you met the requirements for your firm choice you get a place and happy days. If your grades aren't high enough for your firm choice you could get a place on one of your insurance choices instead. If you don't meet the grades for any of your choices you would go into clearing.
Ok, so you just submit your UCAS application with pending in all the units you haven't completed yet, unis will consider your application based on the estimated grades anyway.
They will then give you an offer with conditions, such as getting so many distinctions and/or merits, or so many UCAS points in your final grades. This is likely going to be the same requirements as shown on the course pages on the university website.
You would then accept The offer/s. One needs to be your firm choice and the rest insurance choices in case your final grades end up being lower than expected.
You get your final grades next July these get sent off to UCAS and then if you met the requirements for your firm choice you get a place and happy days. If your grades aren't high enough for your firm choice you could get a place on one of your insurance choices instead. If you don't meet the grades for any of your choices you would go into clearing.

Thank you. So unis give you offers based on your grades and predicted grades? Do they do this by estimating how competent enough you are to achieve their grades? So if you’ve done 10/19 modules and you’ve gotten say 6 merits and however many distinctions and they ask for 45 distinctions, it’s not likely that they’ll give you an offer right?
My estimated grades given were all passes (think they did it as standard for everyone, so I didn't take offence), and I still got offers, requiring 30 distinctions and the rest merits or above.
Don't think it truly matters as if you don't get the grades you don't get a place anyway, it's all about the final grades.

Do you need to send the uni u r going to the original certificate? Or will they contact you through ucas once it has been added on there?

I am a bit scared as I will be on holiday and I wont be able to recieve my certificate in person
Original post by Throwaway927774
Hi guys. Do Access to HE Diploma courses have a results day, or do you know the grade at which you receive your credits, straight after each assignment? Thanks

Hi

I've taught on Access to HE for just over 10 years. The grade that you typically receive 2 / 3 weeks after submission is a recommended grade from the tutor - a sample of the group will need to be internal verified (by a member of staff) and a sample will be externally moderated by someone from another institution.

At the end of the year there will be a FAB (final exam board) where the grades are formalised, I sat in one this week, it is rare that changes are made to the grade but it can happen with weaker providers who inflate the grades. A lot of students are given conditional offers based on UCAS tariff points. Your diploma will typically contain the certificate and a print out of what you got for each unit, even if it is a partial award (unless you are planning on completing units the following year)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending