The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

So do we need to know a study in detail for each research method? Because in the spec it says describe and evaluate... seems quite unfair seeing as people doing child would be way more likely to know an observational study in detail than those who did health
Original post by psychemma
So do we need to know a study in detail for each research method? Because in the spec it says describe and evaluate... seems quite unfair seeing as people doing child would be way more likely to know an observational study in detail than those who did health

Think, the biggest question on the paper is 18 marks: 12 marks for content and 6 marks for structure.

Imagine this question:
Describe and evaluate the laboratory experiment, in your answer include a study you have learned about that has used the laboratory experiment. (18)

6 marks for description (ao1)
6 marks for evaluation (ao2)

How you answer it is up to you, but I'd say 4 marks describing the typical lab experiment, 2 marks describing loftus and palmer (summarise procedure and results), 6 marks evaluating lab experiments, relate 1 or 2 points to loftus and palmer if you want
Reply 482
Original post by benhartley05
Schiz & DEPRESSION

Thank you so much!!!
Original post by sljune
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=105565&d=1307987383

hey.. you probably have gone through this but for those who haven't i would really advice you as it has everything you need from A to Z for the issues and debate section

looking at this has given me more of a scare!! theres so much we need to know and only about 20% of it comes up...
Out of curiosity, do people spend more time on clinical or I+D?😩😳
*EDIT: I meant for revision hahaha sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blinkofaneyee

Posted from TSR Mobile

I+D
Original post by blinkofaneyee

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try to get it an equal split of one hour for each section, but if my hour is almost up for clinical I will move on to I+D because that 18 marker is worth a lot and 6 of the marks are just for coherent grammar and spelling:laugh:
Of all the timed papers I've done, I've managed to finish but only just
Do we have to know the 5 axes with regards to the DSM?
Original post by bella1234567
Do we have to know the 5 axes with regards to the DSM?

nope
guys when debating why psychology is a science, what evaluation points would u include?
Original post by Exams2210
guys when debating why psychology is a science, what evaluation points would u include?

Sociology and science came up as a 18 marker in the June 2013 paper, so I'd suggest looking at that mark scheme here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Psychology/2013/Exam%20materials/6PS04_01_msc_20130815.pdf

But the evaluation is just saying how an approach is scientific and then arguing against it saying that it isn't :smile:
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Sociology and science came up as a 18 marker in the June 2013 paper, so I'd suggest looking at that mark scheme here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Psychology/2013/Exam%20materials/6PS04_01_msc_20130815.pdf

But the evaluation is just saying how an approach is scientific and then arguing against it saying that it isn't :smile:

yea i was making notes on that same question using the mark scheme however i didnt understand the evaluation part...
yea i was making notes on that same question using the mark scheme however i didnt understand the evaluation part...

I feel like the majority of 18 markers are evaluation and there's only a little bit of description (like what social control means, what science means etc...) because you're debating and evaluating the rest of it. I'm not 100% sure if science will come up as an 18 marker again though, it seems unlikely but not impossible. Sorry I couldn't help more :frown:
I feel like the majority of 18 markers are evaluation and there's only a little bit of description (like what social control means, what science means etc...) because you're debating and evaluating the rest of it. I'm not 100% sure if science will come up as an 18 marker again though, it seems unlikely but not impossible. Sorry I couldn't help more :frown:

no it still helped, thanks. im just going over eveything and trying to answer exam style questions becuase predictions dont help, everyone predicted the practical would come up in unit 3 but it didnt
no it still helped, thanks. im just going over eveything and trying to answer exam style questions becuase predictions dont help, everyone predicted the practical would come up in unit 3 but it didnt

Yeah I'm just kind of looking at the 2015 paper, and seeing what came up, and making a list of stuff that didn't, but even that isn't 100% reliable because Social learning theory came up in 2015 and 2016 in unit 3
Can someone help with what you need to know for cultural issues in diagnosis?
I have some notes on issues with the diagnosis of schizophrenia across cultures, evaluation for this, and examples of culture bound syndromes. Is that all we need to know? :smile:
Yeah I'm just kind of looking at the 2015 paper, and seeing what came up, and making a list of stuff that didn't, but even that isn't 100% reliable because Social learning theory came up in 2015 and 2016 in unit 3

yh you should basically just spend your time revising everything or recapping everything. social learning theory is so easy as well and it came up both years
Can someone help with what you need to know for cultural issues in diagnosis?
I have some notes on issues with the diagnosis of schizophrenia across cultures, evaluation for this, and examples of culture bound syndromes. Is that all we need to know? :smile:

yep that is all you need to know, what are the examples you have?
yep that is all you need to know, what are the examples you have?

Thanks and I have:
Koro (genital retraction syndrome) - Mostly found in Chinese cultures. Symptoms are that people will believe their genitals will retract into them and cause their death and they feel extreme anxiety and fear.

Dhat - found in men in Indian-Hindu cultures. The person experiences weakness and exhaustion and they have anxiety about this and they blame it on the presence of semen in their blood.

I don't really know how much detail you need to know, but I've just written those down :smile:
Thanks and I have:
Koro (genital retraction syndrome) - Mostly found in Chinese cultures. Symptoms are that people will believe their genitals will retract into them and cause their death and they feel extreme anxiety and fear.

Dhat - found in men in Indian-Hindu cultures. The person experiences weakness and exhaustion and they have anxiety about this and they blame it on the presence of semen in their blood.

I don't really know how much detail you need to know, but I've just written those down :smile:

loool koro man i can not forget that study lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending