The Student Room Group

How Hard Is Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 34908seikj
There's LOTS of resources out there. If you don't get something go to a different resource and do it there. It's really not complicated once you understand things like notation etc.

https://mathswebsite.com/a-level
http://www.themathsteacher.com/a_level_maths.php
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/alevel.html
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-1/

thanks for these :smile: I've heard examsolutions is also really good :h:
I know a bit of stuff from FP1 like matrices and complex numbers because I was procrastinating when I was meant to be revising GCSE maths :lol: Tbh, it doesn't seem that bad (I might regret saying this in 2 years :biggrin:) but I'm not going to go any further than the units listed because a) I'm lazy and b) I don't want to get a wrong understanding of the harder concepts etc if that makes sense?
Reply 21
Original post by LearnForYOU
A Levels are overrated lmao, unless you went to get into medicine or something across that field science is good if you want to get in to uni.

Universities don't care about your subjects with exceptions of some specific ones, they just care about the GRADES. I'd chose the most easiest A Levels bang out A/A*'s and get in to an amazing university and do the course you love...

Simple. Don't put so much stress on your self, enjoy your summer don't even look at work!

Everything above is ridiculously wrong.

Original post by surina16
Oh okay :smile: Our school is setting us compulsory maths work over the summer (:colonhash:) so if I finish that quickly, I might look over C1, C2 and FP1. The other stuff looks too complicated to self-teach tbh :colondollar:

Enjoy your summer, you'll have plenty of time to study once term starts. Just relax for a bit, you won't get that opportunity to just do nothing over your holidays till the end of your A-Levels, might as well enjoy it whilst you can.
Original post by miless090
In my opinion it's not that hard but it depends how good you are at maths, especially algebra. If you're getting A*/A at GCSE you should'nt find it too difficult. Also, if you've done further maths GCSE it's a good insight into AS maths.

I am confident that I will get A or A* at GCSE but I don't really enjoy maths atall especially the topics which A level is mostly based around. Do you still think I would do good?
Original post by 09HB
I got an A* and still found it horrible.

H

Why did you find it horrible may I ask? Was it too difficult, the type of topics or work load for example?
Well compared the GCSE maths, I found AS slightly easier. If you work hard throughout the year and start past papers at around March, there's no reason you cant get A's.
Original post by Zacken
Everything above is ridiculously wrong.

Enjoy your summer, you'll have plenty of time to study once term starts. Just relax for a bit, you won't get that opportunity to just do nothing over your holidays till the end of your A-Levels, might as well enjoy it whilst you can.

Zacken I know you are very respected in the maths department haha, do you think I would have high success at maths A level when I don't really enjoy maths and don't really like the look of the topics on the syllabus? I am good at it though which is the spanner in the work.
Reply 26
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not :smile:

I've just finished year 12 - done the whole maths A level this year (C1-C4, M1 & S1). It's completely different from GCSE maths and can seem quite scary at first.

If you like maths and manage to get an A or A* at GCSE, there's no reason why you can't get an A or A* at A level if you put in enough hard work. You have to be prepared to work hard in order to get the top grades - you won't get an A* if you start revising the night before every exam!

To answer your question, is it hard? The answer varies person-to-person, so it really depends on what you're good at. In my opinion it's much easier to get 100% in a maths exam than other subjects (English for exam). Make sure you fully understand every topic and every method fully and you'll be fine ! Good luck next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 09HB
If I had the choice between slamming my penis in the car door and doing it again, I would only be doing maths once :P

H

:rip: DED :toofunny:
Reply 28
Why did you find it horrible may I ask? Was it too difficult, the type of topics or work load for example?

The topics are tonnes harder than at GCSE, and the workload is MASSIVE, especially if something comes up that you don't understand and need to spend more time on... It just sets you back for ages.

Still wouldn't reccommend it unfortunately.

H
maths is easy.....

because of one man....

http://www.examsolutions.net

one beautiful man....
Reply 30
Zacken I know you are very respected in the maths department haha, do you think I would have high success at maths A level when I don't really enjoy maths and don't really like the look of the topics on the syllabus? I am good at it though which is the spanner in the work.

You could probably do well at it if you put in the work, however, you won't want to put in the work if you don't enjoy maths. You'll make your AS/A-year a bit of a misery with heaping revision of a subject you don't enjoy on yourself and consequently will probably not do well.

Why do you want to take a subject you don't enjoy?

(also, well respected in the maths department? :tongue: )
Original post by 98matt
I've just finished year 12 - done the whole maths A level this year (C1-C4, M1 & S1). It's completely different from GCSE maths and can seem quite scary at first.

If you like maths and manage to get an A or A* at GCSE, there's no reason why you can't get an A or A* at A level if you put in enough hard work. You have to be prepared to work hard in order to get the top grades - you won't get an A* if you start revising the night before every exam!

To answer your question, is it hard? The answer varies person-to-person, so it really depends on what you're good at. In my opinion it's much easier to get 100% in a maths exam than other subjects (English for exam). Make sure you fully understand every topic and every method fully and you'll be fine ! Good luck next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great reply thank you very much :smile: I wish you luck in your future exams and results :smile:
Original post by LearnForYOU
A Levels are overrated lmao, unless you went to get into medicine or something across that field science is good if you want to get in to uni.

Universities don't care about your subjects with exceptions of some specific ones, they just care about the GRADES. I'd chose the most easiest A Levels bang out A/A*'s and get in to an amazing university and do the course you love...

Simple. Don't put so much stress on your self, enjoy your summer don't even look at work!

Which subjects did you pick?
Reply 33
I'm not exaggerating, practice everyday from the first lesson and you will be fine.
Depends on the person. Some of my mates found it the hardest thing and the others didn't. Also, how much effort you put it will be evident in the outcome, nothing is impossible...
Reply 35
Original post by 98matt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subjects do you do?
Original post by Zacken
You could probably do well at it if you put in the work, however, you won't want to put in the work if you don't enjoy maths. You'll make your AS/A-year a bit of a misery with heaping revision of a subject you don't enjoy on yourself and consequently will probably not do well.

Why do you want to take a subject you don't enjoy?

(also, well respected in the maths department? :tongue: )

I don't really want to choose it but all my friends and family are saying I should do it as its very well respected and they think my current a-level options are lacking a top subject. When speaking to one of my teachers she said well it will be only one subject you won't enjoy so just put up with it?
Btw, I always see you helping everyone on the maths forums thats what I meant haha :smile:
Reply 37
I don't really want to choose it but all my friends and family are saying I should do it as its very well respected and they think my current a-level options are lacking a top subject. When speaking to one of my teachers she said well it will be only one subject you won't enjoy so just put up with it?
Btw, I always see you helping everyone on the maths forums thats what I meant haha :smile:

If you want to go into sciences/medicine/economics, then yeah, it'd be a good choice. If you want to go into something more arts-y (history, english, languages, etc...) then, definitely don't do it if you don't enjoy it. If you're not sure, then do it.
It's much easier than doing a maths degree
Original post by Zacken
If you want to go into sciences/medicine/economics, then yeah, it'd be a good choice. If you want to go into something more arts-y (history, english, languages, etc...) then, definitely don't do it if you don't enjoy it. If you're not sure, then do it.

Currently I was thinking of History, Economics and Politics and was considering either a Law or finance/economics type of degree but all of my family and friends I should drop politics for maths.

Quick Reply

Latest