The Student Room Group

Dilemma, sixth form

Hi,
I attend sixth form and currently have an opportunity to watch the football on Monday in France
With an attendance of 97%, surely this would be fine, i know other people who havent gone in, and would you recommend authorising this for 2 days missed or not, and what I should say to my tutor - i missed just one lesson once before and they called home?
Also, for some unbeknown reason, my parents are adamant that i have to attend sixth form and can not miss etc, what can i say to them to convince or to so the sixth form can say its okay as i really want to go.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Call up and say that you are ill, surely it doesnt matter that much as exams are finished for AS idk if you are A2
I think you should definitely go. As superhuman98 said, just use the good old fashioned sick note :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lularose83
I think you should definitely go. As superhuman98 said, just use the good old fashioned sick note :smile:

Thanks so do i, only problem is my parents seem adamant that I can't miss any college and obviously will try and prevent. If you have one unauthorised absence i'm pretty sure they won't do anything but i'm struggling to find what to say to them to make sure i can go. thanks
Assuming you are finished with your exams I would definitely go. Watching England lose only happens once every couple of years!

If you've still got exams then I would strongly recommend you focus on those rather than football.
Reply 5
Original post by Elivercury
Assuming you are finished with your exams I would definitely go. Watching England lose only happens once every couple of years!

If you've still got exams then I would strongly recommend you focus on those rather than football.

yeah i have finished my as exams for the summer. parents seem to think i'm going to get kicked out if i go and that everyone always goes to sixth form, so frustrating.
Original post by cameronl99
Hi,
I attend sixth form and currently have an opportunity to watch the football on Monday in France
With an attendance of 97%, surely this would be fine, i know other people who havent gone in, and would you recommend authorising this for 2 days missed or not, and what I should say to my tutor - i missed just one lesson once before and they called home?
Also, for some unbeknown reason, my parents are adamant that i have to attend sixth form and can not miss etc, what can i say to them to convince or to so the sixth form can say its okay as i really want to go.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

I would call sick!
yeah i have finished my as exams for the summer. parents seem to think i'm going to get kicked out if i go and that everyone always goes to sixth form, so frustrating.

Go. Seriously, you're an adult and you're not going to miss anything vital. Call in sick, have your parents support your statement if you're that concerned.

Hell you could probably go to your GP and tell them you've had a horrible virus the past few days but are starting to feel better and you need a note for school. Could probably even be honest about going to the football and they'd help you out...
Reply 8
Original post by Elivercury
Go. Seriously, you're an adult and you're not going to miss anything vital. Call in sick, have your parents support your statement if you're that concerned.

Hell you could probably go to your GP and tell them you've had a horrible virus the past few days but are starting to feel better and you need a note for school. Could probably even be honest about going to the football and they'd help you out...

Thanks Elivercury. If i asked to go and they didn't authorise but went anyway, what are they likely to do given i have 97% attendance, it wouldnt really stand out?

Also, it's my parents that think I need to go in so i don't know what to convince them.
Thanks Elivercury. If i asked to go and they didn't authorise but went anyway, what are they likely to do given i have 97% attendance, it wouldnt really stand out?

Also, it's my parents that think I need to go in so i don't know what to convince them.

I would imagine 97% probably puts you in the top couple of % of students at the school - the average person would likely be sick more than that.

You can try to reason with them that there is no value in it and perhaps offer to do extra studying at another time. It may be worth pointing out to them that you are nearly an adult presumably are nearly at university. They will not be able to monitor and control you there, so they're better off discussing and agreeing reasonable measures now.

If they still refuse I would be inclined just to go anyway and accept the punishment for doing so. I seriously doubt your sixth form will do anything, as you say you've got 97% and it doesn't matter. I'd phone in ill anyway though.

Quick Reply

Latest