The Student Room Group

Wjec S2 2016

Seemed fine, how'd everybody find it?

Inb4 "On the table hurhurhurhurhur!"
Reply 1
I loved that paper, apart from question 4? Was a bit different but I think I did the right thing!
Original post by ahannah
I loved that paper, apart from question 4? Was a bit different but I think I did the right thing!

That the one with the dogs? How'd you deal with that?
Yeah, it was a tad odd.
Reply 3
Original post by WhisperingTide
That the one with the dogs? How'd you deal with that?
Yeah, it was a tad odd.

no the difference between two sample means?
Original post by ahannah
no the difference between two sample means?

Oh? I found that to be fairly fine, just took a bit of work, I think it was actually the second part of the first question that threw me; took me a while to work out how to do it. :P
Reply 5
Oh? I found that to be fairly fine, just took a bit of work, I think it was actually the second part of the first question that threw me; took me a while to work out how to do it. :P

what did you do for it? Haha I'm not sure if I did that right... i worked out P(X=4) and P(Y=4) using the formula for poisson distribution and multiplied them...
Original post by ahannah
what did you do for it? Haha I'm not sure if I did that right... i worked out P(X=4) and P(Y=4) using the formula for poisson distribution and multiplied them...

Well, I got E(W) = 6 and Var(W) = 36
Made that into a Normal: N~( 6 , 36 )
And continuity corrected either side, giving: P(3.5 < 4 < 4.5)
Not sure if that's right, though. >.> What did you get as an answer?
Reply 7

hmm why would you make a normal approximation? It wasn't a large enough mean value surely? I can't remember, I think it was around 0.015?
Original post by ahannah
hmm why would you make a normal approximation? It wasn't a large enough mean value surely? I can't remember, I think it was around 0.015?

I seem to recall combinations of observations of random variables are normally distributed by default, or something like that. Actually, I think I got around that anyway, so that's awesome! :smile:

I got the same values for E(W) and Var(W), but for the second part I multiplied the two poisson values to get Po~(6), and then did P(W≥4) - P(W≥5), but that was just a blind shot in the dark! Hopefully someone will be able to upload the paper on here.
What do people reckon the grade boundaries will be? Can S2 count towards an A* in further maths?
Original post by roganjosh4444
What do people reckon the grade boundaries will be? Can S2 count towards an A* in further maths?

Average and yes.

You need at least 90 UMS in the best 3 of: S2, S3, FP2, FP3, M2, M3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending