The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage's "breaking point" immigration poster

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
I think the ad focuses primarily on the numbers coming into Europe and the fact that most are economic migrants.

Mainstream media only sees the race of these men, nothing else.

It's a typical knee-jerk reaction.

Linking it to 1930s propaganda is absurd.

Ah right - makes sense.

No one is fleeing wars in the middle east. They are all just risking life and limb for some extra money.

And if we leave the EU, it'll all stop.

Gotcha! :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by The Roast
I think the ad focuses

Ad? Doesn't look much like an ad to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hovado
We

Ad? Doesn't look much like an ad to me.

Poster then.

Jesus take me...
Reply 23
I think the point is that this poster is showing people who don't have a right to come to the uk under eu rules, so perhaps it would have been better to take a picture of a queue of all those people instead.
Rather than allowing people to accuse him of scaremongering, farage should stick to the facts. At current immigration levels we have to build another house every 8 seconds.(according to bbc)
So if you want somewhere to live when you are older, vote leave...
Original post by InnerTemple
Ah right - makes sense.

No one is fleeing wars in the middle east. They are all just risking life and limb for some extra money.

Well when they were running from their war torn country (devastated by a war the US and UK made worse) a certain German chancellor decided to offer them all free citizenship and passports if they went to Germany. Unfortunately Ms Merkel seemed to have forgot that getting to Germany requires going through the rest of Europe first.
Perhaps she planned to get more workers contributing to the economy in Germany but the EU's 'free movement' policy meant migrants started to travel
in search of less crowded or more famous cities to settle and ended up forming camps because there were too many of them in relation to the available accommodation and low skill job market.

The general fear is that they will start to shift here from France and Belgium as the camps start to dissolve there so that they can settle here.
Please note that it is probable that extremist groups have smuggled themselves into the EU with refugees but they have so many potential places to attack that the UK is unlikely to get hit.
Stronger views may also argue that they will spread their culture forcefully but that is fairly unrealistic as they would be a minority in comparison to all other cultural groups in our society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by little_wizard123
Certain links to the 30's seem laughable, but they're genuinely there.

Pretty horrific. We need to stay in.

We need to stay in based on a silly move of a main out campaigner?

Or are you just trying to tell people what to do in the hopes of brainwashing?
Original post by InnerTemple
Ah right - makes sense.

don't be silly

the Middle East to the United Kingdom.jpg
Note that despite the barrage of criticism, even from government ministers in the Leave camp, UKIP have not withdrawn the poster.

The aim of UKIP is a straightforward appeal to racist fear and loathing.

Behind that affable smirk, Farage is a piece of slime who should not be treated to mainstream media coverage or the toadying that he all too often is.
Reply 28
UKIP is not racist, how many times...
I wouldn't vote for them but their fears regarding immigration are mostly reasonable and be serve to be heard equally. Current levels are too high, simple as that
Don't see what the fuss is about tbh. That is what the people queuing up to get in the country look like- are refugees from Syria Iraq and the Middle East countries pale skinned norsemen? Let's not start taking offence on other peoples behalf now
Original post by XcitingStuart
We need to stay in based on a silly move of a main out campaigner?

Or are you just trying to tell people what to do in the hopes of brainwashing?

Lol. Shut the **** up.

Clearly the reasons for staying in are more than the point of this thread. But just look at the types of people who want to leave. Disgusting creatures. Lots of people will similar beliefs to those described above.
People should be concerned (and have the right to be concerned) over the vast numbers of refugees that are coming to Europe. They should also be concerned over the EU's handling of the refugee crisis. This is what the 'breaking point' poster highlights. It isn't spreading fear, it is spreading reality.
Original post by little_wizard123
Lol. Shut the **** up.

Clearly the reasons for staying in are more than the point of this thread. But just look at the types of people who want to leave. Disgusting creatures.

Okay, let's take one example of someone who wants to leave: Dennis Skinner.

Is he a 'disgusting creature'? He's pretty much one of the most liked MPs.
Original post by the bear
people are taking a long hard look at Mr Farage and the other Little Englanders after the tragic events of recent days...

Dismissing everyone you don't agree with as a ''little Englander'' is exactly what is fueling the right of the new right.
Original post by Daddy Longlegz
Dismissing everyone you don't agree with as a ''little Englander'' is exactly what is fueling the right of the new right.

oh i wondered about that
Original post by Grand High Witch
You can see it here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/michael-gove-george-osborne-condemn-nigel-farage-anti-immigration-poster-eu

I am in two minds about the poster.

On the one hand I can see how portraying a group of brown faces in a negative way, and as an argument for Brexit, might be seen as opportunistic racism. However, on the other hand it's factual - it's an image from the migrant crisis last year and is criticising the EU's handling of it and the fact that we have had vast numbers of people making the dangerous journey to enter Europe.

I think, overall, the poster goes too far and there are better ways of criticising Europe in this way.

Your views?

I think I agree fully. Its a lazy way to attack the EU policy and one that is very easily attacked by opposition
Original post by SHallowvale
Not really. As far as I'm aware the EU hasn't actually done anything about the migrant crisis. Most of the actions, or lack thereof, have been made by member states themselves.

Besides, the UK itself isn't facing a large number of asylum seekers entering the country. They're basically capitalising on the migrant crisis even though it doesn't have anything to do with us, nor is it an issue relevant to the EU (for us at least).

Do you understand that Germany have taken +1 million already... and that in a few years they will be given residency and thus a EU/UK passport?

It has everything to do with us if we are in the European union and is unbelievably relevant to the UK people
Reply 37
England is second behind only malta based on population density in the EU.
We may only be 51st overall but we have a population higher than 19 of the top 20 combined nations by population density
The similarities to Nazi propaganda are clear to see.

https://www.rt.com/uk/347089-ukip-poster-refugees-nazis/
Original post by Grand High Witch
You can see it here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/michael-gove-george-osborne-condemn-nigel-farage-anti-immigration-poster-eu

I am in two minds about the poster.

On the one hand I can see how portraying a group of brown faces in a negative way, and as an argument for Brexit, might be seen as opportunistic racism. However, on the other hand it's factual - it's an image from the migrant crisis last year and is criticising the EU's handling of it and the fact that we have had vast numbers of people making the dangerous journey to enter Europe.

I think, overall, the poster goes too far and there are better ways of criticising Europe in this way.

Your views?

It mixes two issues

Most of the migration is from the EU free movement of people.

Brown people are coming as asylum seekers , which is nothing to do with the EU , but the fact we are signatories to the 51 convention on refugees. Other EU( countries take proportionally and in many cases actual numbers) than the UK.
Whether we are in or out we will still have those obligations to hear peoples asylum claims.

It gives a simple clear message about brown people, which will appeal to many voters, who cannot differentiate the two or who are xenophobic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending