The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dann.It
I voted remain, however i think there shouldn't be a second referendum. And it should remain as it is, to teach people a lesson, about taking voting seriously (just like the person above has said).

Why didn't people vote seriously, because they voted different to your views or some other reason?
"The people have spoken. I don't like what they say so let's try that again." - The definition of democracy by those 400,000 people. Disgusting.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

I doubt there'll be another referendum but I think it is a good way to show that people aren't pleased with the result. It weakens the mandate of Brexit. It's one of those things that unlikely to lead anywhere but that's worth a try anyways.

Also most MPs don't want to leave the EU so they might try push for another referendum with the support of the people.
Original post by ManThatCan
"The people have spoken. I don't like what they say so let's try that again." - The definition of democracy by those 400,000 people. Disgusting.

The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.
Jesus Christ. You authoritarians have gone and taken the biscuit on this one. You cant force public opinion to change because you disagree with the result. You really do hate democracy, dont you
Thats amazing. "We dont like the result of the people! Vote again until we get the right result"

These people probably think they are liberals too. IDIOTS
Huh??? I was just passing there and ended up reading all of this :boing:, there is a big debate

Btw, i do agree that the difference is really small but with the 3 million immigrants (who want the uk to stay), the difference is big with more wanting to remain

Why is it that immigrants cant vote? They still live in the UK and most of them, if not all, will continue living here? So... Why??
Original post by mediaya
Huh??? I was just passing there and ended up reading all of this :boing:, there is a big debate

Btw, i do agree that the difference is really small but with the 3 million immigrants (who want the uk to stay), the difference is big with more wanting to remain

Why is it that immigrants cant vote? They still live in the UK and most of them, if not all, will continue living here? So... Why??

The same reason prisoners cant vote on prison laws (Funnily enough the ECHR told us its against their human rights)
Original post by Rlove95
The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.

It isn't enough to justify leaving and also many voters were duped by false claims, like the 350m saving, which the Leave leaders now admit was false.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't enough to justify leaving and also many voters were duped by false claims, like the 350m saving, which the Leave leaders now admit was false.

Exactly. Some leavers even signed that petition after realising the lies and false promises. My uncle voted for us to leave but after seeing the results he signed the petition for a second referendum/. So leavers, it's not all remainers signing the petition.
At the moment we have over 500,000 signatures for the petition.
By the deadline- 25th November 2016 we should have over one million signatures meaning which strongly bypasses the number of signatures needed (100,000)
Original post by Rlove95

Preach!
Leave won a fair and democratic election. End of.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Thats amazing. "We dont like the result of the people! Vote again until we get the right result"

These people probably think they are liberals too. IDIOTS

People thought the eu might try that not the self proclaimed progressives

Spoiler

Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 400,000 signatures now.

Signed, don't know if it'll do any good though
Original post by Fullofsurprises

A democratic majority in a free and fair election is not enough to justify leaving? Absurd.

People are not stupid, no matter how much you may like to think. They vote the way which is right for them and no amount of virtue signaling will change that. Saying the people were "duped" and couldn't decide what was best for themselves is frankly retarded.

Politicians did not decide to leave the EU, the people did.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

"Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further"

Country is screwed for decades to come mate, damage is already done.
Original post by shreddingfish92
A democratic majority in a free and fair election is not enough to justify leaving? Absurd.

People are not stupid, no matter how much you may like to think. They vote the way which is right for them and no amount of virtue signaling will change that. Saying the people were "duped" and couldn't decide what was best for themselves is frankly retarded.

No, people are stupid. If you voted to leave because you believe we give £350m/week to the UK, you're simply wrong, and if you're deciding the future of your country without bothering your arse to check your facts, you're stupid.
Original post by JordanL_
No, people are stupid. If you voted to leave because you believe we give £350m/week to the UK, you're simply wrong, and if you're deciding the future of your country without bothering your arse to check your facts, you're stupid.

These people should not be allowed to vote.
Original post by shreddingfish92

Wrong. People are stupid. They don't know whats good for them and shouldn't be trusted to make important decisions. A bunch of people voted leave because they don't like immigrants and want to go back to the days where everyone was white and Britain was a world superpower. And whenever they were told of the consequences they said stop trying to "scare" people and "we want our country back". People don't make informed decisions when they vote they believe whatever the media feeds them, and what there blind friends tell them.

The pound is currently crumbling and we've all just become 10 percent poorer and you idiots that voted leave are trying to argue that we'll be better off in the long run and it was all worth it to finally escape the tyranny of Brussels and the immigrants you blame all your problems on.

Scotland and Ireland will now leave the United Kingdom, a new general election will be called with Boris becoming the PM. It's likely we'll become a one party country with labour losing so many voters from Scotland. The NHS will be torn down as we can no longer afford it, university tuition will rise even higher because they don't have funding from europe and less foreign students will come to the uk and pay fees. We've lost all influence on the world stage now we're just another loser like the Netherlands. When the US wants something done in europe they'll be taking their money to Frankfurt in Germany.

In a population of 65 million 17 million wanted to leave, yet you keep arguing this is what the people want. If everyone over 14 was held at gun point and forced to vote we would've remained. But as usual older people who don't care about the economy and just don't like any colour that isn't white had the most say in the future of the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending