The Student Room Group

Studying A level biology outside of school

I'm looking to study A level biology this year, and I need to complete the full A level in one year. I'm not worried about the theory; I'm quite happy to teach all that to myself around work. My concern is the practicals. Are there A level biology courses that don't require any practicals, or that I can do from home? Or do I need to find a centre that will allow me to carry out practicals in evening classes or weekend classes? I work a 9-5 (which is often more like an 8-6) so I'm a little unsure as to whether it'll be possible for me to actually sit a Biology A level.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I'm looking to study A level biology this year, and I need to complete the full A level in one year. I'm not worried about the theory; I'm quite happy to teach all that to myself around work. My concern is the practicals. Are there A level biology courses that don't require any practicals, or that I can do from home? Or do I need to find a centre that will allow me to carry out practicals in evening classes or weekend classes? I work a 9-5 (which is often more like an 8-6) so I'm a little unsure as to whether it'll be possible for me to actually sit a Biology A level.

There are 16 core practicals that require a pass in all by universities now. Also, they may be in the morning which is not possible for you and yes you have to find an exam centre because it's treated like an assessment.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek

If you're doing the 2015 (new) spec, there are 12 required practicals which are related to the topics. they come up in exams like asking about the methodology and stuff. So I would say it is better to do the practicals as although they aren't marked like ISA's, you are able to understand the content more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending