The Student Room Group

Who thinks Nigel Farage should resign now?

Scroll to see replies

People who think UKIP will be irrelevant are miscalculating what's going to happen post Brexit. Do you honestly think the mainstream parties who have been pro mass immigration are suddenly going to do a 180? When the Government doesn't enforce the will of the people, they will be pushed to the extremes, UKIP will flourish. They don't need a name change either, they can just market themselves as the Party that took on everyone and won Britain it's independence, the only reason we're out of EU is because of Farage.

UKIP are going no where, I can only see an alliance between cultural conservatives & traditional labour voters getting stronger as Labour becomes a party of metropolitan comrades & immigrants & Cons stick to diet Blairism and 'austerity'.
Original post by InnerTemple
Along with other UKIP MEPs.

UKIP have made clear that they are just a protest party. They hardly do anything useful - they don't vote on things. And now the UK will at least be leaving the EU Parliament (we'll probably stay in the single market), there really is nothing left for these people to do.

So why should they get to stay and draw a wage?

Farage is a threat to our negotiation with the EU. He turned up at Parliament today and basically taunted everyone. We need to foster good relationships with the EU - Farage is toxic and just doesn't help.

I don't think he should resign now. I think he should have resigned years ago. Or better yet, never have gone into politics with his vitriolic little racist party who have undermined the whole leave campaign and presented it as entirely made up of racists.
Nigel deserves a knighthood for his tireless work in showing the EU for what it really is, an ever increasing federal bureaucracy of non elected officials controlled by big business. Arise Sir Nigel.
Fingers crossed!

ugh oh come on, you remainers are so spitfull. you lost, i bathe in your tears.
Will Farage get a pension and will he claim it?
I absolutely hate and get scared by the fact that some people in this country disrespect Nigel Farage. They are brainwashed.

Nigel Farage speaks the truth and is straight forward. He has spent the last 17 years fighting for us to have a EU referendum. If you look at his speeches in EU headquarters on Youtube, you will realise how much he has fought for our freedom. Nigel Farage is most of the reason why we had the EU referendum.

Nigel Farage might make a few mistakes every now and then, but that does not give us a reason to hate him, especially with what he has already done for us in the past 17 years.

The £350 million mistake was not Nigel Farage's fault.

Only thing that I dont like about Nigel Farage is his views on Islamic topics. Apart from that, he is good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Along with other UKIP MEPs.

UKIP have made clear that they are just a protest party. They hardly do anything useful - they don't vote on things. And now the UK will at least be leaving the EU Parliament (we'll probably stay in the single market), there really is nothing left for these people to do.

So why should they get to stay and draw a wage?

Farage is a threat to our negotiation with the EU. He turned up at Parliament today and basically taunted everyone. We need to foster good relationships with the EU - Farage is toxic and just doesn't help.

1.AHAHAHAH Please, get educated in poltics. They say quite the opposite! They have a wide range of policies, which it is clear you have not heard about, because you are not educated in politics. Either that, or you don't want to find out.

They are a party focused on democracy and independence (Farage is co for part for freedom and direct democracy). They will continue to fight for that.

They should stay because having a wide debate is good for democracy.

2. It seems clear to me, that you simply want to eliminate political opposition, quite remarkable. Farage is not toxic, he has 3,880,000 supporters.

TL;DR 1. You don't understand UKIP (Lack of knowledge?)
2. You just can't stand proper democracy, where there is a choice and a diverse debate
Original post by 999tigger
Will Farage get a pension and will he claim it?

I'd imagine MEPs get a VERY lucrative pension.

Also he should damn well claim it, he's been spending a huge amount of his expenses on his party not flash cars like most MEPs do (they don't have to explain what they spend expenses on)
Original post by JamesN88
We could go one step further and banish him to the British Antarctic Territory.

The poor, poor penguins...
I think he is still a laughing stock... along with the entire UK.*

No sooner had we declared independence and three regions of the UK started begging for EU money and we end up on our knees begging for favourable deals and continued membership of the single market.*

If UKIP are pointless they won't get any votes in 2020 so why not let them run in 2020 and lose? They can disappear from existence then
Original post by balanced
1.AHAHAHAH Please, get educated in poltics. They say quite the opposite! They have a wide range of policies, which it is clear you have not heard about, because you are not educated in politics. Either that, or you don't want to find out.

I'm quite clearly talking about their performance in the EU Parliament.*
Original post by balanced
I'd imagine MEPs get a VERY lucrative pension.

Also he should damn well claim it, he's been spending a huge amount of his expenses on his party not flash cars like most MEPs do (they don't have to explain what they spend expenses on)

Makes him a hypocrite imo if he continues to claim from an insitution he detests,
Original post by 999tigger
Makes him a hypocrite imo if he continues to claim from an insitution he detests,

He gets given it anyway, I find it highly honourable to get given money, pure money, and not to keep it for yourself.
Original post by Naveed-7
I absolutely hate and get scared by the fact that some people in this country disrespect Nigel Farage. They are brainwashed.

Indeed he does speak the truth, apart from all the lies he has now admitted were lies. You know - like the small matter of the £350 million the NHS now won't be getting.

He is in a rather interesting position. He can create as much damage as he likes with absolutely no consequence. Since he has no power, he doesn't have to deal with the fall out. He is like someone who crashes the party, trashes the place, sh1ts on the carpet and leaves. Not the sort of person I want representing my country thank you very much.
No, I can't blame him for having banter with the EU parliament. In addition, UKIP seems to be evolving into a more Thatcherite party rather than a 1 issue party.
Personally love the guy.
Original post by ByEeek
Indeed he does speak the truth, apart from all the lies he has now admitted were lies. You know - like the small matter of the £350 million the NHS now won't be getting.

He is in a rather interesting position. He can create as much damage as he likes with absolutely no consequence. Since he has no power, he doesn't have to deal with the fall out. He is like someone who crashes the party, trashes the place, sh1ts on the carpet and leaves. Not the sort of person I want representing my country thank you very much.

Except he never actually said that. He waxed general rhetoric about how the net figure we give to the EU would be better spent on public services in the UK. Like when Labour make meaningless generalised statements about funding every spending promise via 'closing tax loopholes'.
The idea that there was some ironclad guarantee that winning the referendum would magically compel future governments to spend all of the money on specifically the NHS is a preposterous strawman argument invented by salty Remainers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elitepower
Thats too nice, might I advise a deserted planet?*
But honestly, his speech today had a man holding his head in his hands with the level of arrogance. He is not going to do any good with Europe, he is just poisoning the well further and likely to trigger a harder response as a result. Get him far away from everything. *

I swear half of TSR members would apologise to someone who banged their wife.
The well is already poisoned. Let's not pretend the EU hasn't made and been making many derogatory remarks about the UK.
As per iterated prisoner's dilemma, negotiations are won by the strong. Kowtowing and kissing the EU's feet would likely make them think we are pushovers, and that is what would trigger a hardline stance from them. The rest of the world negotiates from positions of strength. Only in the UK do people think bending over backwards to appease the other side will result in favourable treatment for us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I trust the likes of Farage and Jacob Rees-Mogg a hell of a lot more than say Corbyn or Hillary Benn.

At least the former two actually had jobs before they went into Politics. Funnily enough most of the Remain group like Hillary are career politicians.
Original post by ...Charlie...
People who think UKIP will be irrelevant are miscalculating what's going to happen post Brexit. Do you honestly think the mainstream parties who have been pro mass immigration are suddenly going to do a 180? When the Government doesn't enforce the will of the people, they will be pushed to the extremes, UKIP will flourish. They don't need a name change either, they can just market themselves as the Party that took on everyone and won Britain it's independence, the only reason we're out of EU is because of Farage.

UKIP are going no where, I can only see an alliance between cultural conservatives & traditional labour voters getting stronger as Labour becomes a party of metropolitan comrades & immigrants & Cons stick to diet Blairism and 'austerity'.

I agree with your analysis, most likely the Leave politicians negotiating the deal will end up negotiating a deal involving full or nearly full free movement, that will be the necessary condition for getting single market access and free trade, as Norway and Switzerland have to accept for their deals. The practical realities of digging in on free movement mean leaving with very bad terms of trade which will not be acceptable to the business community. So there will be a market for people who say "we were sold out" which will go to UKIP.

As for Farage, it is hard to say because one thing about UKIP post 2015, it is very disorganised and ravaged by a lot of in fighting. Farage seems to have a lot of enemies there. I don't think he is a very good politician or party leader of a political organisation. He is more effective as a sole voice for a movement like the Leave campaign.

I also think now some of his appetite for politics will have gone. I don't think he is as wedded to the anti-immigration theme as his rhetoric suggests. In the end he is from the world of finance and those are his chums and the world of finance will prioritise single market access, protecting the City and giving financial services a passport to provide services across Europe. The EU will probably force us to accept free movement to get this and so Farage will probably accept that.

I'm not sure whether he is willing to go against the interests of his friends in the City, to stand up for working class people who are concerned about immigration....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending