The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
How strict is Cambridge for blocking stuff on the internet network?

Not very strict at all unless you plan to commit crimes.

I remember possibly reading that they use eduroam, pretty sure blocks ports for most online games.
Partly related, my college handbook says I can bring a TV but doesnt limit how big they can be (unlike my old university), its safe to assume I can bring a big TV right?

If you like, don't expect to have too much time to play games on it or access to an aerial. In my experience the JCR is for that sort of thing.
Thanks, so you've seen PS4's working online? Surely everything needs PAT testing then, including laptops ect.

Yes, when they did it for me they just came in during the day when I was out and put the usual green stickers on all the electronics.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Not very strict at all unless you plan to commit crimes.

If you like, don't expect to have too much time to play games on it or access to an aerial. In my experience the JCR is for that sort of thing.

Mainly just to relax in the evenings, hopefully going to be in a newly built accommodation block that my college has (although most probably not offered accommodation and dumped into a house).
Thanks, so you've seen PS4's working online? Surely everything needs PAT testing then, including laptops ect.

Certain things do, not quite sure what the criteria is. E.g my printer didn't need pat testing, but my extension strip did. Hairdryer also. Laptop chargers no idea, but my macbook charger didn't need to.

I haven't personally seen anybody with a games console nope
Original post by Protoxylic
Certain things do, not quite sure what the criteria is. E.g my printer didn't need pat testing, but my extension strip did. Hairdryer also. Laptop chargers no idea, but my macbook charger didn't need to.

It's probably college dependent because i have testing stickers on the power supplies for both my laptop and printer.

I second this. Someone brought a Wii with them after Christmas but they left it in the JCR.

Do people not get time for games consoles :frown:
Do people not get time for games consoles :frown:

I mean you do have time to not do work if you work efficiently, but in that time people don't tend to stay in their rooms and play :tongue:
I mean you do have time to not do work if you work efficiently, but in that time people don't tend to stay in their rooms and play :tongue:

I only sleep for 6 hours so I may find time. Will be interesting to see this post in a year.
I only sleep for 6 hours so I may find time. Will be interesting to see this post in a year.

It's interesting to read back over my year's future freshers thread from last year (I'm not sure I was involved in the offer-holders one despite being on TSR daily) and see how we were all fretting over the most minor things.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
It's interesting to read back over my year's future freshers thread from last year (I'm not sure I was involved in the offer-holders one despite being on TSR daily) and see how we were all fretting over the most minor things.

Not a proper fresher as I'm postgrad so I dont have the little worries freshers have. I've really not look much into my course/Cambridge life however. No idea where stuff is other than my college loool.
Hey guys, are there any Law offer holders here? I'd just like to ask a few questions about the interview, and a few questions in general since my college is pretty useless. Im in year 12, and am hoping to apply next year but idk, after totally messing up my C1, i feel like i might end up with a B or something in maths despite getting close to full marks in all practice papers.

Congrats to you all for getting offers!
Original post by Questioner1234
Are legal streaming sites like Netflix/Amazon prime allowed?

Yes as far as I know. Certainly they are widely used.
Hi Everyone

I know I was not active here at all. But your posts on this thread kept me alive all the way to the result day today :smile: I am applying from Poland for engineering. My offer was:
90% in advanced math
90% in advanced physics
90% Overall Grade
All in Matura (our national secondary school exam)

Sadly my results are
84% Advanced math
100% advanced physics
89,5% or 90,1% Overall Grade (the lower one is the one where I take oral exams into account. Since they are random and depend on the school you attend and the teacher that you have your exam with, our universities do not take them into account. I do not know about Cambridge though)

My Overall grade is lowered only because of literature exam :frown: I have "100%" in everything aside from literature and Advanced Math
The results are devastating for me. So close, yet so far

I will phone my College tomorrow. I hope you all guys will get accepted. We all should pursue our dreams. I think this pursuit of mine. Even if without result. Was something magical. Attending the interview and seeing Cambridge with my own eyes. I hope everything goes better for everyone else!

Good Luck Everyone! :biggrin:
Original post by Serine Soul
Smh I'm sure you can go a few weeks without the pron

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HUNTER297
Hi Everyone

I know I was not active here at all. But your posts on this thread kept me alive all the way to the result day today :smile: I am applying from Poland for engineering. My offer was:
90% in advanced math
90% in advanced physics
90% Overall Grade
All in Matura (our national secondary school exam)

Sadly my results are
84% Advanced math
100% advanced physics
89,5% or 90,1% Overall Grade (the lower one is the one where I take oral exams into account. Since they are random and depend on the school you attend and the teacher that you have your exam with, our universities do not take them into account. I do not know about Cambridge though)

My Overall grade is lowered only because of literature exam :frown: I have "100%" in everything aside from literature and Advanced Math
The results are devastating for me. So close, yet so far

I will phone my College tomorrow. I hope you all guys will get accepted. We all should pursue our dreams. I think this pursuit of mine. Even if without result. Was something magical. Attending the interview and seeing Cambridge with my own eyes. I hope everything goes better for everyone else!

Good Luck Everyone! :biggrin:

I hope that you'll get in.
Reply 1275
I started looking at the reading list for economics and thought that, due to the large overlap and sheer amount of books, I wouldn't get all of the ones recommended in the list. I realise I will probably need them as textbooks next year (though they can be gotten from the various libraries) but how many are people getting and reading in preparation (all subjects)? Also I tend to read books cover to cover - would it be a better idea to only read only the unknown and important bits in more books or cover a few thoroughly? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone getting their IB results!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope you're all well... I haven't been here in a while. Results day panic hasn't kicked in yet but I feel it coming around the corner!
Original post by BioOx
I hope that you'll get in.

They said that I need to wait for A-Levels results, which is quite understandable. Somehow, I am quite positive :smile:
Original post by HUNTER297
They said that I need to wait for A- results, which is quite understandable. Somehow, I am quite positive :smile:

I'm routing for you!

Latest

Trending

Trending